The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doug's Journal of Shaving Happiness v2.0

My condolences on your aunt.

I hope your wife has a most fantastic birthday! And I’m so glad for you and your new job - that is wonderful to hear.

Journal Entry #879
2022 Shaves (DE: 118, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 74)

07/30/2022
Pre
: Hot shower/splash of cool water
Razor: Merkur 38c
Blade: Ladas SS (1)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Lather Bowl
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Handle, Brown Hair Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Strike Gold Shave Old Hickory (?)
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Petal Facial Toner
AS 2: Lucky Tiger AS and Facial Tonic
AS 3: Aqua Velva 5-in-1 Sensitive ASB
Fragrance: Floris No. 89

07/31/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Dunhill for Men by Alfred Dunhill

08/01/2022
Pre
Razor: Baili BD179 TTO
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - Germany (1)
Bowl: none
Brush: Fine Stout Shaving Brush 24mm
Soap/Cream: Arko shave stick (?)
Fragrance: Penhaligon's English Fern

Overview
I usually like road trips. Not this one.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave was a little rough, but really good overall. There is a bit of residual irritation. It will go away eventually.

Gear
  • The hardware is good. Both the Merkur 38c and the Baili 179 are fairly mild razors. The Merkur is better, however.
  • The German Wilkie is a little better than the Ladas blade, but both are solidly good blades.
  • The Strike Gold Old Hickory is my favorite scent in their product line, but I am not sure if they still produce it.
  • Arko rocks, but I don't have it dialed in for the best results.
  • Floris No. 89 ... ... What, you don't have a bottle yet? Why the heck not? Get one! It is a spicy, gentlemanly killer of a fragrance.
  • Dunhill for Men has an oddly shaped bottle. The fragrance is very lavender. It smells like a high-end bar of soap to me. It is a great cheapie. I have heard that it is discontinued, but I don't know for sure. I need to get a backup bottle.
  • Penhaligon's English Fern makes me sad. It is a beautiful example of a gentlemanly, old-school fougere. It should never have been discontinued.
Other Thoughts
I am currently at my parent's house in Iowa for my aunt's funeral. The drive out was uneventful. I usually like the drive. Obviously, this time was different. I wish that I could spend some more time out here, but I have to leave tomorrow. Adulting... Ugh.

At least I have a couple of nice fragrances here with me. Dunhill Man is so, so good. English Fern is a favorite.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Last edited:
Journal Entry #881
2022 Shaves (DE: 119, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 76)

08/02/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Alfred Sung Homme

08/03/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Jimmy Choo Man Ice

08/04/2022
Pre
Razor: Merkur 41c
Blade: Crown SS (1)
Fragrance: Cremo Silver Water and Birch

Overview
Long Week

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave was a little rough, but really good overall. There is a bit of residual irritation. It will go away eventually.

Gear
  • Shave hardware is good.
  • Shave software is great. I love the Old Hickory fragrance from Strike Gold.
  • Fragrances are good. Jimmy Choo Man Ice is a very fleeting fragrance, however.
Other Thoughts
Trying to make progress at work and having difficulty. Some things are just too convoluted. Some things are not well thought through. It makes for a clunky experience. Hopefully we can change a bunch of this stuff for the second version of the product.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Trying to make progress at work and having difficulty. Some things are just too convoluted. Some things are not well thought through. It makes for a clunky experience. Hopefully we can change a bunch of this stuff for the second version of the product.
Untangling someone else's software knots has got to be a chore. 😕

Journal Entry #882
2022 Shaves (DE: 120, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 78)

08/05/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Azzaro Wanted EdT

08/06/2022
Pre
Blade: Crown SS (2)
Soap/Cream: Art of Shaving Lemon soap - new formula (?)
Fragrance: YSL L'Homme EdT

08/07/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Burberry for Men EdT

Overview
A nice weekend

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
The shave with the AOS lemon soap was more irritating than it should have been. The soap was giving me the tingles. Kind of a bummer.

