The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'm No Good at Journals...

Best of luck with the little one. There are still 'normal' bugs going around too. My good friend also had a scare, wife and daughter down, one with sore lungs, so the got tested. Was happy to hear when he told me it was negative.

Still, it's good to be safe, you just don't know until you get the test. I guess sense of smell disappearing is one of the more unique to COIVD symptoms. But that can happen a many days after first coming down with it too.

Well, I had a great first day out, since knowing we didn't have COVID. I only ever had a small cough that lasted for a day, but the kiddo and wife both had fevers, chills, and coughing. Thankfully everyone is all healed up and feeling well again. Nate even went back to school today!
Yesterday, Nate and I decided to go out for an ice cream in the early afternoon and while out, we decided to walk around the new estate/antique shop in our local mall. I scored a NOS tube of Noxzema Lather shaving cream for a couple of bucks and a NIB/NOS Floris Shaving brush. I didn't realize Floris made brushes and further more, I didn't expect them to have been made in England. Its a sturdy pure badger with a really nice handle, I'm not sure if I'd use it as I already have too many brushes in rotation.
Last week I had found a listing on Facebook Marketplace for an AOS Thiers Issard 6/8 and an AOS Silvertip badger brush in horn. I contacted the seller, but was pretty suspicious of the listing because it was WAY lower that what I would have expected it to be listed for. He didn't get back to me for several days and when he did, we thought we had COVID, so I asked if we could meet up after a week or so. He apologized for not getting back to me and said he wanted to give it to me for $20 less for being late responding and because I was so nice and would drive to pick it up(Great GUY!). Fast forward to yesterday evening, he asked me if I could drive to Bellville, IL to pick it up. So, after Nate and I finished up at the mall, we made the 30 min drive to IL. Honestly, I expected the razor to have a crack or for one side to be rusted or something. He arrived and I was stunned to find the razor was in perfect condition, he said he only had used it once or twice, the same for the brush. He said the razor, brush and a strop were gifts from his parents, when he started college. and went on to say, that his dog had chewed up his strop right after his first shave and he never bought a new one and had horrible shaves from it "my loss your gain." SO, then it came down to exchanging cash, I handed him the money and he promptly said, "Beer Money!" He said thank you and walked into the gas station we met at, to buy two cases of Bush Light.....

If his parents only know how little he sold a set that would retail for $505.00 as a set on the AOS website..... He was right, "his loss, my gain." Such is the way it goes in razor hunting, some times you win and win big and other times, you loose and loose hard....

Glad everyone is feeling better, it's been a good week
10.13 Score.jpg

SOTD 10.13.2020
10.13.2020.JPG

Great first shave with TDS Shaving Soap. The juniper scent is intense, but very enjoyable. I’d compare the soap base to the Spearhead’s Seaforth base, but it seems to need a bit more water. Nice slickness and post shave feel, I kinda dig it! I’ll review the other two scents shortly.

Matt

Well, I had a great first day out, since knowing we didn't have COVID. I only ever had a small cough that lasted for a day, but the kiddo and wife both had fevers, chills, and coughing. Thankfully everyone is all healed up and feeling well again. Nate even went back to school today!
Yesterday, Nate and I decided to go out for an ice cream in the early afternoon and while out, we decided to walk around the new estate/antique shop in our local mall. I scored a NOS tube of Noxzema Lather shaving cream for a couple of bucks and a NIB/NOS Floris Shaving brush. I didn't realize Floris made brushes and further more, I didn't expect them to have been made in England. Its a sturdy pure badger with a really nice handle, I'm not sure if I'd use it as I already have too many brushes in rotation.
Last week I had found a listing on Facebook Marketplace for an AOS Thiers Issard 6/8 and an AOS Silvertip badger brush in horn. I contacted the seller, but was pretty suspicious of the listing because it was WAY lower that what I would have expected it to be listed for. He didn't get back to me for several days and when he did, we thought we had COVID, so I asked if we could meet up after a week or so. He apologized for not getting back to me and said he wanted to give it to me for $20 less for being late responding and because I was so nice and would drive to pick it up(Great GUY!). Fast forward to yesterday evening, he asked me if I could drive to Bellville, IL to pick it up. So, after Nate and I finished up at the mall, we made the 30 min drive to IL. Honestly, I expected the razor to have a crack or for one side to be rusted or something. He arrived and I was stunned to find the razor was in perfect condition, he said he only had used it once or twice, the same for the brush. He said the razor, brush and a strop were gifts from his parents, when he started college. and went on to say, that his dog had chewed up his strop right after his first shave and he never bought a new one and had horrible shaves from it "my loss your gain." SO, then it came down to exchanging cash, I handed him the money and he promptly said, "Beer Money!" He said thank you and walked into the gas station we met at, to buy two cases of Bush Light.....

