The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

Shave #42 (672 Open Blade Shaves) of 2023:

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Spartan Burl brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, Speick AS, and Commes Des Garçons Avignon to finish!

Non-typical Saturday in progress. Relatively a bit slower and no OT workout or going out. Fighting off a bit of sinus junk and the missus has Zoom class intensives all weekend. So woke up a tad later than usual and making a leisurely day out of going about chores and chilling.

Great shave this morning, post uber hot shower. Long awaited journey of finding a good churchy incense begins! It started back with, whether he realizes it or not, @dangerousdon having mercy in a certain joke box that was sent along to me by folks unnamed. In that box he included what was left of a decent decant of Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh…opening me up to a world where churchy incense was a frag possibility. After that I discovered a deep love for the scent of AOS’ Olibanum & Pepper shave cream as well. It’s the scent profile I didn’t know I needed!

Fast forward to today’s shave. With the mini samples I received yesterday from Lucky Scent (unfortunately they only offer .7 ml vials, so no atomizer), I was stoked! Used mostly fleeting and unobtrusive scents for the shave itself, which was superb, with a fresh Feather Pro to pave the way. This morning I used half my sample of Avignon. This one is often pointed to as the quintessential frag to try for someone interested in dabbling in the incense world. It’s described as austere, cold, like Catholic incense wafting through the church aisles. It’s one of my favorite sensory experiences during holy days! Well, I’m not disappointed! I get a deep but somehow airy lemony and slightly herbaceous opening, then the smell of the unlit granules or possibly when they are just beginning to smolder just after being lit. Not super smoky mind you, it’s not dark and dank…it’s light and resinous…uplifting, holy…beautiful! I think it was more the application method than anything else, but the scent cuts in and out of the senses…sometimes seeming to disappear, then popping back in the next moment unexpectedly. Longevity is often cited as an issue for this particular CdG line but the experience is glorious!

Definitely bottle worthy. 💯%

Looking forward to seeing how the other two samples compare!

Have a great Saturday all!

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Spartan Burl brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, Speick AS, and Commes Des Garçons Avignon to finish!

Non-typical Saturday in progress. Relatively a bit slower and no OT workout or going out. Fighting off a bit of sinus junk and the missus has Zoom class intensives all weekend. So woke up a tad later than usual and making a leisurely day out of going about chores and chilling.

Great shave this morning, post uber hot shower. Long awaited journey of finding a good churchy incense begins! It started back with, whether he realizes it or not, @dangerousdon having mercy in a certain joke box that was sent along to me by folks unnamed. In that box he included what was left of a decent decant of Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh…opening me up to a world where churchy incense was a frag possibility. After that I discovered a deep love for the scent of AOS’ Olibanum & Pepper shave cream as well. It’s the scent profile I didn’t know I needed!

Fast forward to today’s shave. With the mini samples I received yesterday from Lucky Scent (unfortunately they only offer .7 ml vials, so no atomizer), I was stoked! Used mostly fleeting and unobtrusive scents for the shave itself, which was superb, with a fresh Feather Pro to pave the way. This morning I used half my sample of Avignon. This one is often pointed to as the quintessential frag to try for someone interested in dabbling in the incense world. It’s described as austere, cold, like Catholic incense wafting through the church aisles. It’s one of my favorite sensory experiences during holy days! Well, I’m not disappointed! I get a deep but somehow airy lemony and slightly herbaceous opening, then the smell of the unlit granules or possibly when they are just beginning to smolder just after being lit. Not super smoky mind you, it’s not dark and dank…it’s light and resinous…uplifting, holy…beautiful! I think it was more the application method than anything else, but the scent cuts in and out of the senses…sometimes seeming to disappear, then popping back in the next moment unexpectedly. Longevity is often cited as an issue for this particular CdG line but the experience is glorious!

Yeah Avignon was almost too literal for me, but I haven't tried it in a while. After getting the Oriza L. Legrand Reve d'Ossian, my taste may have changed lately, it's in a similar vein, just imagine the church is 400 years old.

Glad you were able to get your nose on it, it is a classic!

Yeah Avignon was almost too literal for me, but I haven't tried it in a while. After getting the Oriza L. Legrand Reve d'Ossian, my taste may have changed lately, it's in a similar vein, just imagine the church is 400 years old.

Glad you were able to get your nose on it, it is a classic!
Good to know! Maybe another one to add to the try list!

Had no idea I was so influential!

Shave #43 (673 Open Blade Shaves) of 2023:

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Spartan Burl brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, Speick AS, and Heeley Eau Sacree to finish!

