The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doug's Journal of Shaving Happiness v2.0

Happy almost Birthday, Doug! Have confidence in your OR team, and be prepared to work hard at rehab. Your gonna be fine. (y)

Journal Entry #887
2022 Shaves (DE: 131, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 93)

08/30/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Azzaro Chrome Extreme

08/31/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon

09/01/2022
Pre
: Hot shower/splash of cool water
Razor: X3 (1952) Post-War Gillette Tech
Blade: Treet Platinum (3)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Lather Bowl
Brush: Maggard 24mm Plissoft synthetic w/purple handle
Soap/Cream: Strike Gold Shave Old Hickory (?)
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Petal Facial Toner
AS 2: Lucky Tiger AS and Facial Tonic
AS 3: Aqua Velva 5-in-1 Sensitive ASB
Fragrance: YSL Y Eau Fraische

Overview
Less than 24 hours

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave was really good. I am still scraping my neck a bit too much in places. I need to work on that. Overall it is a very nice BBS.

Gear
  • Feeling good about my shave gear.
  • Some great new fragrances for me. Luna Rossa Carbon is wonderful. Y Eau Fraische is quite pleasant and summery.
Other Thoughts
Well, tomorrow is the day.

I check-in at 5:00 AM. Surgery starts at 7:30 AM. I am expecting it to be a long day.

I am sure everything will go well. I am sure I will have less pain afterwards. I still wish I didn't have to do it. But, I am looking forward to an improvement in my quality of life.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Would love an update when you are in post op. Praying for ya brother.

Journal Entry #888
2022 Shaves (DE: 132, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 96)

09/02/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
none

09/03/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Eight and Bob the Original

09/04/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Etat Libre d'Orange Remarkable People

09/05/2022
Pre
Blade: Treet Platinum (4)
Fragrance: Versace Man Eau Fraische

Overview
New hips are ... new

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Had a really great shave today. BBS and zero irritation.

Gear
  • The Post-War Gillette Tech is still a favorite.
  • All the software is great. Especially the Strike Gold Shave soap.
  • ELDO Remarkable People is good, but not for me. I won't be picking up a bottle of it. Versace Man Eau Fraische is really, really good. I like it very much.
Other Thoughts
Surgery went well, but I woke up in the most pain I have ever been in. It took them quite a while in the recovery to get my pain down. After that they took me to another room. I met with doctors, a physical therapist, and an occupational therapist. After a couple more hours I got to go home.

I am moving better. I have a good amount of post-surgical pain. The painkillers are definitely helping with that. Now that I am walking in a more normal way there is some pain because I am now using muscles and such that have been underutilized for several years. It is going to be a painful recovery. We'll see how I feel in a couple of months.

Right now if feels like I just traded one pain for another. In the long-term it should be a net positive. however.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Journal Entry #889
2022 Shaves (DE: 133, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 100)

09/06/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Versace Signature Pour Homme

09/07/2022
Pre
Blade: Treet Platinum (5)
Fragrance:
Samy Andraus Fragrances Red Sapphire

09/08/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Absolu

09/09/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Mont Blanc Legend EdT

09/10/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Prada Luna Rossa Black

Overview
Too many skip days. I blame my hip.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Shaves have been great, when they happen.

Gear
  • Shave gear hasn't changed in a while. Getting boring.
  • The fragrances are fantastic! Especially Luna Rossa Black.
Other Thoughts
Took the week off of work to recover. I am glad that I did, but now I need to get back to work. I need a better schedule. Getting back to work will help with that.

About that recovery...
It has only been a week. I get that. But, so far I am not pleased with the outcome. This has been a very painful week. My hip hurts much less, but is not completely pain free. My right knee and lower right thigh are stiff, sore, and throbbing. Basically, all of the attachment points for anything above my right knee have been pulled or strained by the new orientation and motion of my hip. My knee hurts when I walk and it wakes me up a couple of times each night. Add to that the fact that I have to relearn how to walk correctly, without locking my hip and rolling my back to step forward with my right foot. I also have to relearn how to take an even step with each foot. The next two months are going to be long and PT is going to be painful. Oh, and I haven't mentioned, yet, the leg length discrepancy. If I lock my right knee, my left foot hovers just off of the floor. This isn't a huge problem, and it will be "fixed" when I get my other hip done. It is just one more thing and might make walking a tiny bit odd until then.
Maybe eventually I will feel differently.

Oh, for those of you who have never seen anything about total hip arthroplasty here is an animation of the operation for your enjoyment.

Journal Entry #890
2022 Shaves (DE: 134, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 101)

09/11/2022
Pre:
Hot shower/splash of cool water
Razor: Colonial Razors The General v1
Blade: Feather AC Pro (7)
Fragrance: Sarah Baker Perfumes Symmetry EdP

09/12/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Sean John 3AM

Overview
Back to work

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Yesterday's shave was a great BBS. I was smooth enough this morning to skip.

Gear
  • The General is a great shaver.
  • I still love the Strike Gold, but I am looking forward to something new.
  • The rest of the shave gear is still great.

Other Thoughts
Started back to work today. I will be working remotely for a while. I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but it was a decent day.

I can't wait until I can start driving again.

Just catching up. I hope at least now the pain is leading to less pain and healing.

