The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'm No Good at Journals...

But not one that was unexpected….
its-true.gif

Well Matt,
Sorry for your experience. I should preface this by saying i think the product, again the product is fine. Is it worth the price NO. As mention this soap, as is CBL Orion, are two soaps in a completely different class of soaps, and have a pretty complicated way of lathering to accomplish the best results. It should be noted that the original pif, was based on other factors and not the product itself. That not withstanding there are some key factors in my opinion on success with this soap, sadly as we all know, traditionally sample sizes do not always result in the best overall experience, and this soap does not like bowl lathering
1. Synthetic brush
2. Starting with an almost dry brush
3. Swirl and create a pasted
4. Take to face and being to build. In my experience it starts off a gloppy mess, as does Orion
5. You just barely dip the tips of the brush and build so more ( this may take a few times, dont rush it)
6. There will come a time when it will explode into a darn near perfect lather

It should be noted that i have VERY HARD water and very akaline. I have had better luck with my hard water than the supposed “soft water is the best”. Again this is in my experience. I refer you to my video some years ago on this to show my explanation
Again soaps and the expereince, and diversity of how a soap lathers, and reacts are such a subjective and individual process that there are no “real answers”, as we have discussed via telephone.

Also just for info, to you, and to those that the original, and subsequent pif are concerned, i have been informed and got the feeling that the true feelings on this soap, are being withheld to prevent any “hard feelings”. To me if you like it post it, if you hate it post it. It does not really matter, nor does it hurt anyones feelings. As I said, my original PIF had to do with the Business Practices, not the product and it was better for me to PIF it than toss it away.

Sorry for the long winded response, but i wanted to clarify

Again, sorry your experience was not up to your expectations, I would only suggest trying it again

Well Matt,
Sorry for your experience. I should preface this by saying i think the product, again the product is fine. Is it worth the price NO. As mention this soap, as is CBL Orion, are two soaps in a completely different class of soaps, and have a pretty complicated way of lathering to accomplish the best results. It should be noted that the original pif, was based on other factors and not the product itself. That not withstanding there are some key factors in my opinion on success with this soap, sadly as we all know, traditionally sample sizes do not always result in the best overall experience, and this soap does not like bowl lathering
1. Synthetic brush
2. Starting with an almost dry brush
3. Swirl and create a pasted
4. Take to face and being to build. In my experience it starts off a gloppy mess, as does Orion
5. You just barely dip the tips of the brush and build so more ( this may take a few times, dont rush it)
6. There will come a time when it will explode into a darn near perfect lather

It should be noted that i have VERY HARD water and very akaline. I have had better luck with my hard water than the supposed “soft water is the best”. Again this is in my experience. I refer you to my video some years ago on this to show my explanation
Again soaps and the expereince, and diversity of how a soap lathers, and reacts are such a subjective and individual process that there are no “real answers”, as we have discussed via telephone.

Also just for info, to you, and to those that the original, and subsequent pif are concerned, i have been informed and got the feeling that the true feelings on this soap, are being withheld to prevent any “hard feelings”. To me if you like it post it, if you hate it post it. It does not really matter, nor does it hurt anyones feelings. As I said, my original PIF had to do with the Business Practices, not the product and it was better for me to PIF it than toss it away.

Sorry for the long winded response, but i wanted to clarify

Again, sorry your experience was not up to your expectations, I would only suggest trying it again
Thanks Dave, but you got me wrong, my experience was exactly within my expectations. I thought the product was overrated and overpriced and I think at least in my experience, it was guilty on both counts.

Also just for info, to you, and to those that the original, and subsequent pif are concerned, i have been informed and got the feeling that the true feelings on this soap, are being withheld to prevent any “hard feelings”.
Well that was probably caused by me. After being contacted by a couple people that had received samples from me and had asked me my opinion, I shared with them the follow.

"Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed by the soap, which is why I haven't said anything publicly in the forums about it as I did not want to seem ungrateful for the very generous PIF I received. To me the soap is just OK. I thought it took extra work to lather and was just average. Another member who got a sample contacted me and said he had a difficult time getting it to lather well. I agree that the aftershave is certainly an oil. I did like the face feel that it provided but I don't usually use a post oil so I could take it or leave it. The scent was just ok to me, while not strong I thought the scent from the oil lasted a long time and that would be ok if I really liked it but unfortunately it is not a favorite of mine. Bottom line for me is that after trying it I would not purchase this set at any any price, much less the extremely high cost that this retails for. Again, I am super grateful to BarberDave for the PIF and the opportunity to try it, but it is just not a top performer for me.".

Thanks Dave, but you got me wrong, my experience was exactly within my expectations. I thought the product was overrated and overpriced and I think at least in my experience, it was guilty on both counts.
No Matt you took my response wrong, I was making no judgement at all, like all soaps you will find 100 people that love it and 100 that don't . Frankly it does not really matter whether someone likes it or not, hence the reason I got rid of it, I was just trying to illustrate the process to provide the best results. It's just soap, and I am glad I was able to pif it, I dont place a cost on soaps too many other things in life to worry about, LOL

It’s been a crazy week and now our family is on the Covid bandwagon…. We’re all feeling okay, but work from home with a 4 year old is near impossible. It’s still great to have him home with us regardless.

Shaving has been great with Yardley as I continue the 3017. I’ve used my Gillette Sheridan a lot over the last few days because it’s fast and efficient. Looking to get back to my straights this weekend.

Back