Up for church and well medicated. Don’t feel quite so icky as yesterday so that’s something.

Another great shave this morning. Pretty much the same, light ingredients so that I could move on to the next incense sample - Heeley Eau Sacree! Heeley’s main incense frag and the one I had hoped to get is Cardinal, but there weren’t any samples available. Eau Sacree was suggested as an alternative…similar profile but with some added elements. Again I dabbed on half the sample. This isn’t going to be an easy hunt and it may end as quickly as it started lol…another winner!

This one starts off without the lemony top of Avignon and goes straight for the incense…but not as cold as Avignon. This one has a bit more smoke, is a bit warmer, softer in scent but heavy in presence, and adds a fairly noticeable rose element. This could probably be considered a unisex frag but leans a bit masculine (whereas I feel most unisex I’ve tried lean feminine). Just wow.

And let the record state that I got on and off whiffs of Avignon yesterday through the early evening…so a good 8+ hours. Did it project that long? Probably not. But was it a good skin scent and close scent bubble? Seems like it!

Church this morning, the missus wraps up her weekend intensive, grocery shopping, maybe some Super Bowl if there’s time…definitely some Hogwarts!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #44 (674 Open Blade Shaves) of 2023:

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Stirling synth brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, Speick AS, and Amouage Jubilation XXV to finish!

Alas…it’s Monday…but I’ve definitely classed it up today with my shave choices!

And a great shave it was! Pretty much the same as the last two days, just swapped brushes and finishing frag. 3 excellent passes on a silky smooth snotty lather. Today culminated in the first use of the last sample I got in - Amouage Jubilation XXV!

This one is actually masterminded by the same perfumer who made CdG Avignon, Bertrand Duchaufour, but is a completely different take on incense. It’s very well blended and not quite as straightforward as the last two samples. It starts of a bit dark and fruity, a bit smoky…but not at all like Aventus if that’s what you’re thinking right now. The incense is there, but it’s a posh, non-traditional type overall. Hard to grab all that’s in there (the scent notes on this one are immense). It’s a warm scent, but still feels on the lighter side due to a general soapy/clean linen vibe that I get. Really well done! It’s incense refined and sophisticated! It’s incense for special occasions and date nights!

Volleyball season starts today…practices every day for the older two. Possible first tournament this weekend. Ugh. Here we go!

Hope you all have a great Monday!

but is a completely different take on incense.
Chris, I would caution you about the potential for amorous disaster perhaps heading your way if you continue to experiment with incense. Many contain known pheromones, which can cause others to behave unpredictably. Exposing unsuspecting women to its alluring powers may be unfair to them. I did extensive incense-related research in the 1970s, particularly in the Patchouli, Sandalwood, and Nag Champa fields of study. FYI, Patchouli is the most volatile of the three, always use with caution near women.

I’m impressed, I only have Jubilation XXIV….C’est la vie! (Oh, and if you are ever in the mood for a good homage to your cologne - Murphy & McNeil Barbershop De Los Muertos is fantastic - and really cool label which we all know enhances the scent).

Go boys in Volleyball!

Have a great day my friend!
Good to know! I don’t even see references for Jubilation XXIV anywhere? Was that the same sort of frag? Or are you pulling my leg? 😂
Chris, I would caution you about the potential for amorous disaster perhaps heading your way if you continue to experiment with incense. Many contain known pheromones, which can cause others to behave unpredictably. Exposing unsuspecting women to its alluring powers may be unfair to them. I did extensive incense-related research in the 1970s, particularly in the Patchouli, Sandalwood, and Nag Champa fields of study. FYI, Patchouli is the most volatile of the three, always use with caution near women.
Well it seems marriage tames the effects…the missus says it smells “like the rest of [my] stuff” 😂

It’s pretty much confirmed at this point that something’s wrong with her sniffer 😂

Would I be me if I wasn’t?
Just please don't pull his finger..

giphy.gif

Just adding some update on the list 2 frags used.

Heeley Eau Sacree ended up lasting all day! Fairly consistent whiffs of that beautiful almost overripe rose with an underlying incense/patchouli…very nice! It reminded me a lot of Perry Ellis Oud Saffron Rose, a very nice rose frag. Maybe not my first choice for a solid incense in the strict sense but definitely great juice!

Amouage Jublation XXV has reached a very nice smouldery incense with a rich sandalwood-like line underlaying it. Really posh, very addicting scent. Personal scent bubble is heady good!

Back