The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

January 2024 Sumo TSC Contest

Been an excellent basho so far. I am not surprised at all by the two pull outs. One with the neck, and the other is like cursed and will never get his ozeki rank back.
Poor Takayasu… when he’s on, he’s on, but dang it he can’t stay healthy..

Also one last note... Poor Atamifuji... he is learning just how difficult the M1 rank is. I am still hoping he can get to 8, but it will need to come in second half of the basho

Poor Takayasu… when he’s on, he’s on, but dang it he can’t stay healthy..
Very true! Another one is Mitakeumi... he has looked good this basho but is that just because he is in the rank he belongs? Or can 2024 be a run back to Sanyaku for him... I assume not because he seems to not be able to stay healthy either.

Also one last note... Poor Atamifuji... he is learning just how difficult the M1 rank is. I am still hoping he can get to 8, but it will need to come in second half of the basho
Yep, poor Ura ends up there a lot and gets creamed! Atamifuji will just have to get stronger. He’s being overpowered by the top guys at the moment.

Very true! Another one is Mitakeumi... he has looked good this basho but is that just because he is in the rank he belongs? Or can 2024 be a run back to Sanyaku for him... I assume not because he seems to not be able to stay healthy either.
I’d say Mita is where he belongs. He gets hurt far too often to chill out in the sanyaku. I’d say Asanoyama will be back to Sanyaku sometime this year for sure(if he stays healthy).

Yep, poor Ura ends up there a lot and gets creamed! Atamifuji will just have to get stronger. He’s being overpowered by the top guys at the moment.
I think Ura breaks the new Komusubi curse and gets 8. But his matches will probably be harder now with Takayasu out.

I’d say Mita is where he belongs. He gets hurt far too often to chill out in the sanyaku. I’d say Asanoyama will be back to Sanyaku sometime this year for sure(if he stays healthy).
Agreed

I think Ura breaks the new Komusubi curse and gets 8. But his matches will probably be harder now with Takayasu out.

Agreed
Ura may be one of my top five favorites, but the poor guy gets thrown around like a rag doll sometimes.

Surprised Gonoyama didn't play tachiai games today... :LOL: :LOL:

WOW, only 1 win from all the M1-M4 crew???

Gonoyama with the solitary win? Wow!

BTW, ANOTHER Killer win from Hoshoru, the dude is a monster!

WOW, only 1 win from all the M1-M4 crew???
Hang on a sec, just to be clear what we're talking about. There are more wins in M1-M4, just not among the picks we made (if that's what you meant).

1705508097296.png

Interesting pick stats, if you care.

8 players. Here are the picks where the majority of us had the same pick.

Makuuchi
6 - Kirishima
5 - Asanoyama
4 - Kotonowaka, Atamifuji

Juryo
5 - Takerufuji
4 - Kotoeko

And here are the lone-wolf picks.

Makuuchi
Gonoyama, Ryuden, Tsurugisho, Takanosho, Oho, Onosho, Churanoumi, Takarafuji, Aoiyama

Juryo
Daiamami, Tokihayate, Tamashoho, Kagayaki, Shiden, Shishi, Shimanoumi, Daishoho, Hakuyozan, Chiyosakae

Last edited:
Hang on a sec, just to be clear what we're talking about. There are more wins in M1-M4, just not among the picks we made (if that's what you meant).

View attachment 125213

Interesting pick stats, if you care.

8 players. Here are the picks where the majority of us had the same pick.

Makuuchi
6 - Kirishima
5 - Asanoyama
4 - Kotonowaka, Atamifuji

Juryo
5 - Takerufuji
4 - Kotoeko

And here are the lone-wolf picks.

Makuuchi
Gonoyama, Ryuden, Tsurugisho, Takanosho, Oho, Onosho, Churanoumi, Takarafuji, Aoiyama

Juryo
Daiamami, Tokihayate, Tamashoho, Kagayaki, Shiden, Shishi, Shimanoumi, Daishoho, Hakuyozan, Chiyosakae
Yep out of our picks :)

Crazy to think he actually won a basho not that long back.

Some great work put in by Asanoyama! the Man is on a roll.

I'm glad to see Hokuseiho pull out a win. This guy is huge and should be performing better. Hakuho even said in recent press breifing that he needed to pull deeper and train harder. I'd hate to see him be another Tall heavy guy who underperforms.

It's a wonder that Midorifuji can fool the Yokozuna debutant, but ol Shodai decides to show up and manhandle him today.

I love seeing Atamifuji work hard for his first win, but I hate seeing Tibizaru loose, he's always so humble when he does.

Diasho RECOVERED SO well from Wakamotoharu's shoulder shuck!!! I cannot believe he didn't finish him off when he had the chance! What a recovery!

Kotonowaka, undefeated 5 matches into the Basho! He could finally be mounting that ozekie run! 13 wins could seal the deal for him! [/ISPOILER]

Hoshoru SOLIDLY upset by Gonoyama! This is surprising!

The Yokozuna still has it, but for how much longer? He's moving better than he was on day 3, but I feel a withdrawal coming any day now.

Have fun clicking all the spoilers lol

Last edited:
Back