The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DeepSea’s Journal

Thiers Issard 7/8
Graydog Badger
Proraso Green Preshave
WCS Grapefroot
Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm

7EBE69D6-A2B6-4194-8115-13AD3A4B3F93.jpeg

Good morning Cadre! It’s been a rather hectic couple months ending with us moving. Our 3rd place in 3 years. For someone who hates moving, I sure do it a lot. 😂 Most of my shaves lately have been pretty utilitarian with just 2 razors and 3017ing some soaps. I killed a puck of modern Williams, a tub of Zingari Man Soloist And am working my way through WCS Grapefroot. The Gillette post war Tech and become my go to DE and I am loving the V1 Colonial General with a SS handle. Last night was my first straight shave in a while and it went pretty well. Just a small weeper on my neck that sealed up with a splash of cold water. The edge needs a touch up, as do the rest of my straights. I haven’t had time to work on any honing but in the new place I have some room to set up my work bench and get back at it.

Great to see ya John! I feel your pain! We just moved too…yesterday and today, literally!
It’s so much fun, isn’t it? 😝

Make sure ya go to the Santa Barbara Zoo, it’s a pretty nice one. My daughter loves it there! There are TONS of fun things to do up there and also down here in Ventura county. Lemme know if ya got any questions.

I was a Coast Guard brat, so every couple of years we'd move. I grew tired of it, too. It has its good and bad points.
There are most definitely really good points to moving, it just get tiresome sometime.
Dang man, I figured you guys were stationed at one place for a few years.
I’m still working at the same place. Being a renter has its drawbacks though. The first place didn’t renew our lease so their son and his friends could have the place and we moved off of the base this time due to an ever growing list of little problems that kept adding up and not getting resolved. The best part is I’ve met most of our new neighbors already as opposed to the last two years where no one wanted to even make eye contact with anyone else. Is was like the twilight zone over there. Lol

Hello Cadre! Even though it’s been a while there is not much new. Just work, home, sleep, repeat with a few short work trips and that’s it. Almost done with my department’s busy season and I am looking forward to the fall when it slows down a bit.

I still haven’t unpacked my shave box from the move a few months back so I’ve been bouncing between my travel kit; DLC Lupo, razorock plisoft, razorock blue label soap and skin bracer and what was easily accessible to keep at home; Colonial General V1, Graydog w/ Maggard SHD, WCS Grapefroot and Nivea Deep Vanilla and Bourbon. I really need to break out my straights and get back at honing practice.

Great to see ya pop in John! Glad things are well.

Didn’t remember you have a v1 General! Very nice!

Good to see ya back online John!
Thanks Tim! It’s good to be back!
Great to see ya pop in John! Glad things are well.

Didn’t remember you have a v1 General! Very nice!
Thank you! The General V1 was my last purchase (I think 🤷‍♂️). It came with a black stainless handle that just works nicely.
Nice update.
Thanks Ken!
It’s great to hear from you John
Thanks Rich!

Just kicking back with a Whisky, watching some Star Trek TNG after a great day out with the family. We took a drive up the coast to go apple picking and to hang out on Pismo Beach. I’ve driven past Pismo many times but never stopped there until today. Such a beautiful place.
Love that cool, jagged, and angry coastline.

We took a drive up the coast to go apple picking and to hang out on Pismo Beach. I’ve driven past Pismo many times but never stopped there until today. Such a beautiful place.
In between junior and senior years of college, I interned at a company down in Temecula for the summer. It was the best summer of my life. One Saturday afternoon I split off from the other interns and drove up to Pismo for clam chowder at Splash Cafe and catch a sunset. Not sure what possessed 21 year old me to do that but it's one of the best memories I have of that glorious summer.

81A94D32-7DB4-49CA-A957-6E24A16FE14F.jpegT.I. 7/8
Graydog Brush
Ethos Lavender Supreme

First straight razor shave in quite a while. It gilt good to have an open blade in hand again. My last open blade shave was a bit rushed and I sliced the hell out of my cheek… 10 minutes before a staff meeting. I just sat there smiling with a blood soaked paper towel pressed against my face. Lol. Of course I didn’t have any alum or styptic with me. 🤦‍♂️ The looks on everyone’s face was worth it though. Anyway, tonight’s shave went great.

-John

Back