The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I are a new stewdent

Yeah underwater welding is definitely a skill for people who are a little nuts. I knew a guy in the military who used to be underwater EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal). They go through BUD/S training alongside Navy Seals. He was a really great guy and really knew his stuff...but was a little...off. Anyway...he was an underwater welder for an oil company here in Louisiana on an Off Shore rig....let's just say he was a special kind of person!
1f60b.png

Yeah underwater welding is definitely a skill for people who are a little nuts. I knew a guy in the military who used to be underwater EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal). They go through BUD/S training alongside Navy Seals. He was a really great guy and really knew his stuff...but was a little...off. Anyway...he was an underwater welder for an oil company here in Louisiana on an Off Shore rig....let's just say he was a special kind of person!
1f60b.png
I have a friend who was EOD in the Navy too. Crazy stuff

Hokey smokes what a great manly job! Some of that equipment sounds like it could be in a Bond movie, but then it would have to be located inside a volcano.

Ugh.... Got told to leave work early this morning. Got a text from the wife saying the boiler wasn't putting out any heat and making a heck of a racket. Since it was a balmy negative 3 this morning and supposed to be as low as negative 15 Wed, my trainer told me to go and even gave me a few "milk house" heaters to borrow in case I couldn't get it fixed right away.
Turns out the expansion tank has failed. There is a bladder in it that has half water and half air. It regulates pressure when the water heats up. There is no longer a bladder or air in the tank, so when everything expands it pops off the safety valve n the boiler itself. Then it lets cold water in to refill, but can't keep up with heating it while trying to circulate, so little to no heat.
I will be picking up the new parts tomorrow after work and installing them, so hopefully all will go well.

Damn tough luck Shawn! Sound like work is very understanding though. Keep us updated!

Dang Shawn. Them expansion tanks fail at the worst times. There's a bladder troll that knows when the worst time is for him to come and put a hole in the bladder causing the tank to fail. I hope everything with replacing it went well. Not a fun job.

Well did some work in the basement after work tonight. Got the new tank and valve in. Of course I found a few valves that were old and leaked by in the process, so i am building a list of plumbing parts that will be needed soon.
The good news though, is that I have heat and no more "monster in the basement" as my daughter liked to call the rattling. New tank did the trick.

And of course, since that went well, something is starting to go in my car... I believe it is the bearings in the air conditioner. You can't just buy a non-AC belt anymore that can be swapped in 20 minutes, you need to get a bypass idler pully for $50 and completely remove the AC unit to replace it with the idler.

I need a winning lottery ticket.... If anybody's got a spare, PM me.
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

How fortunate you know or at least are adept enough to handle these things! Great job Shawn!

I say you give yourself a high five and a promotion.

You don't need air conditioning this time of year. Ya sure it's not just low blinker fluid?

You don't need air conditioning this time of year. Ya sure it's not just low blinker fluid?

Blinker fluid is up to the fill line. Made sure of that.
The problem with the AC is that since it is belt driven and everything runs off the end of the crankshaft, part of it is always turning. There is an electronic clutch that engages the compressor when you turn it on inside the car. So your pully bearings are constantly in use when the engine is running. That's what I believe is going bad in mine.

I miss the old days when the first thing you did with your V8 was take off the horsepower robbing AC and its separate belt. I think with my olds back in the day I just took off the AC belt and that was it if I'm remembering right. Is there a way to pack some bearing grease in there to get you by until warmer weather and a few paychecks in the bank?

Shawn you need to kick Mr. Murphy out and tell him to head south! He's been staying at your place too long. Don't send him my way though.

Well it wasn't the AC pulley. It got a little worse today and I was able to figure out for sure that it was the power steering pump. Checked the fluid on that and it was down quite a bit. Filled that and good to go now. Back to just the normal noises.
1f606.png

Well it wasn't the AC pulley. It got a little worse today and I was able to figure out for sure that it was the power steering pump. Checked the fluid on that and it was down quite a bit. Filled that and good to go now. Back to just the normal noises.
1f606.png
So the blinker fluid wasnt far off..
1f605.png

I hope you didn't order the pulley.

Glad that seemed to work Shawn. I always keep my spark plug fluid full in the winter time and when cold weather sets in I raise the headlight fluid as well.

Glad it was something a bit more inexpensive Shawn! I haven't checked my fluids in my truck in a while...I guess I need to actually open the hood once in a while. This will serve as a reminder.

All of this talk of blinker, spark plug, and headlight fluids got me thinking. Not automotive related...

While in the Marine Corps, when the newly assigned Marines out of boot camp (affectionately called a "Boot") joined a Company, there was always a bit of hazing...err...encouragement to be had. One of the things a new marine in a unit might expect is to go and retrieve 50 yards of "flight line." Of course you would need demolition equipment to pull up 50 yards of flight line, so this was never achieved. Let the hazing...err...physical exercises begin! Another item to have the Boot search for was to acquire three ammo cans/gallons/buckets (pick your increment) of back splash. Okay...when one fires a rocket propelled grenade, there is an area behind the person firing the RPG called the back splash area. The back splash is really just the exhaust from the launcher. During my time in the military the grunts would use an AT4 which is a single use RPG. The back splash on these guys could actually kill someone if close enough. Anyway...I ramble...you can imagine trying to find a couple ammo cans of back splash might be difficult.

Back