The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

For the Love of Old Spice - Illini's Shave Journal

Been a couple of weeks but this time around I have great news to share - my son's MRI came back with absolutely no abnormalities found, indicating the crossed eye is just likely a combo of bad luck / family history / him coming 5 weeks premature. Eye doc is having him try glasses to see if that will help correct before resorting to surgery, but regardless of where that ultimately lands, the MRI results allowed my wife and I to truly breathe for what feels like the first time in a while.

The new job continues to be a welcomed challenge, spent most of last week in White Plains, NY meeting with the finance folks of the company we acquired in March. First time on a proper business trip since 2021 so that was fairly enjoyable.

In shavedom I received a bunch of Macy's samples which is always a fun mail day - wearing the sample of L’Eau d’Issey PH Vetiver this morning which is MUCH spicer than I had anticipated. Tons of ginger and probably leans better into an autumn frag for me personally. Continuing to plug along on my puck of MWF, which I just saw was apparently reformulated!? Another one bites the dust. That's okay, there's plenty of other shaving soaps out there and I probably wasn't going to pick up another puck regardless. I have plenty of old Williams to scratch my vintage-y tallow soap itch.

Thanks for stopping in!

Been a couple of weeks but this time around I have great news to share - my son's MRI came back with absolutely no abnormalities found, indicating the crossed eye is just likely a combo of bad luck / family history / him coming 5 weeks premature. Eye doc is having him try glasses to see if that will help correct before resorting to surgery, but regardless of where that ultimately lands, the MRI results allowed my wife and I to truly breathe for what feels like the first time in a while.
Great news!! Hope the glasses will do the trick for the little man. :)

Been a wild week of terrible smoky air here in Chicagoland - didn't appreciate what I was seeing on my drive to the train on Tuesday morning and thought it was standard haze. Thankfully the air has finally cleared up today which I know my wife is excited for as our son has been going a little stir crazy.

One exciting thing from the week is our new family room couch finally got delivered yesterday which we ordered way back in early May. It's a sectional so we have MUCH more room to spread out which is amazing - for the past 4 years we had the couch we had bought for our condo in our family room so that has now been relegated to the living room. You know you're old when you get excited about furniture.

The last couple weekends have been chaotic with plans but thankfully this upcoming weekend should be much quieter which is very much needed. Office is only closed next Tuesday so not a true long weekend this year. Ah well, I think 80% of the office took Monday off so should be very quiet.

Have a great weekend friends, we're almost there!

Been a wild week of terrible smoky air here in Chicagoland - didn't appreciate what I was seeing on my drive to the train on Tuesday morning and thought it was standard haze. Thankfully the air has finally cleared up today which I know my wife is excited for as our son has been going a little stir crazy.
Our time in Sacramento, during the worst CA fires a few years ago, the smoke and ash was crazy! Our home air filters were disgusting and we have fans an air purifiers chugging every day. Health was definitely a concern.

Glad it’s begun clearing up for you!

Hope everyone had a nice start to the holiday this past weekend. As anticipated, we had a nice and relaxed one around the house, with a family dinner at my parents Saturday night as had some extended family in from Florida. Don't get to see them that often so always nice to catch up.

We got a TON of rain across Chicagoland this weekend, with some places getting hurricane levels of 8+ inches over the course of a couple hours. RIP to garden-level apartments and basements across those areas of Southwest Chicago. Thankfully we ended up closer to 1.5 out here in the West burbs and my grass is very happy for it. It did ruin our plans to go to the pool both days, but so it goes.

I didn't have a ton of extra vacation to allocate this year after changing jobs in mid-May, so I'm working today. Thankfully most of the rest of the company flexed a vacation day so it's been very quiet. Hoping to shut down the laptop around 2/3 and head out to my wife's aunt and uncle's place for a 4th of July party they hosting today, complete with fried chicken and fireworks. Doesn't get much better than that!

Somehow I had completely forgotten that I had a couple of summertime soaps stashed in my "seasonal scents" box so those got taken out this morning - Spearhead Sea Spice Lime and MLSS Ecto Cooler. Spearhead Sea Spice Lime got used for this morning's shave and man what a fantastic scent and base. Chased with the matching splash and sprays of D&G Light Blue Italian Love and I'm feeling mighty citrus-y today!

Back