The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

For the Love of Old Spice - Illini's Shave Journal

Man, great weekend aheadā€¦besides the weather that is!

Hope the christening goes well! Will it be a full dunk? šŸ˜‚
Thankfully no, although this time around they did pour the water over their heads at the baptismal font - when we got my son baptized in 2021 they were still just doing a small amount on a cloth on his head, presumably due to Covid precautions.

I love Goose Island beer - especially their IPA!

I hope it is good weather for the christening!
They've had some great pours over the years, and although I'm still bitter that AB moved production of the signature 312 to New York. Still have a buddy that pretty much exclusively drinks 312, which I realized a lot of folks didn't understand was named from the local area code (three-one-two) and not called three-twelve! I also loved their Honker's Ale, which previously was in bottles but moved to draught-only more than a couple years ago - they had it available for free on Saturday and I was thrilled!

moved production of the signature 312
They should have renamed the beer then to 212 - since it is named after the Area Code šŸ˜‚

I also enjoy their summer 15 packs - with their Hazy and Next Coast IPAs, as well as their Lemonade Shandyā€¦ā€¦Iā€™ve never tried their Bourbon County Stoudts - Iā€™ll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if they are available around here.

Have you ever tried Great Lakes Brewing? Great beer but not available in my area unfortunately.. The singer in my old band Lychesis was originally from Ohio and periodically he's go home to visit family. I'd always get him to bring me some back. Really liked the "Edmund Fitzgerald" Porter and "Eliot Ness" Amber Lager.

Have you ever tried Great Lakes Brewing? Great beer but not available in my area unfortunately.. The singer in my old band Lychesis was originally from Ohio and periodically he's go home to visit family. I'd always get him to bring me some back. Really liked the "Edmund Fitzgerald" Porter and "Eliot Ness" Amber Lager.
I havenā€™t tried Great Lakes Brewing - I need to check those out as well! Too many good brewers nowadays - so much selection!

They should have renamed the beer then to 212 - since it is named after the Area Code šŸ˜‚

I also enjoy their summer 15 packs - with their Hazy and Next Coast IPAs, as well as their Lemonade Shandyā€¦ā€¦Iā€™ve never tried their Bourbon County Stoudts - Iā€™ll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if they are available around here.
The standard 2021 Bourbon County saw a pretty material uptick in availability last year - it's always allocated, but it's been on the shelf fairly consistently around here. They always have a lot of adjuncts, and most are fairly difficult to find / get picked up by flippers. The standard BC is a good barrel-aged brew, but would never pay anything above retail - there are so many great barrel-aged offerings coming from most craft breweries that aren't hard to find these days!

My family is a big Great Lakes fan - their Christmas Ale is a holiday staple in our house! I think their distribution widened quite a bit in the last few years too.

Happy Monday friends. This past weekend was a wonderful one around here. Saturday I spent much of the day downtown with my best friends at Goose Island's Prop Day enjoying plenty of barrel-aged beers, and yesterday we celebrated the baptism of my daughter with our families including a party at our house afterwards. Both were fantastic, and both our 11 week old daughter and 2.5 year old son did SO well during the ceremony, much to our relief!

Couple of disappointing outcomes on some new job prospects is the only downer this Monday. It's never fun to be rejected from roles you felt like you were a good match for, but at the end of the day I'm still employed with good benefits which right now is 100% a blessing.

On the shave side, threw on my special LNDL Bleu Electrique yesterday for the baptism - man is that a great bottle. I can't believe YSL discontinued it so fast...must have been a dry goods regulation thing, it's the only thing that makes sense with how resoundingly positive the market took to it!

Sunday November 14th, 2022
Razor : Canadian Gillette Prewar Tech
Blade : Personna Lab Blue (5)
Brush : Rudy Vey Custom Plisson
Pre : Shower
Soap : Macduff's Coast-to-Coast

Monday November 14th, 2022
Blade : Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo Barberpole

Busy day at work today so actually had to skip this morning's shave. Today is the first snow in Chicagoland though, with at least 3 inches on grassy areas since 6am and looking to continue through the evening. As such, had to throw on my Stirling Christmas Eve balm despite not shaving and chasing with Halston Z14 to get myself in the mood for snow!

Almost to the weekend friends, this has been a slow week! Yesterday morning I had my first "ouch" moment in years when I instinctively went to grab the head of my Tech after fumbling it and sliced the tip of my finger pretty good. Pretty amazing how much blood came from what looks now to be a small cut. Always a good reminder that these things are sharp! Had to rush through the morning routine this morning to get out the door on time, so evidently in an every other day shave routine this week.

Noticed yesterday that the atomizer on my bottle of TdH EdT is kinda busted up - sometimes it's a nice spray, other times it sprays in an almost direct line jet. Makes spraying it on a pain in the but and I'm annoyed since it's not exactly cheap (even with my tester bottle!)

tumblr_n3sgz1sDr41r3z3gbo1_500.gif

Wednesday November 16th, 2022
Blade : Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo Barberpole

Back