Gear
  • Shave hardware is good.
  • Disappointed with the AOS soap. The old formula worked better for me.
  • Fragrances are good. YSL L'Homme is a classic. Burberry for Men is one of my favorites. I just wish it had better longevity.
Other Thoughts
The weekend had ups and downs, but was good overall. I am worried and a bit stressed about my surgery. I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday. I hope it goes well.

Journal Entry #883
2022 Shaves (DE: 123, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 80)

08/08/2022
Pre
Blade: Crown SS (3)
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush (Cashmere synth)
Fragrance: Cerruti 1881 for Men

08/09/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Hugo Just Different for Men by Hugo Boss

08/10/2022
Pre
Blade: Crown SS (4)
Fragrance: Lomani Pour Homme EdT

08/11/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Boucheron Pour Homme EdP

08/12/2022
Pre
Razor: Merkur Progress @3
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Fragrance: Givenchy Gentlemen Only EdT

Overview
Kind of a long week... Again.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
The shaves have been good to great. Today's was just good. The progress left me with two very small weepers and a bit of irritation. I think my face is getting a bit more sensitive as I get older. I am having more problems with aggressive razors.

Gear
  • The hardware and software are good. I can't complain too much about any of my shave gear, except to say that I may need to slim down my collection of razors.
  • As usual the fragrances have been stellar. I love Cerruti 1881. It is a fantastic old-school fragrance. Lomani is great, although it is too aquatic for Emily, my wife. Hugo Just Different is a very nice modern perfume that I got at TJ Maxx for ~$25 for 125 mL. It was a really good deal for a very nice perfume. It has a wonderful mint note. Givenchy Gentlemen Only is a very, very underrated gem. You guys should try them all.
Other Thoughts
Yesterday was my pre-op checkup. It went well and I am go for the hip replacement on September 2. It is going to be a long 3 months of recovery. I have been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the procedure. They aren't lowering my anxiety much, but they are helping. It is going to be a long haul. There is a decent risk of dislocation until the three month mark, which is when the muscles in my leg should have completely healed and adjusted to the new joint. After that I will still have to be careful, because the risk of dislocation lowers, but never goes away. I should be able to live completely normally after the three month point, however.

At some point in the next few years I will need to get my left hip replaced. It is starting to get arthritic and has some abnormalities. So, my new hip should start taking the load from my left hip as it degrades. I wonder how long it will be before I am prepping for surgery again.

But, at least the weekend is here.

Journal Entry #884
2022 Shaves (DE: 124, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 85)

08/13/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Givenchy Gentleman EdT (2017)

08/14/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Naughton & Wilson Gravitas Pour Homme

08/15/2022
Pre
Razor: Merkur Progress @1
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Fragrance: Original Penguin Original Blend

08/16/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Atelier Des Ors Rouge Sarây

08/17/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Dior Sauvage EdT

08/18/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Rochas L'Homme

Overview
A week of many skips

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
So, Friday's shave was worse than I initially thought. I had to take two days off to recover. I would have shaved today, but I woke up too late.

Gear
  • Everything is fantastic with my shave gear.
  • The recent fragrances have been mostly good. The Original Blend from Original Penguin was meh, but the others are excellent.
Other Thoughts
Haven't been sleeping well this week and it has thrown off my whole schedule. Also in a crunch at work, so working longer hours. This is probably going to keep up until my surgery. It is around that time that we should be making our latest submission to the FDA for the device. If that goes well we should get final approval to actually sell the device. Things, hopefully, while I am recovering and working mostly (or possibly completely) from home, things should be slowing down a bit.

Journal Entry #885
2022 Shaves (DE: 126, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 86)

08/19/2022
Pre
Razor: Mergress XL @3 (first pass) @1 (second pass)
Blade: ASCO Platinum -- orange (1)
Fragrance: Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

08/20/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Aramis Adventurer

08/19/2022
Pre
Razor: Mergress XL @1
Blade: ASCO Platinum -- orange (2)
Fragrance: Parfums de Marley Percival

Overview

A week of many skips

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave left me with some razor burn, but that didn't last long. The shaves with the Mergress have been great overall.

