The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'm No Good at Journals...

Hoping for a fast recovery/quarantine for you all Matt!

Sorry to hear about the Covid Matt - glad everything is mild and that you're able to find the silver lining of having your son home!

Oh man, what a pain. A 4-year-old can add spice to a zoom meeting though :)

iu

Covid sucks … get well soon.

I hope everyone recovers quickly my friend!

Thanks guys, you’re the best. Lucky we are all healthy and should be fine

Life is good! House is coming along, shaving den is unfolding slowly... We are working on clearing out the items for the shed, from the garage. Once this is done, I will need to build a workbench for restorations and update my sanding, buffing, and scale making stands. Someday, I'll have to update a sink in the basement for honing, but until then the kitchen sink will do.

Family is good! Nate starts his new Catholic School on Monday. We've been driving him 40 minutes to STL for his old school this last week. Thankfully that will be over soon. I hope he'll adjust well, I'm sure he will.

Looking forward to the day we are fully unpacked and we can utilize the huge deck to have friends and family over!

Take it easy friends!

Life is good! House is coming along, shaving den is unfolding slowly... We are working on clearing out the items for the shed, from the garage. Once this is done, I will need to build a workbench for restorations and update my sanding, buffing, and scale making stands. Someday, I'll have to update a sink in the basement for honing, but until then the kitchen sink will do.

Family is good! Nate starts his new Catholic School on Monday. We've been driving him 40 minutes to STL for his old school this last week. Thankfully that will be over soon. I hope he'll adjust well, I'm sure he will.

Looking forward to the day we are fully unpacked and we can utilize the huge deck to have friends and family over!

Take it easy friends!
Great update!

I hate moving. We start on Friday (me and my stepson) and the missus wants everything moved and the kitchen and master bedroom/bath setup before we stop. Everything else can come later for her. It’s brutal.

Great update!

I hate moving. We start on Friday (me and my stepson) and the missus wants everything moved and the kitchen and master bedroom/bath setup before we stop. Everything else can come later for her. It’s brutal.
Absolutely BRUTAL... Still exhausted almost two weeks later... Best wishes and good luck!

WELL CRAP!!!!!! I shaved yesterday with Fine American Blend aftershave and Martin de Candre..... The hand that I poured the aftershave into is showing signs of contact dermatitis similar to what I was receiving from Tabac & Old Spice. The soap couldn't have been the perpetrator, because it's only really affecting my left hand and a small amount on my left hand between the fingers. Also, I've used this soap and Nivea balm MANY times over the last year with no issues. Now, the Fine American blend has been out of commission for quite some time at the back of my den. Its so weird that my FACE is completely fine with no residual affects, where as my fingers and the back of my hand are red and swollen! The only other thing that could have bothered me was a spray of a Creed Aventus doup that I bought in Belarus several years ago, but it was only sprayed on my shirt this morning not on skin. I've taken Ibuprofen and used some cortisone cream from the last time I had this... Hopefully I don't get blisters and peeling skin like last time....

The funny thing is I thought maybe the Fine Soap was bothering me, so I stopped using it some time ago and was shy of the aftershave until just yesterday(at least a year or two since I used it). Fine soaps were made by the same company as Tabac right?

The Matt," do not use these list":
  • Fine Aftershaves and likely soaps
  • Tabac aftershave and soap
  • Old Spice aftershave and soap
  • Foaming Bathroom Soaps
  • Walmart Soft soap liquid hand soap

It should clear up in the next week or so, but ice packs and ibuprofen will been needed for the next day or so....

Interesting on the Fine AB - since it's just water alcohol and the frag, must be something he uses in that frag that's causing the reaction. While I love AB, I've always been a little annoyed on the price point cause it is just those few ingredients. 🤷‍♂️

Interesting on the Fine AB - since it's just water alcohol and the frag, must be something he uses in that frag that's causing the reaction. While I love AB, I've always been a little annoyed on the price point cause it is just those few ingredients. 🤷‍♂️
This was my thought too, something in the fragrance. I have a similar reaction to the fragrance Hugo Boss.

Back