The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

ETHOS Grooming Essentials First Official Release

What is the texture of your soaps, Frank? Since you include a scoop, I assume they are not hard, but semi-soft? Are they more like a Proraso, Cella, or almost a hard cream?

Good morning guys! Hope all are doing well under these conditions and a shout out and thanks to all those working on the frontlines fighting this monster!

So I have a question for the TSC members and I'd like your feedback.

Just so you know I have been keeping track of all the sales as far as which product is selling the best in both my first release of the Dragonsbeard products and this recent release of the ETHOS products and this has something to do with my question as I will explain.

So I have quite a few soap making friends that I'm sure you all know of and have had some good conversation with them along the way and not just about soap making but about our hobby in general. I've also gotten what I'd call some good advice from a couple that have been in the soap making business for a long time and I respect the wisdom they have gathered over time.

Ok so from what all the soap makers have told me the normal ratio of soap sales to aftershave sales seems to fall between 25 to 30% of their soap sales so in short if they sell 100 jars of soap they will sell about 25 to 30 bottle of the same scented aftershave splash or balm and if they offer both splash and balm it's a lot more splashes than balms. After looking over my ratio and sharing this info with a couple of them I got some good advice and suggestions and also from a couple of members who I ran this idea by before posting up this up. So my ratio of Soap sales compared to my Skin Food splashes is like 65% to 70% which my friends say is way off the charts and not the norm. Of course I'm happy about that so many people are feeling the benefits of real skin food ingredients which I thought was very much needed in the wet shaving community for a long time. So it got me thinking and after coming up with an idea based off of that data I went back and asked the same folks about my idea and they all thought it was a good one.

My idea is this. I've known a lot of Shave soaps that have come out in the marketplace that don't always have a matching aftershaves or balms and their are some companies that don't even offer aftershaves at all like MDC which came to mind first. So my thoughts are what do you think if I came out with more Skin Food splashes and not always with a matching shave soap? A couple of examples. So there are a lot of Fougere scented soaps out there and again my personal favorite is MDC's version they use in their soaps. Also a lot of citrus scented soaps and definitely a whole lot of cologne type scented soaps. Making the Skin Food splashes are a lot less time consuming and since I have my formulas down it's mostly just coming up with a aroma to put in the formula. I've got so many scents I'd like to get out there but making a soap that matched would be a big task! Now don't get me wrong I've already got various different soap releases planned for this year but what I'm talking about is just coming out with more Skin Food Splashes than soaps. This way folks could get the benefits of the ingredients and match up or at least compliment the scent with their other favorite shaving soaps. Another example. I've been a huge fan of MDC Fougere for a long time and I've alway wanted to have a matching aftershave so I could wear the scent not just shave with it so about 2yrs ago I started to play with different formulas and the last one I made came real close and that is an example of one of the scents I'd release as a Skin Food splash only. I have to much respect for MDC as a company to come out with Shave Soap with that scent as I've had a coupe of phone conversations with them and they are wonderful people!

With everything going on right now and more time at home I could work on some new scents as I've always loved playing with them as it's not only been a part of my business for over 27 years but a hobby of mine. So I'd really like some feedback from members on this idea as your words mean a lot to me and I'll take all comments and suggestions into consideration as food for thought.

Thank you all for your support with the ETHOS brand and I'll be the nagging vendor who keeps saying please stay safe and healthy!

Frank

Late to the party as always but I wanted to chime in on this. As a consumer I think have a variety is always a good thing. But you, being a business owner, I am sure understand all too well that you can't have product just sitting on shelves either. I am sure that if at first you produce a few extra scents that you KNOW will do well, that would be probably smarter. As you get a feel for what is selling and what is not...then you can always add another scent that you want to try. Honestly, for you, with your high end ingredients and products, you might want to consider a similar business model (in terms of new type scents and such) as Chatillon Lux. They seem to have a set number of scents that are always produced, but then have limited releases (that sometimes return) of very interesting scent lines.

Anyway...just my two cents...I am super happy that you are doing well even in these strange times!

Late to the party as always but I wanted to chime in on this. As a consumer I think have a variety is always a good thing. But you, being a business owner, I am sure understand all too well that you can't have product just sitting on shelves either. I am sure that if at first you produce a few extra scents that you KNOW will do well, that would be probably smarter. As you get a feel for what is selling and what is not...then you can always add another scent that you want to try. Honestly, for you, with your high end ingredients and products, you might want to consider a similar business model (in terms of new type scents and such) as Chatillon Lux. They seem to have a set number of scents that are always produced, but then have limited releases (that sometimes return) of very interesting scent lines.

Anyway...just my two cents...I am super happy that you are doing well even in these strange times!

Don

Thank for the suggestions and well taken. The scents I just released we except for the Mysore Santal being it’s so hard to get will be staples as I can see both of them being used no matter what time of the year. I see some scents as either seasonal or maybe even only produced when the aroma ingredients are available. I will add standards along the way that like the Lavender for example will always be a stock item. Some scents I’ll make only in the Skin Food splashes and if I get enough requests for a shave soap in the same scent and the scent leans itself to a soap base then I’ll add it. I guess it’s kind of testing the market demand also. I think that coming out with more Skin Food splashes than soaps also allows customers that have soaps without AS’s to maybe match up one of the ETHOS SFS’s while also getting the ingredients benefits.

