The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are testing on average 5k people a day lately which is awesome. We have started some antibody tests as well. Our overall positive percentage in the last two weeks has gone from 5.4% overall down to 4.23% I feel like that is meaningful.

Not a great idea. Scarves in general give no to little protection.
yeah i meant to include over your other mask....... sorry... I have some fitted and the folded mask I made with filter pouches but i thought of putting one of them on and then a shemagh over that... Double the protection :unsure:

My wife has two masks (not N95, homemade by a coworker) but pulls up her scarf when she goes into a shop. I'll try again to convince her to wear one of the masks instead, despite how she says it make her breathing "stuffy." I wear an old N95 that I've had for a few years for when I do any wood working and/or plaster sanding. The good news is that we only go out about once a week for groceries, and then only one of us goes in the shop.

Last edited:
My wife has two masks (not N95, homemade by a coworker) but pulls up her scarf when she goes into a shop. I'll try again to can convince her to wear one of the masks instead, despite how she says it make her breathing "stuffy." I wear an old N95 that I've had for a few years for when I do any wood working and/or plaster sanding. The good news is that we only go out about once a week for groceries, and then only one of us goes in the shop.

I do the same. I spray my N95 with Lysol when I get home. Figure it doesn't hurt.

Around here we have many people making and selling homemade masks with a filter material sewn in. I bought those for our daughters. I don't know what's available to the general public in other areas. I see tons of people around here with those N95 masks with the exhalation valve in them which makes them pointless. From this chart if I had to make something at home (I can't sew) I'd likely use a bandanna with Chemex coffee filters. You can google folding techniques that make an over-the-ear mask with no sewing.

1588020675895.png

Though, of note if you wear a padded bra with one cup over your mouth and nose, it's better protection than a scarf.

I made some like this to go ahead and have multiple quickly for my family and then used some of the other video tutorials to make additional mask... These mask can be made from start to finish in less than 5 minutes.. If you cant find elastic you can get the girl hair band and open 2 of them and then take a bead and feed the end of the 2 through a bead and sew it in and have an adjustable mask....WIN_20200427_18_54_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Well, our Stay at Home order has been extended to May 15th. Evidently we have some regions in Louisiana that are showing an increase of people testing positive for Coronavirus. I'm okay with this actually, but I know our Governor is taking a lot of heat for it...even when the President and Vice-President and a ton of experts around the country are praising him for this stand. I really think this extra two weeks will really improve things. Our Governor has changed a couple of things though.

Elective Medical Procedures can resume
Malls remain closed but mall stores can implement curb side deliveries
Restaurants can open their outside dining areas, but table service is not allowed
Public Facing Workers must wear masks

Our restrictions are actually less strict than many other states. A lot of our businesses are allowed to stay open as long as they adhere to the rules in place, ie, no more than 10 people at a time in the business, no close contact, etc.

These are yesterday's numbers for the state.

1588079432156.png

Well, our Stay at Home order has been extended to May 15th. Evidently we have some regions in Louisiana that are showing an increase of people testing positive for Coronavirus. I'm okay with this actually, but I know our Governor is taking a lot of heat for it...even when the President and Vice-President and a ton of experts around the country are praising him for this stand. I really think this extra two weeks will really improve things. Our Governor has changed a couple of things though.

Elective Medical Procedures can resume
Malls remain closed but mall stores can implement curb side deliveries
Restaurants can open their outside dining areas, but table service is not allowed
Public Facing Workers must wear masks

Our restrictions are actually less strict than many other states. A lot of our businesses are allowed to stay open as long as they adhere to the rules in place, ie, no more than 10 people at a time in the business, no close contact, etc.

These are yesterday's numbers for the state.

View attachment 22287
Our governor kept our "work or home " order in place still and extended the state of emergency.. He has eased a lot of restrictions though and reopened some businesses too. Our numbers keep going up Also.
5613 positive and 177 deaths state wide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back