The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Home repair

My two cents... Ask yourselves what you want, what you are protecting from. A small safe bolted to the ground can indeed be removed by a determined thief. I know this from personal experience. My mom used to put things she didn't want to be stolen in a cereal box then the safe came and she put it in there only to have it all carted away by thieves who were obviously well fed because the cereal box was untouched. The first place we think to put a safe is in the closet, the first place a thief looks is the closet (as proven by the handprints found on each and every closet door in my moms house.) My mom also used to hide stuff in the air duct intake register ...huge space that nobody ever sees inside of unless you have the HVAC guys out to fix stuff.

I have no problem with an in-home safe if it is installed well. Put a concrete or metal ring around the bottom or recess it into the floor so that a pry bar can't be used to lift the safe and you can avoid a lot of heartaches. DO NOT just pop a few bolts into the cement and call it done.

I am a risk manager by trade, I look for and rank the areas of risk and try to mitigate or avoid them. Storing valuables offsite pretty much ensures anything that happens at your home can't pose a direct threat to those items. Storing valuable in an onsite safe leaves some amount of risk, even if it is only a small amount. If your fear is that an event at your home will result in loss then an off site secure box is a pretty good value, even at $150/year and significant inconvenience.

Good feedback guys. Sounds like it makes sense that if we do something at home that it be more for the fire protection and small enough to be hidden somewhere vs big enough to be found because brute force can overcome most things.

I do like the idea of off-site, but there is concern for those times we forgot we need a birth certificate for something the next day and it's after hours, or the very rare possibility that family out of country as an immediate need someone needs a passport.

I can't remember where I heard this but it does make sense to me. If you have one of those small fire safe boxes. It recommended to keep the keys in at all times. That way if a robber does come in, and they find the box, they can open it and see there is no cash in it, or valuables like jewelry so they are more likely to leave it behind.

I can't remember where I heard this but it does make sense to me. If you have one of those small fire safe boxes. It recommended to keep the keys in at all times. That way if a robber does come in, and they find the box, they can open it and see there is no cash in it, or valuables like jewelry so they are more likely to leave it behind.
That makes sense if all you want to have in it are papers.

Yep, I have cash in mine and that's why I DON'T have the keys in them. They are gonna have to work at least a little for it........
A guy's gotta have some place to stash all those ones he earns dancing!

Hiding cash is a totally different ball game. I hide it in a few places.

Well that's what started all this. I have it hidden well, but I worry about a fire.

Everyone to Chad's house to look for the treasure map!

Back