If his parents only know how little he sold a set that would retail for $505.00 as a set on the AOS website..... He was right, "his loss, my gain." Such is the way it goes in razor hunting, some times you win and win big and other times, you loose and loose hard....

Glad everyone is feeling better, it's been a good week
View attachment 37786

SOTD 10.13.2020
View attachment 37787
Glad you and your family don't have Covid. I used to use the Noxema shave cream all the time when I lived in Germany. Loved it.

Glad you and your family don't have Covid. I used to use the Noxema shave cream all the time when I lived in Germany. Loved it.
Hahaha, that was a year ago already! 😂

Still, thanks!!! I gotta get back to this journal thing! I use the noxema sparingly, but it is brilliant stuff!

25895B2C-F2BD-4965-9FE1-643A59AB1FD0.jpeg
SOTD 11/07/2021
Pre-shave: Stirling menthol pre-shave
Soap: Sebum Gold: Aqua
Witch hazel: Theyer’s Cucumber (thanks @Spider )
Aftershave: Sebum Gold: Aqua
Razor: Wade and Butcher 5/8 half hollow
Brush: Alpha Chubberset prototype synthetic

I was generously PIFed this soap and aftershave by @Fenster, who recieved it as a PIF from @BarberDave. Let me just say, many times, expectations do not meet reality, but if you have low expectations and if the product meets or exceeds your expectations you are pleasantly surprised. In this case, I came in with low expectations as I do for many new soaps. Due in part to the financial shock and awe of this product(look up their website and you’ll see what I mean), I forced myself to not expect it to reach the stars. Now for the shave and properties off the soap. The scent is subjective, but it does have a salty, sandy, sea leathery scent to it, it’s not my cup of tea, but it is interesting on its own. The latherablility of this soap is suspect and NOT what I would expect from a product that carries its immense price tag. Let me say that I’ve shaved with this soap for the last three days and started out by lathering it with a Badger brush, in the traditional manner(damp, mostly rung out brush) I took an almond sized portion of the croap and deposited it on the bottom of my scuttle and built the lather until it was a sticky white paste on the brush tips. Taking it to my face after this point, I worked the lather on my damp paste until I started lightly dipping the tips of the brush into hot water, to build the lather up. It quickly got a moist feel and a glossy sheen to it, which in most cases is great. My expectation was a luxuriously thick, protective, and slick lather, but the reality was a thin yet slick, watery lather with little body, and basically no cushion(this is after three days of lathering it). Pass one was WTG and was ok and somewhat comfortable, but it was no where near as protective a lather as I was used to and could feel some irritation on my neck and under my lower lip. Pass two, XTG was a noticeably thinner lather than pass one with zero cushion, but it was still pretty slick. Taking my time, I ended up with a fair pass, but it was uncomfortable and the lather was super watery. I wasn’t paying attention to the lather on my blade and didn’t notice it running down the spine and into the pivot 😡. This never happens with any other soap I use and water in the pivot is a major pet peeve of mine. Once I noticed this, I had to rinse the blade constantly so it wouldn’t run down the razor and on my hand and the pivot. By the end of this pass my cheeks were both sensitive. Final ATG pass, the lather would turn my cheeks white if I painted it on, but quickly dissipated there after, though it was still moderately slick. I felt at this point that the lather was enough to get the razor to glide around my face, but had no protective properties left to it. Post shave feel, I had pink cheeks, chin, and neck and felt sore all over.
This is not due to lack of keenness on my razor or technique(I’ve been wet shaving 10 years). I have shaved with a straight razor well over 1000 times and their razor passes the HHT easily with a 4 times used Escher edge. Say what you will about my lathering ability or shaving technique, but a soap that costs as much as this one should explode into a luxuriously thick and protective lather as soon as my brush touches it. There shouldn’t need to be a manual written on how to lather it. Especially if test lathering this soap is going to cost you $5-10 each use!
Now thankfully the aftershave contains zero alcohol, because my face would have been on fire. The aftershave oil, there’s no other thing to call it, definitely soothed my enraged cheeks and neck. The scent is basically all leather, like a salty leather and dried down to a salty seaweed scent in my opinion. I do like the way the aftershave feels and how quickly it was absorbed into my skin, but my skin was still a bit sensitive after a couple of hours. Overall, I’m giving the shave a 3/10, I managed an uncomfortable DFS.
This being my third shave with this particular soap and aftershave I’ve determined that I like and would use the aftershave on occasion, but I feel as though Williams, Arko, and Palmolive shaving soaps are all more luxurious and protective than Sebum shaving soap.

I am very grateful to both @BarberDave and @Fenster for generously providing me the opportunity to try a soap and aftershave I would otherwise never try.

I feel as though Williams, Arko, and Palmolive shaving soaps are all more luxurious and protective than Sebum shaving soap.
Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

Back