The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bandanas apparently are of limited effectiveness. (Although they're definitely better than anything!). I saw a chart the other day that showed the relative effectiveness of various home materials and bandannas and scarves were at the bottom of the list. Here's a peer-reviewed article about the various effectivenesses of materials:

That's a lot of words there. But I am guessing that when they tested the effectiveness of the 100% cotton t-shirts they cut out a piece of the t-shirt and used a single layer of fabric to conduct their test. My bandana is folded over in such a way that I am breathing through at least 3 layers of fabric. I'm going to guess, athough I have not commissioned any tests to prove it, that my 3 layers of bandana will work just as well as a surgical mask.

That's a lot of words there. But I am guessing that when they tested the effectiveness of the 100% cotton t-shirts they cut out a piece of the t-shirt and used a single layer of fabric to conduct their test. My bandana is folded over in such a way that I am breathing through at least 3 layers of fabric. I'm going to guess, athough I have not commissioned any tests to prove it, that my 3 layers of bandana will work just as well as a surgical mask.
Ditto

One of the multiple test of bandanas someone took and stuck a womans new not used panty liner to the back side ( inside) where its not seen and it was very effective as a filter. I know it sounds weird but hey if it works and saves needed resources... Dollar tree sells packs of 22 or 40 for a dollar .....I made some of the single material accordion mask with filter slots and in the slot you stick one of those pads and its very effective and doesn't interfere with breathing.

Oh and another tip... If you cant find elastic go buy a pack of flat hair bands and get a pack of beads with a large opening and cut the hair bands open and slide the end of 2 hair bands through a bead and then sew the other end into the mask and you have adjustable ear loops.

2792 positive with 67 deaths in my state.. In my county, total positive cases are 139. Total deaths are 4 and rate per 100 k is 43.47.

One of the multiple test of bandanas someone took and stuck a womans new not used panty liner to the back side ( inside) where its not seen and it was very effective as a filter. I know it sounds weird but hey if it works and saves needed resources... Dollar tree sells packs of 22 or 40 for a dollar .....I made some of the single material accordion mask with filter slots and in the slot you stick one of those pads and its very effective and doesn't interfere with breathing.
oh and you CAN use whatever type of filter you want, you don't have to use what i mentioned as a filter material...

I have also heard of people cutting up furnace filters. I think merv13 keep viruses
out.

I have also heard of people cutting up furnace filters. I think merv13 keep viruses
out.
yes you can use air filters and you can get HEPA vacuum cleaner bags and cut the bags up and use the pieces most say that you get on average of 20 + or 40+ filters per vacuum bag.

Today's numbers 1,452 cases Hospitalized 246. 228 currently hospitalized. 395 recovered. Deaths 83 now. 0 in Whitley County officially where I live but I'm certain there are cases.........

Be careful with both the vacuum cleaner bags and the furnace filters. Some of them have fiberglass or other similar fibers that are not good to inhale.

Bob
yes use caution and find the right ones that dont contain any negative stuff if you are gonna use the filters or bags.

yes use caution and find the right ones that dont contain any negative stuff if you are gonna use the filters or bags.
oh an update hepa filter vacuum bags do not now or ever have contained fiberglass... hvac air filters i do not know about but the vacuum bags do not........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back