The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doug's Journal of Shaving Happiness v2.0

Journal Entry #894
2022 Shaves (DE: 137, SE: 20, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 108)

09/24/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
English Laundry Signature

09/25/2022
Pre:
Hot shower/splash of cool water
Razor: Colonial Razors The General v1
Blade: Feather AC Pro (8)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Lather Bowl
Brush: RazoRock 24mm Plissoft synthetic w/barber handle
Soap/Cream: Strike Gold Shave Old Hickory (?)
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Petal Facial Toner
AS 2: Lucky Tiger AS and Facial Tonic
AS 3: Aqua Velva 5-in-1 Sensitive ASB
Fragrance: Jacques Bogart Pour Homme

Overview
A lavender weekend

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Another great shave with the General. Comfortable, close, and low irritation.

Gear
  • Shave hardware is great.
  • Shave software is equally great.
  • English Laundry Signature is a very nice lavender fragrance, but it doesn't project or last that long.
  • Bogart Pour Homme is different and quite nice. It is an interesting lavender fragrance.
Other Thoughts
I tried driving for the first time since my surgery on Saturday. It is a little uncomfortable, but I can do it so I will be going back into the office a couple of days this week. It's an improvement.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

I tried driving for the first time since my surgery on Saturday. It is a little uncomfortable, but I can do it so I will be going back into the office a couple of days this week. It's an improvement.
That's a nice milestone to reach. Drive carefully, Doug. :)

Journal Entry #895
2022 Shaves (DE: 139, SE: 20, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 111)

09/26/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Pino Silvestre

09/27/2022
Pre:
Razor: Rockwell 6C @R3
Blade: Zorrik Super Platinum (3)
Fragrance: Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir

09/28/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Houbigant Duc de Vervains

09/29/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

09/30/2022
Pre:
Razor: Rockwell 6C @R3
Blade: Zorrik Super Platinum (4)
Fragrance: Versace Eros Flame

Overview
A good week

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Great shaves this week.

Gear
  • Shave hardware is great.
  • Shave software is equally great.
  • All of the fragrances were new to me and I love them all.
Other Thoughts
I went back into work on Wednesday for the first time since surgery. It was a good day, but it was long and tiring. Things are slowly getting back to normal. I still have lots of stiffness and limited motion in my leg, but it is getting better.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Journal Entry #896
2022 Shaves (DE: 140, SE: 20, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 111)

10/01/2022
Pre:
Razor: Gillette NEW SC w/thin bar handle
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Soap/Cream: Tabac tallow formula (?)
AS 2: Aqua Velva 5-in-1 Sensitive ASB
AS 3: Tabac Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Tabac EdC & EdT

Overview
Starting TabacTober with a killer shave

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave lather was so good that I did a three pass shave, which I never do. Thick, rich, and slick. It was everything that a tallow Tabac shave should be.

Gear
  • The NEW Short Comb is a good razor.
  • The Derby Premium is a good blade.
  • It is a shame that the factory that made the tallow Tabac closed and they had to discontinue the formula. It is my grail soap.
  • I love everything Tabac, even the EdT. It is somewhat different, but together with the AS and EdC it is a fabulous experience.

Other Thoughts
It is October, so that means watching tons of horror movies with my wife. It is going to be a fun month.

Journal Entry #896
2022 Shaves (DE: 140, SE: 20, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 111)

10/01/2022
Pre:
Razor: Gillette NEW SC w/thin bar handle
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Soap/Cream: Tabac tallow formula (?)
AS 3: Tabac Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Tabac EdC & EdT

Overview
Starting TabacTober with a killer shave

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave lather was so good that I did a three pass shave, which I never do. Thick, rich, and slick. It was everything that a tallow Tabac shave should be.

Gear
  • The NEW Short Comb is a good razor.
  • The Derby Premium is a good blade.
  • It is a shame that the factory that made the tallow Tabac closed and they had to discontinue the formula. It is my grail soap.
  • I love everything Tabac, even the EdT. It is somewhat different, but together with the AS and EdC it is a fabulous experience.

Other Thoughts
It is October, so that means watching tons of horror movies with my wife. It is going to be a fun month.