Thank you so much for your input as it is very much appreciated!
😊👍🏼

Thought I’d post this up. When you get your order wether a tub of Shave soap or a complete set please make sure you look for your scoop and Skin Food or EDP sample. I just ordered little bags for them because if they fall to the bottom during shipping you might accidentally throw one or both away. When a set is ordered I always put the Skin Food in a cloth bag so I’ve been putting the scoop and sample on the bag. Just wanted to make sure you get them.
5B8382F5-E7FF-43C3-8523-39F0C37179B4.jpeg

That packaging and presentation looks very nice! I especially like the scoop and sample of skin food-nice touch.

For my two cents, there are some, myself included, who will instinctively buy a set, simply because it's a set. The soap and post-shave scents match, and there's no wondering if one will clash with the other.

About the only time I've ever purchased just a post-shave product is when the soap was unavailable, or it was an unscented serum or balm.

Thanks for your input and most every shave soap I make will probably have a matching Skin Food splash but there are some scents as one member posted that a person might like shaving with a scent but wouldn’t want to wear the scent or they love a shave soap but the soap maker doesn’t make a matching aftershave so that’s another reason for making some extra Skin Food splashes do people could match them to their soaps that don’t offer an aftershave.

That packaging and presentation looks very nice! I especially like the scoop and sample of skin food-nice touch.

For my two cents, there are some, myself included, who will instinctively buy a set, simply because it's a set. The soap and post-shave scents match, and there's no wondering if one will clash with the other.

About the only time I've ever purchased just a post-shave product is when the soap was unavailable, or it was an unscented serum or balm.
Michael! Welcome to TSC! Thanks for joining this misfit of wayward wet shavers!

Michael! Welcome to TSC! Thanks for joining this misfit of wayward wet shavers!
Thanks for your input and most every shave soap I make will probably have a matching Skin Food splash but there are some scents as one member posted that a person might like shaving with a scent but wouldn’t want to wear the scent or they love a shave soap but the soap maker doesn’t make a matching aftershave so that’s another reason for making some extra Skin Food splashes do people could match them to their soaps that don’t offer an aftershave.

@Dragonsbeard @dangerousdon Thanks for the welcome. And Don, wayward and misfit are very mild adjectives compared to what the better half calls me!

@Dragonsbeard Very happy to hear that the soaps will have matching Skin Foods. Really looking forward to trying them. I was thinking of some artisans who make aftershave products with specific and (to my nose) unusual scents. If you had extra Skin Foods with scents that would go well with popular 'categories' of soaps (citrus forward, lavender forward, etc.) that makes great sense.

Congrats on the launch, and the fact that you're doing this despite this whole virus thing and the delay on your website speaks well of your resolve!

All the best,

Michael

UPDATE:

I had a member in a pm ask me this excellent question which I thought I’d share my response to him as I’ve decided to push this scent ahead of the Chai Zao as the more I thought about it I think the Chai is more of a cool weather scent and since most of the country is heading into spring and then summer I’ll hold of till fall to release it and release the Spa Collection’s first release and the scent that is featured in it.

Can I ask what the scent profile of Spa is?

Great question!
The Spa scent is very difficult to describe but here’s the way I’ll describe it once the website is up. If you’ve been to or you ever go into a large spa or spa resort the combination of a many, many different essential oils that are used for aromatherapy and in spa treatments fill the air with a untried scent that is best described as the “ scent of a spa.” and a good or trained nose can pick up familiar singular notes within the complexity of the spa scent while others just take a depth breath and enjoy the aroma that fills the air of the spa

I’ve worked with a large natural fragrance/aromatherapy company over 3 years ago developing this scent and It took a long time and a lot of back and forth sampling’s, rejections until we got to the final approved scent I was looking for. So I think it’s time to get it out there for others to enjoy it. I call the scent “ Oh “ and the story behind why it’s called that is because in testing the final formula at a Las Vegas trade show where we put it in a hand cream. We had a women in the isle asking people who walked by if they’d like a sample and if they did she’d put a small pump of it in their hand and of course they’d rub it in as they were walking away and I can’t tell you the amount of people that just stopped in their tracks said “ Oh “ turned around and walked back to inquire about the scent and it was so overwhelming that the team that was working the booth called it “ Oh “ right then and there and it stuck! To me the aroma can be both calming and invigorating depending on my mood and because of its complexity yet singularly simple aroma it’s the best way I can describe it.
Thought you all might like to here the story behind the scent. I’m looking forward to bringing it to the Cadre and the Wet Shaving Community in the near future.

An thanks @Oasisdave again for inquiring about it. 👍🏼😊

Frank,

I want you know that I am enjoying the Pineapple Noir set. I have the Mysore Splash cued up for tomorrow following a Grooming Dept Sandalwood Nobile shave. Can you think of any other soaps that you would recommend be paired with the Mysore splash?