Journal Entry #891
2022 Shaves (DE: 136, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 104)

09/13/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Hugo Boss Boss Bottled EdT

09/14/2022
Pre:
Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Shark SS (1)
Brush: RazoRock 24mm Plissoft synthetic w/barber handle
Fragrance: Versace L'Homme

09/15/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Etat Libre d'Orange Spice Must Flow

09/16/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Versace L'Homme

09/17/2022
Pre:
Blade: Shark SS (2)
Fragrance: Versace Blue Jeans for Men

Overview
It was kind of a long week.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
A could of great BBS shaves with a vintage razor. Very good stuff.

Gear
  • The Gillette Single Ring is an aggressive shaver, but a smooth and efficient one.
  • The other shave gear is great.
  • Versace L'Homme is absolutely fantastic!!! It is in the running for the best citrus fragrance that I have smelled.

Other Thoughts
It was a long but decent week at work. I hope that I am finally done with the documentation project that I have been working on. I really want to work on something else.

Today was a nice day. Last night felt like the first time since my surgery that I got decent sleep.

Journal Entry #892
2022 Shaves (DE: 137, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 106)

09/18/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Mercedes-Benz EdT by Mercedes-Benz

09/19/2022
Pre:
Blade
: Shark SS (3)
Fragrance:
Art of Shaving Vetiver/Citron Cologne Intense

09/20/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
YSL Y Eau Fraiche

Overview
Week 3 is off to a good start.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Yesterday's shave was really good, BBS and wonderful. It is probably time to change up the hardware.

Gear
  • The shaving hardware and software is all good.
  • The Mercedes-Benz and YSL fragrances are very good. The AoS fragrance is weak and rather boring.
Other Thoughts
I still have a ton of stiffness and soreness in my right thigh. It is going to take me a while to stretch everything out and get my full range of motion back. My hip no longer hurts, but I still have pain and problems. My hip got so f-ed up with arthritis than I changed the way I was walking. That caused muscle atrophy and tightened several ligaments and tendons. It is going to take lots of time to undo that damage. I can't even ride a bike right now. My right knee and thigh are so tight that I can't make a full rotation of the pedals. I will get past this, but it is going to be various amounts of torture to get there. We will see what happens at my physical therapy appointment today.

I am going to try driving this week. We will see how that goes too.

My right knee and thigh are so tight that I can't make a full rotation of the pedals. I will get past this, but it is going to be various amounts of torture to get there. We will see what happens at my physical therapy appointment today.
With hard work, you will get past it. A friend of mine elsewhere had a total hip in the spring, and he's walking trails now.

Journal Entry #892
2022 Shaves (DE: 137, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 106)

09/21/2022
Pre:
Razor: Rockwell 6C @R3
Blade: Zorrik Super Platinum (1)
Fragrance: Azzaro Pour Homme

Overview
I like overcast days.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
The shave was pretty killer. BBS in two passes with a bit of blade buffing. No razor burn to speak of, just good face feels.

Gear
  • Rockwell makes a fantastic razor. I still want to get a 6S, but that may not happen until my 6C wears out.
  • I am getting to the end of the Strike Gold Shave Old Hickory tub. We will see where I go from there. I have a bunch of partial tubs that I want to finish off.
  • I love the Aqua Velva ASB. It is fabulous on my skin.
  • Azzaro Pour Homme is soapy, spicy, and woody. It doesn't have much longevity on me, but I don't mind reapplying.
Other Thoughts
The week continues... Meh.

Journal Entry #893
2022 Shaves (DE: 138, SE: 18, Straight: 3, Cart: 0, Skipped: 107)

09/22/2022
Shave Skip Day
Fragrance:
Penhaligon's English Fern

09/23/2022
Pre:
Razor: Rockwell 6C @R3
Blade: Zorrik Super Platinum (2)
Fragrance: English Laundry Tahitian Waters

Overview
The week is ending well.

SOTD Pics
N/A

Shave Quality
Today's shave was great, much like my last shave. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this combination, except that I am getting bored with the Strike Gold Shave soap base. It performs fantastically, but it is very same-y after a while. I won't complain about the results.

Gear
  • Shave hardware is fabulous.
  • Shave software is equally fabulous.
  • Loving the fragrances. English Fern is an absolute classic and one of the best smells ever in fragrance. Tahitian Waters has longevity issues. It fades quickly, but it is a very pleasant smell.
Other Thoughts
I am not sure I will ever be done with documentation. It seems to keep coming back. But, this is the nature of dealing with government regulators. Next week should be documentation free, I think. Also, next week I am going to try to go back into the office at least one day. If that works well, I will be back one to two days a week permanently.

The hip continues to improve. The incision is healing. The various tight bits in my leg have good days and bad. Eventually I will be able to ride an exercise bike normally. I still have yet to find out if I can comfortably drive. That will come soon too. I still have a long way to go.

Other Thoughts
The week continues... Meh.
baby-hip-hip-hooray.gif

(too early?)

The hip continues to improve. The incision is healing. The various tight bits in my leg have good days and bad. Eventually I will be able to ride an exercise bike normally. I still have yet to find out if I can comfortably drive. That will come soon too. I still have a long way to go.
This sounds like great news, Doug. (y)

Back