The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'm No Good at Journals...

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Hi all,

Matt here, I'm not very good at keeping up with Journals, but here we go....

For those of you that don't know me, I've been wet shaving for 8 years. I got into the hobby while trying to save BIG Money!!! As with most guys that start wet shaving, it quickly turned into a fantastic hobby. The guys on the forums, especially the founders have greatly exacerbated my acquisition disorders, beyond measure. I'm thankful for the wonderful community TSC has become and I'm really enjoying becoming a more active member of the discussion.

I enjoy the hunt for vintage shaving and barber items and it has been a pleasure to pick up so fantastic scores! I'll try to share my scores on this page as well as my daily shaves(Likely won't be daily, but one can hope).

I also enjoy restoring straight razors, brushes, and strops. Though, I'm more apt to purchase New Old Stock razors or blades that need much less work now days. Though, if I were retired, I think I'd buy ratty old razors an restore them completely as a daily side hustle.

Shave #1

Razor: Ern 10 Years Guarantee, 6/8 Full hollow.
Soap: Williams Tonsorial Shaving Soap
Brush: Alpha Brush T-400(Prototype) Silvertip Badger
Aftershave: Vintage Williams Aqua Velva

Had a very relaxing shave with this setup. The Tonsorial shaving soap definitely needs to be pulled out more often. The lather this soap produces is absolutely wonderful and most definitely on par with any of my premium soaps. I still have 7 unused pucks in a barber pack in the basement, I think I'll be set for life....

The ERN was fantastic, for a first shave. It came to me NOS, from Facebook Marketplace. Found it in a lot with a bunch of mostly barber junk, but it was most definitely the star of the show. Honed on a medium slurry on a Coticule and finished on my Escher Barbers Delight. It honed like a dream, I couldn't be much happier with it.

Have a great start to the week everyone!
08.03.2020.jpg

Welcome to the journals, Matt! Lovely first entry. Don't worry too much about keeping up. We all fall behind intermittently, but pick back up without skipping a beat.

What kind of restorations do you have planned? I've taken a bit of a liking to restoring straights myself too. I found it's a great way for my to pass the time, and my sporadic ADHD really facilitates it when I get in the groove. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the journals, Matt! Lovely first entry. Don't worry too much about keeping up. We all fall behind intermittently, but pick back up without skipping a beat.

What kind of restorations do you have planned? I've taken a bit of a liking to restoring straights myself too. I found it's a great way for my to pass the time, and my sporadic ADHD really facilitates it when I get in the groove. :ROFLMAO:
Thank you Ben! Yeah, I'll do my best!!!

Right this moment:
- I need to remove a small frown from a Boker Edelweiss.
- Cleanup and re-pin a F. Fenny Tally Ho.
- Remove heavy rust, stabilize horn scales, and re-pin Wade and Butcher Wedge.
- Make new scales from honey horn, clean up, and re-pin Greaves stub tail.
- Clean up and re-pin Wester Bros Manganese Steel razor.
- Salvage several sets of scales and re-pin to razors in waiting.
- Drill out Merit Brush and polish
- Flatten vintage translucent Arkansas Stone

Loads more to do, but that's all I could think of at the moment. I'm the exact same, when I get in the groove I can knock out all this in a day or two. What do you have on your list?

MATT, great to see you start the journal. Just killed a tonsorial myself but only 1 tonsorial and 1 vintage puck of Williams left for me so good but not as good a shape as you. Man your a busy guy. Subscribed

I still have 7 unused pucks in a barber pack in the basement,
Only 7???? LOL

Welcome to the Journals! I barely keep up with mine, preferring to just keep up whit my VLOG for the most part, so no worries man. Update when you can!

Welcome to the journals finally Matt! That Ern is doing pretty good for just having the 10 years warranty! :ROFLMAO:

Shave #2

Soap: Barrister and Mann Lime Lavender and Cedarwood

Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Lime Lavender and Cedarwood
Brush: M&F Super Badger
Razor: Dubl Duck Wonderedge Full Hollow(Freshly Honed and Stropped)

Strop: Tony Miller Old #2(20 linen and 65 leather)

SOTD 08.04.2020.jpg
Good Afternoon,

We got up early this morning. Iryna's car is in the shop, so we got an early start, because we knew I would be giving her a ride to work. My sweet mother stopped by to take my son to daycare, so Iryna and I could go out to an early morning breakfast at First Watch. We had a fantastic morning out and then went to vote, no line to speak of either! The weather here in Missouri was amazing this morning, 61F with low humidity!!! This is unheard of during August, 80F and Humid in the morning is the norm....

As for the 5:00 am shave! I acquired this razor a couple months ago and just got around to honing it this last Saturday. It honed up really well and was absolutely sticky, once I was honing with just water on the Escher. This is only the second Duble Duck in my stable. My very first Duck was a rat razor satin wedge that was so worn, I could not get a decent edge out of it. This one on the other hand..... The shave was without fault, a BBS all over with no weepers, nicks, or other bloodletting. I picked the Soap and AS this morning because it is one of my wife's favorite scents, so I had to pick it if she was have breakfast with me. Great performance out of these Barrister and Mann products, they are perfect every time (I'm still smelling a hint of it all these hours later).

Have a great evening everyone!

Matt

Back