The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Home repair

It’s a good idea to run the generator occasionally to warm it up. I run my portable one about 30 minutes with no load (well maybe a light to make sure the generator part is working. The other one (now gone) we Used as a welder sometimes so it got used fairly regularly.

It’s a good idea to run the generator occasionally to warm it up. I run my portable one about 30 minutes with no load (well maybe a light to make sure the generator part is working. The other one (now gone) we Used as a welder sometimes so it got used fairly regularly.
That would be true once it's used. This one is still wrapped up in the box it was shipped in. Decided to just keep it in one of the storage sheds at the house that we're keeping locked up.

Next question. In this house all the door are fairly tight. It wouldn’t be a big issue, but we are going to have people living below us and the doors seem to “stick” and make quite a bit of noise as they pop open. It feels almost like the painted surface stick together and the noise is pulling them apart. Is there a wax or something I can apply on the jam that would help this?
I like the idea of wax. I'd just run some paraffin (or even a candle) along the sticking side to see if that helps. I don't think it could hurt anything.

Well the wax did the trick. But looking at the rubbing spots they are all on the hinge side of the doors and I see that the hinges are all counter sunk too far into the jam and the doors. Some day I’ll have to take them all off and shim them out a little bit.

Got an outdoor faucet leaking. I plan to replace it this morning, but since I need to turn off water service at the street I figured I’d ask here if there’s anything I need to know. Looks like I just get a basic fixture at Home Depot and it’s a simple unscrew one, wrap the treads with pipe tape and screw the new one on?

3FA3EE60-9F31-4D9D-A453-A1A1A0803254.jpeg

That's about it Dave or it could be as simple as tightening the packing nut or repack it and re-tighten it. Here's a video showing it. Just fast forward past his wordiness and stuff about his channel. I think at 3:50 he discusses the packing nut and then further repacking it.

@Dave in KY well look at that! I’ll certainly try the tightening. If it were in our other house I’d try the repacking too. But since we have other folks living in this house with us, I’m not sure if I want to mess around too much since they have to deal with me shutting the water off multiple times if it does work.

@Dave in KY well look at that! I’ll certainly try the tightening. If it were in our other house I’d try the repacking too. But since we have other folks living in this house with us, I’m not sure if I want to mess around too much since they have to deal with me shutting the water off multiple times if it does work.
Yep, and a newer one wouldn't hurt. Maybe even a 1/4 turn one if it's your preference (y)

Well, it doesn’t look exactly like the one in the video. I tried turning what would be that nut and it didn’t budge. Worth a shot though.

B53FF8DD-1229-4DFE-ABBB-463CFAB6B33A.jpeg

So it would require repacking or washer replacement. Just screw a new one on. Sorry it wasn't any help.
Ya; here’s to hoping the darn thing will unscrews! I’m also hampered by not having my big tool box here and not having brought a single adjustable crescent wrench 😡

Got another one for you guys. The big glass shower door seems to have gotten a touch crooked in that the top is a few millimeters closer to the glass wall than it was. Causing the glass to now slightly rub on tiles and the glass wall. I figure it either slipped out of adjustment a touch or the wall it’s attached to moved just a touch. It’s an old house on a hill after all.

Question is. Does anyone know if I brace up the weight of the door and loosen these two screws on the hinge, does that allow for a bit of adjustment and then retighten? I don’t want to make things worst if there is just a hole for the screw and no adjustment ability.
2EC4BA22-51E2-4BA3-A5E0-EACAFB62B578.jpeg
510D67DE-C429-4A1C-9795-65F74CB8784C.jpeg

The hinge on the wall side will probably not be adjustable. It is probably secured with anchors and the screws appear to have tapered heads which will center themselves in the hinge plate. You can probably adjust the glass in the hinge though. You should be able to loosen up the screws that hold in the glass and move it. Be warned though, this is not a one person job. That glass will be heavy and you do not want to drop it.

You can probably adjust the glass in the hinge though.
Ya, that's the one I was wondering about. I'm going to pile up wood to support the weight of the door. Then maybe pad the lip of a hand truck to use as a level to push up on the door once the screws are loose. Then just hope that the thing doesn't start swinging and ending up in a repair bill.

Ya, that's the one I was wondering about. I'm going to pile up wood to support the weight of the door. Then maybe pad the lip of a hand truck to use as a level to push up on the door once the screws are loose. Then just hope that the thing doesn't start swinging and ending up in a repair bill.
Jut remember, if the holes in the door are big enough to give you some adjustment (they probably are), the moment you loosen them, the door is going to want to slide a low down in them as possible. It's a really frustrating one man job.

Ideally you have one person, operating the hand truck, and another on the screws.

Back