The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

GearNoir’s Shave Journal V-Companion : Musings

I hope some day you get a CBL soap named Chris’ Snot Slick Shaving Soap.

Walt and I 3017ed modded Williams 2 consecutive times! This brought on flashbacks! We milled Williams with aftershaves or scents and used them up. The horror..... the horror....

I try to at least have the cats scout out the shave den for the Murphy’s before I shave. When that hasn’t happened I’ve had disastrous failures. And I only swirl my brush in a clockwise fashion when lathering.

Nice Chris and thanks for the shout out. Long or not I play/watch the whole thing sometimes while reading the forum and bounce over when something catches my ears attention.

Nice Chris and thanks for the shout out. Long or not I play/watch the whole thing sometimes while reading the forum and bounce over when something catches my ears attention.

Thanks Dave! I suppose you can have a pass as TSC’s #1 recruiter. ?

Chris I always enjoy your videos. Now sometimes I don't make it through the whole thing in one sitting due to work etc. But don't stop em! I enjoy them.

32min??? I don't have time for this thing! Mercy, let me make a 2nd cuppa and get a pillow for my chair!

Just kiddin'. Saw the comments and thought I better comment as I hit play.

Chris I always enjoy your videos. Now sometimes I don't make it through the whole thing in one sitting due to work etc. But don't stop em! I enjoy them.
32min??? I don't have time for this thing! Mercy, let me make a 2nd cuppa and get a pillow for my chair!

Just kiddin'. Saw the comments and thought I better comment as I hit play.

Thanks guys! I was just joking...or was I...no, I was. ?

I think that I get something out of making them and whatever you all get out of them is great too.

It’s funny though the level of big-brother-ness that statistics tracking has these days though. I guess it’s important though for those trying to gain social traction.

Thanks guys! I was just joking...or was I...no, I was.
1f602.png

I think that I get something out of making them and whatever you all get out of them is great too.

It’s funny though the level of big-brother-ness that statistics tracking has these days though. I guess it’s important though for those trying to gain social traction.
This is true. I looked and noticed the same thing and figured I need to get them a lot shorter. But then my shaves aren't shorter and those that only want to watch through the first pass just turn it off anyway. I watch them through to the end brother. You do you, as goes that saying that I hate.

I didn't answer your quirks question but after listening to NurseDave's responses I meant to list a few of my own.
Here's a quick list-
I prefer to wipe my razor on a sponge rather than rinse it in the sink water (filled so the water doesn't run). I don't want little whiskers floating in the water I am going to splash on my face.
I rinse my blade (or DE,SE) with 90% isopropyl immediately after rinsing in water.
I have begun to rinse my brushes with isopropyl too, I find it leaves the bristles softer and has stopped the funky smell from being an issue.
I can't lather part of my face and shave it, I need balance.
I do a nightly lather up so my morning beard is really ready for the shave.

I agree with your assessment of Fine aftershaves. I like/prefer that style of aftershave to the watery feel of some or the sticky feel of others. I don't like balms but will use them at night after my lather if my face is dry or the air is dry. My mind has trouble spending $20 on fine, at $15 I felt just fine (pun?) purchasing it but at $20 I feel like I am spending too much. As my stock depletes I am likely to replace with Stirling aftershaves, they are typically a good value and I am ok with the feel. For years I have made my own witch hazel post shave (not a CBL soap thing, just a personal thing) where I mix WH half and half or 60/40 with 90% isopropyl to get the alcohol kick, I mix in a bunch of menthol and a little bit of alum, glycerin and castor oil and I am good to go.

I used to stress about matching the soap with the aftershave and or cologne but my ability to match scents is as bad as my ability to match my shirt with my pants. Earlier this month I decided to not even try to match soap to post shave scents, the shave is one experience the post shave scent is a new one. You would not believe how that has reduced my stress level and open the door to using more soaps. I have a ton of stirling that rarely gets used because they are more eclectic scents without an obvious AS match (unless you get the matching AS). Now I don't feel restricted, I can use Electric Sheep or Texas on fire without worry.

This is true. I looked and noticed the same thing and figured I need to get them a lot shorter. But then my shaves aren't shorter and those that only want to watch through the first pass just turn it off anyway. I watch them through to the end brother. You do you, as goes that saying that I hate.

Yes, I’ve mentioned before that I usually just watch while I’m shaving or have it as some background noise, tuning in fully when things pique my interest. It’s all good.

I didn't answer your quirks question but after listening to NurseDave's responses I meant to list a few of my own.
Here's a quick list-
I prefer to wipe my razor on a sponge rather than rinse it in the sink water (filled so the water doesn't run). I don't want little whiskers floating in the water I am going to splash on my face.
I rinse my blade (or DE,SE) with 90% isopropyl immediately after rinsing in water.
I have begun to rinse my brushes with isopropyl too, I find it leaves the bristles softer and has stopped the funky smell from being an issue.
I can't lather part of my face and shave it, I need balance.
I do a nightly lather up so my morning beard is really ready for the shave.

I agree with your assessment of Fine aftershaves. I like/prefer that style of aftershave to the watery feel of some or the sticky feel of others. I don't like balms but will use them at night after my lather if my face is dry or the air is dry. My mind has trouble spending $20 on fine, at $15 I felt just fine (pun?) purchasing it but at $20 I feel like I am spending too much. As my stock depletes I am likely to replace with Stirling aftershaves, they are typically a good value and I am ok with the feel. For years I have made my own witch hazel post shave (not a CBL soap thing, just a personal thing) where I mix WH half and half or 60/40 with 90% isopropyl to get the alcohol kick, I mix in a bunch of menthol and a little bit of alum, glycerin and castor oil and I am good to go.

I used to stress about matching the soap with the aftershave and or cologne but my ability to match scents is as bad as my ability to match my shirt with my pants. Earlier this month I decided to not even try to match soap to post shave scents, the shave is one experience the post shave scent is a new one. You would not believe how that has reduced my stress level and open the door to using more soaps. I have a ton of stirling that rarely gets used because they are more eclectic scents without an obvious AS match (unless you get the matching AS). Now I don't feel restricted, I can use Electric Sheep or Texas on fire without worry.

Good thoughts Chris.

Interesting idea, the isopropyl dip for your brushes, I’d have imagined it to dry out the hairs too well, good to know.

I’ve been eyeing RR AS as my replacements, since they have all the same scents for essentially a little over half or more of the price. I know it’s just not the same though.

RR makes some good aftershaves, as does Stirling. But, I don't have a problem paying $20-25 for aftershaves. I really like PAA ASes and they are around $25. At $15 I thought Fine ASes were a good deal, at $20 I feel like they are about average price. However, PAA ASes seem to be a better deal due to the other additives (rose water, aloe, glycerin) that the Fine ASes lack. Also, RR and Stirling are just a better value all around (cheaper and more additives). I suppose you could argue that at $20 Fine has overshot at least part of their market. I will probably still replace them when I run out, however.

Dude, you rambled on almost as long as KJ's intro!

Back