The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Home repair

I’ll have to take a picture of the gate tomorrow.

If it was a solid brass razor you'd think it was a fair price.........

Image result for he's right you know meme

Alrighty. Here's something I have zero experience with. Generators. Given the power issues, I think we'll invest in a small generator. Mostly just enough to keep the fridge going, charge phones and stuff and power the wifi router. I see most of them are gas/propane powered. Propane seems like it would be much easier and safer to store. But either one, you need a decent amount of fuel to last a couple of days. what do most people do? Just run it off and on instead of continuously? Get the larger than 20lb tanks of propane?

I would think a larger propane tank would be preferable even if you were planning to run it intermittently (as I would plan to do) but that would depend on how long they project it to run on a given volume of propane AND your ability to get a larger tank filled. Multiple smaller tanks would allow you to swap out as needed and still use them for bbq and back yard fire pits. If wired in properly and set up right you could have specific dedicated outlets that are always energized... but I would wait to do that project until this panic season has passed so you can get the best price. Right now you just need to be able to deal with days worth of zero volts.
serious question-what is needed to keep your car on the go? Is your home and place of work on the same power grid Or can you charge while at work?

@CBLindsay we're lucky in a few ways. We have three cars, so no problems in the long run as long as we can get gas. We're also on the outer edge of the blackout area, so the big super charger I use has power. I don't usually have to travel far, so a full charge on the car will actually last weeks. We did go and fully charge it yesterday just to be safe. It's also handy as a big a## phone charger when we're all home as well.

We lose power often up here in the winter so we bought a generator. We went went with gas instead of propane. Gas is readily available as opposed to trying to get propane refills during a long outage. Our generator runs about 6-8 hours on a tank. It is big enough to supply power for the whole house.
Our generator is a predator 8750 from Harbor freight. It is a Honda clone and has great reviews. It has never given us any problems at all. It is big and heavy though but we have it in a shed next to the house so size isn't an issue.

Most of the non-gasoline generators in this area are connected to the natural gas with the house so they have a pretty much unlimited fuel supply. When we lost power last time, we were locked out of the house because the garage door (of course) was down, and the front door locks triggered. I failed to install an override.

I selected propane which is just as easy for me to get when there is an outage as gas is. I need to use it so infrequently that I wanted Propane as it burns cleaner and I don't have a gas one that sits with ethanol in the carb and then doesn't start when I pull it out and do need it. Pros and cons for both. (y)

Another question for the more knowledgeable. I did end up buying a gas powered generator. But it is still sealed in the box it came in. The area we're moving to isn't one that gets the power shut off during the high wind fire risk warnings. Do I sell it to get it off my hands, or would it still be functional if I left it sitting in its box for three years?

Another question for the more knowledgeable. I did end up buying a gas powered generator. But it is still sealed in the box it came in. The area we're moving to isn't one that gets the power shut off during the high wind fire risk warnings. Do I sell it to get it off my hands, or would it still be functional if I left it sitting in its box for three years?
I don't see how it would be any different sitting in your care or on a shelf if it's never had any gas in it.....

I just saw the Home Repair thread with a new comment just above the What are you drinking tonight thread and my thought was how appropriate that those 2 threads run in tandem....

Being that you’re going to be renting your house which is in a trouble area, maybe the renters might appreciate it?
You bought it because wanted it/needed it, so unless your realizing it was an exercise in poor judgment after the fact, I’d keep it around myself.

It should be fine to just store as it is, with no fuel in it. But at some point you will want to test it before you need it.

Next question. In this house all the door are fairly tight. It wouldn’t be a big issue, but we are going to have people living below us and the doors seem to “stick” and make quite a bit of noise as they pop open. It feels almost like the painted surface stick together and the noise is pulling them apart. Is there a wax or something I can apply on the jam that would help this?

I believe they say wd40 and duct tape can pretty much fix everything. I say go for it!

Back