The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

Shave #125 (500 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Gillette Super Adjustable, Astra SP blade, Yaqi Moka synth brush, CBL 3 Pines soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe mix, LNHC Barber Shoppe post shave elixir, and Fine AB EDT w/ some Sartorial clone oil to finish!

Great workout last night followed by a rousing quarter finals game of volleyball at my son’s high school, as the varsity team seeks to win the league. Some really great volleyball was played and it was neck and neck till the end, all 5 sets. Looked like our varsity was going to lose as the visitors took the first 2 sets…but then they rallied the 3rd and came back to win all 3 remaining sets. Made for a late night, but fun times!

Great shave this morning with a fresh, modern barbershop vibe to set the tone. Not much else to report really.

Hope you all have a great Thursday!

Shave #125 (500 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Gillette Super Adjustable, Astra SP blade, Yaqi Moka synth brush, CBL 3 Pines soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe mix, LNHC Barber Shoppe post shave elixir, and Fine AB EDT w/ some Sartorial clone oil to finish!

Great workout last night followed by a rousing quarter finals game of volleyball at my son’s high school, as the varsity team seeks to win the league. Some really great volleyball was played and it was neck and neck till the end, all 5 sets. Looked like our varsity was going to lose as the visitors took the first 2 sets…but then they rallied the 3rd and came back to win all 3 remaining sets. Made for a late night, but fun times!

Great shave this morning with a fresh, modern barbershop vibe to set the tone. Not much else to report really.

Hope you all have a great Thursday!
Sounds like it was a great finals!!! 🏐(y)

Have a great one, Chris. :)

Played volleyball myself throughout high school and IM in college but it's been a long time since I've played or seen a game - sounds like a great night for your son's squad!

Lookin all nice n cozy there in its prominence! 😍
CC401930-7187-40E6-A52B-37AF6D7875A8.jpeg

Note: this is mostly to record my own thoughts, take them as you will.

Pros:
- Very nice initial thoughts/feelings with the actual razor itself.
- Very aesthetically pleasing to look at.
- Nice weight and feel in the hand.
- Feels very well made.
- Came with rubber bump “fix” already installed, for blade protection.

Cons:
- A bit shocked it survived the trip it did in the packaging it was in.
- I’ll admit I was expecting a bit more packaging/presentation.
- Came with instructions on how to load but no care or best practices tips.
- Razor is very “rattley” on the stand; worrisome since it’s an SS stand vs aluminum scales with no buffer.
- Does unfortunately suffer from some light tool-mark scratches and if I’m nitpicking, a slight bit of other QC on the blade holder.

View attachment 82129

Pros:
- Feels very well made.

Cons:
- Razor is very “rattley” on the stand; worrisome since it’s an SS stand vs aluminum scales with no buffer.
- Does unfortunately suffer from some light tool-mark scratches and if I’m nitpicking, a slight bit of other QC on the blade holder.
Nice!

Shave #126 (501 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Gillette Super Adjustable, Astra SP blade, Yaqi Rainbow w/ pony synth brush, Clown Puke tub soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe mix, Fine Platinum AS, and DHP to finish!

Yes, it’s no lie…the counter on my open blade shaves went up one!

First shave today with the Essence! Overall first impressions, positive. It was a bloodless shave after all 😂. Only did my usually 2 pass + one DE. I’ll try a more full shave as I have time, likely tomorrow. Love the thinness reached with the build of this razor! It does indeed feel much more like a traditional SR than the SS or even my memories of the DX. The shallowest shave angle seemed fairly intuitive, so the shave felt fairly smooth…the real challenge will come as the blade begins to wear; we’ll see if it remain smoother feeling longer than the SS. Though the razor feels less bulky in the holder and more delicate than the SS, the razor is excellently grippy. I never felt like it was going to roll out or fumble out of my grip.

It does have some “weird” quirks to get used to over the SS…like the scales are a little prohibitive, particularly the short excess of length on the other side of the pin area; hopefully with more use it’ll feel more natural. I’ll probably have to practice a new hold. Then there’s that water does indeed get into the holder, likely necessitating wipe down of the razor each use? Unlike the SS, because of the higher polish/finish I’m afraid to find out otherwise by leaving it assembled to dry lol, especially with my hard water. Which means that I have to leave it out disassembled after use instead of being able to put it back away in the cabinet.

Looking forward to more!

Have a great Friday all!

View attachment 82129

Pros:
- Feels very well made.

Cons:
Looking majestic there!

Shave #126 (501 Open Blade Shaves) of 2022:

Gear: Tedalus Essence, Feather Pro blade, Gillette Super Adjustable, Astra SP blade, Yaqi Rainbow w/ pony synth brush, Clown Puke tub soap, homemade witch hazel/aloe mix, Fine Platinum AS, and DHP to finish!

Yes, it’s no lie…the counter on my open blade shaves went up one!

First shave today with the Essence! Overall first impressions, positive. It was a bloodless shave after all 😂. Only did my usually 2 pass + one DE. I’ll try a more full shave as I have time, likely tomorrow. Love the thinness reached with the build of this razor! It does indeed feel much more like a traditional SR than the SS or even my memories of the DX. The shallowest shave angle seemed fairly intuitive, so the shave felt fairly smooth…the real challenge will come as the blade begins to wear; we’ll see if it remain smoother feeling longer than the SS. Though the razor feels less bulky in the holder and more delicate than the SS, the razor is excellently grippy. I never felt like it was going to roll out or fumble out of my grip.

It does have some “weird” quirks to get used to over the SS…like the scales are a little prohibitive, particularly the short excess of length on the other side of the pin area; hopefully with more use it’ll feel more natural. I’ll probably have to practice a new hold. Then there’s that water does indeed get into the holder, likely necessitating wipe down of the razor each use? Unlike the SS, because of the higher polish/finish I’m afraid to find out otherwise by leaving it assembled to dry lol, especially with my hard water. Which means that I have to leave it out disassembled after use instead of being able to put it back away in the cabinet.

Looking forward to more!

Have a great Friday all!
Next shave requires a video!

1651849117768.gif

Back