Have you considered selling a smaller soap size, say 3 oz?

Glenn

Last edited:
Frank,

I want you know that I am enjoying the Pineapple Noir set. I have the Mysore Splash cued up for tomorrow following a Grooming Dept Sandalwood Nobile shave. Can you think any other soaps that you would recommend be paired with the Mysore splash?

Have you considered selling a smaller soap size, say 3 oz?

Glenn

Hi Glenn
To answer your question about a Sandalwood shave soap that would come close to matching the Mysore Santal. The only one I can think of is the original AOS Sandalwood as they used to use Mysore in the scent before 70 % the Mysore Sandalwood forest was destroyed. It’s now being controlled by the Indian Government so it’s really hard to get and extremely expensive if you can. So I don’t think you’ll find a modern shave soap using it. Just for the heck of it I costed out what it would cost to make a 4 oz Shave soap if I could get enough to make a batch and the soap would definitely be well over $100 a puck . I was very lucky to get the amount of the oil I got along with the Mysore wood chips which I infused into the Mysore Sandalwood EDT Skin Food Splash using the wood chips you see at the bottom of the bottle which BTW will continue to enhance the aroma. There are other Sandalwood from Australia for example that is readily available but it doesn’t have that warm creamy aroma that Mysore does. If I ever can obtain through my friend in India enough Mysore to make a limited release shave soap Id do it in a NY minute. BTW a friend of mine found a original AOS Sandalwood soap at Marshall’s I believe so their out there. I also know they didn’t use just Sandalwood in that scent but added other notes but it was as close as you can get to what’s in that

So as far as offering a smaller jar I’m already on it as the next release of the Dragonsbeard will be in a smaller 4oz puck which I plan on using for certain releases where the ingredient cost drives the price of a 7oz jar way up. So yes I have some ordered and on their way.

Also I’m glad you like the Pineapple Noir. I really enjoy it a lot and I think it would work well if it had a cooling agent in it for the hot weather so I’ve decided to make some ice cold drops that a person could put into their shave bowl or on the tip of their shave brush to cool down any scent I’ll make. Those bottles and ingredients are on their way also. I’m going to try a different approach to how to make my formula.

Thank you Glenn for the input! I want you to know it is very much appreciated!

😊👍

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I had a member in a pm ask me this excellent question which I thought I’d share my response to him as I’ve decided to push this scent ahead of the Chai Zao as the more I thought about it I think the Chai is more of a cool weather scent and since most of the country is heading into spring and then summer I’ll hold of till fall to release it and release the Spa Collection’s first release and the scent that is featured in it.

Great question!
The Spa scent is very difficult to describe but here’s the way I’ll describe it once the website is up. If you’ve been to or you ever go into a large spa or spa resort the combination of a many, many different essential oils that are used for aromatherapy and in spa treatments fill the air with a untried scent that is best described as the “ scent of a spa.” and a good or trained nose can pick up familiar singular notes within the complexity of the spa scent while others just take a depth breath and enjoy the aroma that fills the air of the spa

I’ve worked with a large natural fragrance/aromatherapy company over 3 years ago developing this scent and It took a long time and a lot of back and forth sampling’s, rejections until we got to the final approved scent I was looking for. So I think it’s time to get it out there for others to enjoy it. I call the scent “ Oh “ and the story behind why it’s called that is because in testing the final formula at a Las Vegas trade show where we put it in a hand cream. We had a women in the isle asking people who walked by if they’d like a sample and if they did she’d put a small pump of it in their hand and of course they’d rub it in as they were walking away and I can’t tell you the amount of people that just stopped in their tracks said “ Oh “ turned around and walked back to inquire about the scent and it was so overwhelming that the team that was working the booth called it “ Oh “ right then and there and it stuck! To me the aroma can be both calming and invigorating depending on my mood and because of its complexity yet singularly simple aroma it’s the best way I can describe it.
Thought you all might like to here the story behind the scent. I’m looking forward to bringing it to the Cadre and the Wet Shaving Community in the near future.

An thanks @Oasisdave again for inquiring about it. 👍🏼😊
That's a great 'behind the scenes' story on the development of the scent and name. Looking forward to adding it to the den 😁

So after reading the description of “Oh”, I’ll be getting that & the Citrus when each are released. Thank you Frank for making such quality products. I have Dragonsbeard & Lavender, & both are exceptional.

Thank you David iIm glad you like the Lavender and did you get to try the Skin Fokd Sample I sent you?

I think the Spa “ Oh “ scent will be right up your alley my friend.

👍😊

I received the Lavender soap, Mysore Santal Skin Food splash and a sample of the Pineapple Noir splash. The scents are amazing and I have never found a lavender scent that I liked before. I really appreciate how well the splashes moisturize and reinvigorates my skin and has become my favorite post shave product. The soap is slick, easy to lather and does not leave my face dry. I am close to ridding the den of extraneous soaps that at one time I held in high regard either for the performance or scent or both. The goal is to keep at most 5 brands in rotation and Ethos has just joined this elite group. Looking forward to future creations. Well done DB!!! Perhaps a Bay Rum?

Back