Horror movies with the wife. Sounds great.

Hey Doug - been a while since your last post - need some deets! Any new fragrance or watch purchases? Are you fully recovered from the surgery - or do you still have to do PT? Inquiring minds want to Know! Hope all is well

Journal Entry #897

Today's Shave - 01/01/2023
Pre:
Razor: Baili BT131 Rose Gold 3 Piece
Blade: Treet Platinum
Bowl: Turkish Shave Mug
Brush: Custom Sorrentino brush w/ Tuxedo knot
Soap/Cream: PAA Magi (Kokum Butter formula)
AS 3: PAA Magi Star Jelly ASB
AS 4: PAA Magi AS Splash
Fragrance: PAA Magi EdP

Overview
An okay start to the New Year.

Shave Stuff
I spent most of November and the start of December shaving with "Winter" by Oz Shaving. It is a good soap. The scent reminds me of Coca Cola. In January I am going to go back to it and try to finish it. For the Christmas season I have been shaving with (and am almost finished with) a tub of the old Kokum Butter formula of PAA's Magi. It is Emily's favorite Christmas shave scent. I have only a few more shaves on the tub before it is gone. I think I might be able to finish it before the Epiphany. But, we shall see.

I got my right ear today when the razor slipped a bit. It is more annoying than anything. Other than that the shave was really good. Overall the shaves have been excellent lately. I am thinking about thinning out my razor collection.

Other Stuff
The Christmas season was good, but we need to definitely cut down on expenses for at least the first quarter of 2023. I have spent too much on Magic the Gathering in the last couple of months.

My right hip is great. My left hip is starting to complain. Such is life.

Work is going well. I have had a nice break. Now it is back to the grind this week. I am hoping to have a few quiet days in the office. We'll see.

I picked up a copy of "Watchmen" by Moore and Gibbons (DC Comics) today. Can you believe that I have never read it before? I plowed through about half of it today. It is much better than the movie. I still need to watch the HBO series.

Glad things are going overall well for you Doug! Good to see you pop in!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Journal Entry #898

Today's Shave - 01/07/2023
Pre:
Razor: Rockwell T2 @3
Blade: Shark Stainless
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary brush w/Cashmere Knot
Soap/Cream: PAA Magi (Kokum Butter formula)
AS 3: PAA Magi Star Jelly ASB
AS 4: PAA Magi AS Splash
Fragrance: PAA Magi EdP

Overview
A good end to the first week of the year.

Shave Stuff
I am still shaving with the PAA Magi. It is a fantastic soap. The tub only has another shave or two left in it. The AS splash is also almost completely gone. I want to go back to the Oz Shaving Winter, but I need to finish this tub first.

I am hoping to finish several tubs of soap this year so that my stash is less overflowing.

Other Stuff
The week was good, but uneventful.

Journal Entry #899

Today's Shave - 02/01/2023
Pre:
Razor: Mergress XL @4
Blade
: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush:
Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Handle, Brown Hair Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (1)
AS 3: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Fragrance: none

Overview
This Minimalist Challenge is really going to hamper my efforts to kill soaps this year. Oh, well. It should be fun.

Shave Stuff
I didn't bloom. I didn't load hard. I just put the puck into an Old Spice mug and hit it with a wet brush. I tried to get "just enough" soap in my brush. It still made a decent amount of lather. I tried to cut down on the amount of time the blade was on my face in order to help with longevity of the shaving edge. I will probably palm strop it before my next shave, and maybe after.

The shave was good. I could have used a little more product and some more water for more optimum slickness, but the results were the usual fantastic Williams shave. Minimizing the amount of blade contact with my face made for a better shave, I think.

I also did something that I have never done before. Since I bowl lather, I usually make more lather than I can use in a single shave. Today, rather than just wash the extra down the drain, I saved most of the excess lather on top of the puck in the Old Spice mug. My next shave should be interesting when I attempt to use the saved lather. I may switch to face lathering for the duration of the challenge to help cut down on the soap waste.

Other Stuff
Work is going well. We are trying like mad to get some software releases out the door to help with some clinical studies that we are kicking off. It is kind of a difficult time right now.