Gear
  • Mergress is very nice.
  • ASCO orange blades are quite good.
  • The Strike Gold Old Hickory isn't going to last much longer. The doughnut hole of death has appeared.
  • Tommy is a fantastic 90s era fragrance. I love it.
  • Aramis Adventurer is nice and inoffensive, but not memorable.
  • PdM Percival is made of high quality materials, but is not a great perfume. It smells like Mont Blanc Legend, but isn't as good. I am glad that I only have a sample of it. I would be unhappy with myself if I had bought a full bottle.
Other Thoughts
Worked the weekend. Hopefully, that will put me in a good place to get everything done by Friday. *Fingers Crossed*

I can't wait for this filing to be done. Then maybe things will slow down a bit for me.

Journal Entry #886
2022 Shaves (DE: 130, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 91)

08/22/2022
Pre
Razor: Mergress XL @1 (second pass)
Blade: ASCO Platinum -- orange (1)
Fragrance: I forget

08/23/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
I forget

08/24/2022
Pre
Razor: Mergress XL @1 (second pass)
Blade: ASCO Platinum -- orange (2)
Fragrance: Etat Libre d'Orange You Or Someone Like You

08/25/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
I forget

08/25/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Versace Eros EdT

08/26/2022
Pre
Razor: F2 Gillette Fatboy @5
Blade: Treet Platinum (1)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Plissoft synthetic w/purple handle
Fragrance: Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician

08/27/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Original Penguin Premium Blend

08/28/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Original Penguin Iconic Blend

08/29/2022
Pre
Razor: Post-War Gillette Tech
Blade: Treet Platinum (2)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Plissoft synthetic w/purple handle
Fragrance: Samy Andraus Blue Sapphire

Overview
Lots of skips

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
The shave with the Tech was great today. The Mergress and the Fatboy irritated the heck out of my neck. I need to work on my technique there.

Gear
  • Feeling good about everything.
  • The Original Penguin fragrances are cheap and okay, but just okay.
Other Thoughts
I am behind on my documentation project. I need to push hard and get it done today. Work continues to be a bit overwhelming. We will see what it is like after we get our FDA filing in.

Friday... This coming Friday is new hip day. Have I mentioned yet that I really don't want to do this? I need to do it, but I really, really don't want to do it. Everyone keeps telling me that I will be much, much happier and have so much less pain afterwards. I am sure that I will. I wish I didn't have to do it. The science and technology that goes into it is fascinating. The surgeon is a very personable and friendly person who really seems to know his :poop:. My hip is completely shot and I need to get it done. If I could reasonably put it off any longer, I would. There are a crap ton of things to remember. It is going to be three months of recovery time that is going to be various levels of suck. It is going to take six weeks, fully half the recovery time, for the incision to heal. That is assuming there are no complications that cause them to reopen me. Once December rolls around I should be back to normal? Or a new sort of normal, I guess. I will still have certain restrictions, I guess. But, at least December is the end of the recovery period. While I am fascinated by the whole process, I am very not happy about having to do it. Do not want. Do not like.

Oh, and my left hip is on borrowed time. The osteoarthritis is not bad. Yet. However, I can feel it starting to deteriorate. Will it be a year? Two? Six months? I can't say. It will probably be longer than months because the x-rays don't look that bad yet. So, yeah. Even after my surgery this Friday I am still going to have hip pain. Just on the other side. I know that I will have significantly less pain. Even if I have residual incision scar pain, the pain should be much, much less. Part of me wishes they could do a bi-lateral replacement so that I could just be done with it. But, yeah, I will be doing this again in the not too distant future. Maybe when that one rolls around I will be in better spirits about it having it done since I will fully understand what I am in for.

I turn 45 tomorrow (August 30). My biggest birthday gift is a new hip. Of all the problems I could have, health related or otherwise, it could be much worse. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Some days it is hard to be thankful or mindful. I guess today is one of those days.

Doug I am confident that your "normal" after recovery is going to be better significantly currently. Praying for you and a quick recovery!

Back