The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

I know I wasn't asked but.... 360° Red for men from Perry Ellis is supposed to be close. I have both so I'd be happy to A/B them tonight and let you know.
+1 for PE. Belcam has an "inspired" bottle that you should be able to easily find in your local Walmart for under $10 if you want to go ULTRA cheap. No experience with their ADG line, but their Cool Water dupe is, IMHO, better than the current offering from Davidoff!

Also worth noting that 3.4oz tester bottles of the ADG EDT come and go around $60 on the grey market fairly frequently...much more palatable than $100 retail!

The price they're asking at Macy's was a bit steep. I hadn't seen it anywhere else. But then I only just started looking.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check those out.
Yea…department stores, sometimes even if you catch a serious sales day, are going to almost always be more expensive than grey market or wholesalers, but some of the price is peace of mind about getting a genuine product.

@Scuttlesoap has a couple other online retailer leads too I think.

From a dupe perspective - I’ve seen reviews regarding Perry Ellis 360 (just as @MarkB has said)…..however, unless it is something that you cannot find anywhere else - some brands you can only find at Macy’s or Sephora, I’d look to the gray market side or the Bay.

Acqua di Gio definitely fits the latter category - it is almost everywhere. Look to fragrancex.com, fragrancenet.com, maxaroma.com, fragrancebuy.ca. There are also Forever Lux, Perfume Empire are also reputable places that have websites - but their ebay store will give you even greater discounts.

A couple of other ways to save even more $ is to buy a tester (from these gray market sites) which may or may not come in a box (or if it is in a box, usually plain white), and may sometimes (but not always) come with a cap. This usually knocks at least 10% or more off. Pay attention to the price per ml or oz……if you really like something, it may be better to get a 100ml bottle vs a 50 ml bottle because the price per unit is much cheaper.

Lastly, many of our shaving artisans who make soap dupes/homages also see a cologne dupe as well. Stirling’s dupe of AdG is called Dunshire….they’ll last just as long, spend a quarter of the price.

From a dupe perspective - I’ve seen reviews regarding Perry Ellis 360 (just as @MarkB has said)…..however, unless it is something that you cannot find anywhere else - some brands you can only find at Macy’s or Sephora, I’d look to the gray market side or the Bay.

Acqua di Gio definitely fits the latter category - it is almost everywhere. Look to fragrancex.com, fragrancenet.com, maxaroma.com, fragrancebuy.ca. There are also Forever Lux, Perfume Empire are also reputable places that have websites - but their ebay store will give you even greater discounts.

A couple of other ways to save even more $ is to buy a tester (from these gray market sites) which may or may not come in a box (or if it is in a box, usually plain white), and may sometimes (but not always) come with a cap. This usually knocks at least 10% or more off. Pay attention to the price per ml or oz……if you really like something, it may be better to get a 100ml bottle vs a 50 ml bottle because the price per unit is much cheaper.

Lastly, many of our shaving artisans who make soap dupes/homages also see a cologne dupe as well. Stirling’s dupe of AdG is called Dunshire….they’ll last just as long, spend a quarter of the price.
Listen to Sensei Brian... He speaks much wisdom.

giphy.gif

Whoa......I asked for advise and I got expertise. Thank you Brian. You're the man.

Shave #277 (600 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline blade, Graydog Art Deco brush, Clown Puke tub soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, LNHC BS PSE, Fine Platinum AS, and Ralph Lauren Ralph’s Club to finish!

The missus was out a bit early this morning, off to the big city (LA) to take her real estate license test. So it’s dad get everyone to school, with a work em Zoom meeting in the middle. That should be fun 😂

Great shave was had. 3 smooth passes with little hull plating damage. A bit of a different mix of scents to finish things off - Fine Platinum AS + RL Ralph’s Club frag…so Aventus with a lavender bomb! Not bad!

OT workout later this evening. Gearing up for Hell Week at the end of the month!

Hope you all have a great Tuesday!

I can’t keep up with all the releases and flankers for everything nowadays.
Yea, it gets pretty silly with all the iterations and cash grabs.
Or at least entertaining for everyone else on the Zoom :D

I love the occasional pet or child in the background during work calls.
Problem solved! Morning treat at the coffee shop across the street from their school while I jump into the call 😂
....says the guy that is literally keeping up with ALL the releases and flankers for EVERYTHING.
I know right? Let the poor guy keep his delusions though…

Shave #278 (600 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline blade, RR Big Bruce brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, LNHC BS PSE, Pitralon Classic AS, and Issey Miyaki L’Eau D’Issey Pour Homme Eau & Cedre to finish!

Up a bit earlier than normal for a meeting. Hey…just means I get off a half hour sooner right?! 😉

Great shave. Not much to report. The Issey Miyake sample lasted just enough for a second full wearing. Smelling good 👍

Hope you all have a great Wednesday!

Shave #279 (600 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline blade, Yaqi Moka synth brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe, LNHC BS PSE, CBL Barba AST, and Acqua Di Parma Colonia CLUB to finish!

To quote another famous shaver and holder of dairy products…”TGITMF!” Yes indeed, final work day of the week for this ol’ chap. Approval for tomorrow off came in late yesterday morning. 😎👍

Great shave this morning. Just one problem spot as a previously decapitated pimple spot got opened back up some. Thankfully it closed again quickly. I keep flip flopping on this CLUB scent. It has a nice herbaceous opening and I’m currently in the faux-DHE phase…I felt it just lands in the “old man” category once it’s totally dried down. Maybe my opinion will change today. 🤷‍♂️

Go forth and conquer my friends! Happy Thursday!

Back