The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I are a new stewdent

Hammer mills are a little different. The shaft has free swinging plates on it that "hammer" the wood to shreds. Hence the name. This one acts more like scissors catching the wood between the teeth and the scalloped bar at the bottom. Ours is probably 5 times the size of that one. I can stand up, sit down, move around, and still have room for tools in there with me when I'm down inside the feed hopper.

Ad what was that guy thinking!?!?! Standing on forks, next to an uncovered hammer mill throwing pieces back at him!?!? OSHA would have a field day with them.
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

Hammer mills are a little different. The shaft has free swinging plates on it that "hammer" the wood to shreds. Hence the name. This one acts more like scissors catching the wood between the teeth and the scalloped bar at the bottom. Ours is probably 5 times the size of that one. I can stand up, sit down, move around, and still have room for tools in there with me when I'm down inside the feed hopper.

Ad what was that guy thinking!?!?! Standing on forks, next to an uncovered hammer mill throwing pieces back at him!?!? OSHA would have a field day with them.
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
IKR ? Hopefully you lock out tag out that baby before you climb into it ???

Sounds exciting to me! You were actually doing stuff! Must better than any first day I’ve ever had, which usually consists of paperwork, setting up computer access/passwords and training (usually computer based).

My "boring" day was a bit of sarcasm. They said I did more today than the last guy did in the entire 4 months he was there.
1f606.png

My "boring" day was a bit of sarcasm. They said I did more today than the last guy did in the entire 4 months he was there.
1f606.png

Hence why the previous guy is no longer there!

And by the way...anyone else feel more like a man just reading this thread! I think my testosterone levels peaked!
1f60e.png

Today was a little slower. Rebuilt a hydraulic pump putting new seals in it and re-assembling. Did some other small tinkering stuff, then shortly before time to go, it happened again....
Hog mill tripped out again. Went out, climbed in it and cleaned it out. There was another post jammed into the shear bar. Got it freed up and spun to make sure no others were cracked. replaced two teeth, and got it all ready to grind and weld a new post in.
Going in early to do it before start-up. Too late in hte day and no one would be there for fire watch afterwards.

And yes Dave, it will shred.... This is the one I pulled out. You can see how bad it chewed up the hardened bolt head and the gouges it made in solid steel.

We’ve all seen how those “safety measures” turn out in the movies! Just sayin!
This is true, I was thinking of being in something like that. It wouldn't matter if I I knew the power was shut off to the whole town, I'd be thinking I need to get out before it starts up all on its own!

Today was a little slower. Rebuilt a hydraulic pump putting new seals in it and re-assembling. Did some other small tinkering stuff, then shortly before time to go, it happened again....
Hog mill tripped out again. Went out, climbed in it and cleaned it out. There was another post jammed into the shear bar. Got it freed up and spun to make sure no others were cracked. replaced two teeth, and got it all ready to grind and weld a new post in.
Going in early to do it before start-up. Too late in hte day and no one would be there for fire watch afterwards.

And yes Dave, it will shred.... This is the one I pulled out. You can see how bad it chewed up the hardened bolt head and the gouges it made in solid steel.
That's some dang manly stuff Shawn. BTW, if I could pick a different career route from the beginning, I think under water welding would be bad a**.

We’ve all seen how those “safety measures” turn out in the movies! Just sayin!
That's some dang manly stuff Shawn. BTW, if I could pick a different career route from the beginning, I think under water welding would be bad a**.
I understand how the mind can run while in a situation like that but if "Lock out / Tag out" is practiced properly meaning that the person that is in danger and doing the work locks it out and holds the key themselves not much goes wrong accept in the movies

I understand how the mind can run while in a situation like that but if "Lock out / Tag out" is practiced properly meaning that the person that is in danger and doing the work locks it out and holds the key themselves not much goes wrong accept in the movies
To quote my kids "but still!"

Wait you had to climb into it?! Scary...
I spent years walking on little "I" beams way up in the air, rock climbed for a hobby, welded right next to methyl ethyl ketone, ammonia, formaldehyde, and chlorine gas, Dangled upside down over rivers cutting rivets out of the steel I was on with a torch, rigged and moved equipment weighing over 350,000 pounds, worked and welded in confined spaces, played with dynamite, climbed and cut trees down...... This is a walk in the park buddy.
1f604.png

That's what Lock out/ tag out is to prevent

Exactly! This unit has a lock on the E-stop button that engages automatically if it is pushed also.

I thought about underwater welding, but I think all the time spent in decompression chambers would drive me insane not having anything to do.

Back