In my non-work life I have been obsessed with the D&D/OGL (Open Game License) fiasco that Wizards of the Coast (owner of D&D, and a subsidiary of Hasbro) caused for themselves. As someone who has been a content producer (mostly podcasts), and life-long RPG enthusiast, it is probably no shock that I completely support the community on this one. It is resolved for now, but this is the second time that I have lived through WotC pulling shenanigans like this. I will be buying all of my RPG materials from other companies from here on.

Other than that life goes on. My left hip is okay for now, but it is going slowly downhill. I probably won't need the replacement for a couple more years, but it isn't far off. My car is running well. My house is in good shape. Everything is too expensive right now. It has been too cold and too dry here in Colorado lately.

Journal Entry #900

Today's Shave - 02/02/2023
Pre:
Razor: Mergress XL @1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Bowl: none
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Handle, Brown Hair Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (2)
AS 3: Beverly Hills Polo Club Blaze AS
Fragrance: Beverly Hills Polo Club Blaze EdT

Overview
Two shaves in and doing okay.

Shave Stuff
The saved lather from yesterday rehydrated like a champ. A wet brush grabbed up the dry soap with just a couple of swirls in the Old Spice mug. From there rebuilding the lather on my face was really quick. I don't usually face lather, but it worked well today. Two really slick passes later my face is smooth with just a tiny bit of razor burn. I don't usually shave every day because my facial skin is sensitive. However, for this challenge I am going to see how many days in a row I can go without skipping. If I can keep the irritation to a minimum it should be fine.

Other Stuff
I am not a fan of winter. The air in Colorado gets dryer during this part of the year. My hands are drying and cracking. It really sucks.

I am reading any buying a ton of RPG (Roleplaying Game) books. All of them are from producers other than WotC. There is some interesting stuff out there. I have a local group that meets on Mondays and has since before the great plague of 2020. We were primarily a D&D group, with some Savage Worlds (from Pinnacle Entertainment Group) thrown in for good measure. Now we are going to really branch out. I am prepping a one-shot of Mythras (from The Design Mechanism). It should be fun. It is a skill-centric fantasy system that uses d% (roll low) for task and conflict resolution. It is the same system used by the Call of Cthulhu RPG from Chaosium. I am also looking at Pathfinder 2e from Paizo Inc., Traveller 2e from Mongoose Publishing, and several other games. I have always liked exploring different RPGs, now I am getting a chance to run a bunch of them. 2023 should be an interesting year for me game-wise.

Journal Entry #901

Today's Shave - 02/04/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (4)
AS 3: Fine Classic Green Vetiver AS
Fragrance: Guerlain Vetiver EdT

Overview
Still going good with daily shaves.

Shave Stuff
The shaves are good. I flipped the blade after today's shave.

Also, Guerlain Vetiver is a killer fragrance. Today was two days in a row.

Other Stuff
I attended a Magic the Gathering pre-release event last night. It was fun, but I am terrible at building sealed decks.

Also, Whistlepig FarmStock Beyond Bonded Bourbon is not too bad. It isn't worth the price, but it is good bourbon.

Journal Entry #902

Today's Shave - 02/09/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (9)
AS 3: YSL L'Homme ASB
Fragrance: YSL L'Homme EdT

Overview
Keeping up the daily shaves and my face is doing well.

Shave Stuff
I have sensitive skin, as I have mentioned multiple times, sometimes daily shaving leaves my neck in quite a state. Not right now, however. The Mergress, Gillette Platinum, and Williams combination is just working for me with a light brush load and face lathering. I don't think I will get to 100 shaves on a single puck of Williams, but I am learning something new.

Other Stuff
Having a bad week at work. It isn't really worth rehashing here except to say that I hope the two new Director level people we are trying to bring in make some of the changes that I need.

Sometimes reading RPG rules is a good cure for insomnia. I am reading a rather crunchy game book right now, called Mythras (available from these guys: The Design Mechanism). I am currently in the section on special combat maneuvers and I couldn't keep my eyes open last night while reading. I want to run this game for a group of my friends, and I will, but it is going to take me some time to read the rules. There are three hundred solid pages of them with no setting information. Intellectually interesting, but coma inducing at the same time.

Back