The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Home repair

Nah... use mayonnaise because then the lid is not metal so they can't find it with a metal detector

But they arent air tight and then you have to worry about mold.. Also we are fancy hicks in my neck of the woods they do make sealable rubber/plastic/silicone type material lids for mason jars now

Cash? I haven't seen that stuff in so long I wasn't sure if they still made it.
1f606.png

As far as the safety deposit box vs safe, I think the biggest thing to take into account is the replacement value of the items that will be placed on there. It's 150/year for what is basically an insurance policy worth it? If you do have items that you are thinking that you will need access to, get a safe for those items. Then, if you need more security/fire resistance for it, build something around it with a couple of inches of air gap. You can them fill that air gap with cement, leaving a space for the door to open of course.

Problem solved. You are welcome

I've got another one for you guys. We have a dining table that's one of those that looks like it's distressed and came with some type of a wax finish. In the center of the table I guess because of wear and some from the cats, it appears the finish is worn off. Like the colour isn't as rich and it's dull instead of a little shiny.

What would you suggest I use to return to a nice wax finish?

Well I know at least one would suggest I just pour super glue all over it and then polish it.
Do you have any idea how much that amount of superglue would cost? Lol I like CA for small things but fo a table I'd get the 2 part epoxy for bar tops that self levels.

If you want a waxy finish then I want to say renwax might be a good choice, or just a beeswax polish.

You could always strip it down and then apply your own varnish/stain

Do you have any idea how much that amount of superglue would cost? Lol I like CA for small things but fo a table I'd get the 2 part epoxy for bar tops that self levels.

If you want a waxy finish then I want to say renwax might be a good choice, or just a beeswax polish.
No, no I don't. ;)

Okay, beeswax polish sounds like it might be the right thing. Just needed something in the ballpark to kickstart my Amazon search.

Noooooo, I have enough on my list. Just want to make sure it stays protected.

Tell your wife you could end up with a new table without having to buy a new table. Plus you get to use an industrial sander. Add it to the honey do list.

Tell your wife you could end up with a new table without having to buy a new table. Plus you get to use an industrial sander. Add it to the honey do list.
This and painting your house. You're sure not shy about volunteering me for work! ;)

Here I am again. Long story short, a few years ago a contractor replaced the lock on our front metal gate/door with what now seems like a cheap one not make for exterior use. I'm having a dickens of a time finding one to replace it. I think I finally found it's call a deadlatch lock? Just a simple round lock. On the outside is a key, the inside just a small thumb twist to open it. And it's a spring loaded latch as opposed to a deadbolt. So when you swing the gate shut it automatically latches and is locked from the outside.

I can find a ton of this stuff, but not with the little twist lever on the inside. Those all seem to be deadbolts which won't auto latch when you swing the gate shut. There is a shroud around the latch on the inside for security, so it can't be an actual lever or anything. Amazon and Home Depot have let me down. Am I searching for the wrong stuff?

Ya, Amazon and Home Depot got nuttin'. Well ok, Amazon had one for $266. Finally looked out further on the interwebs. Looks like only one or two of these out there. And they are $150+!

Back