The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well #s have been updated. I think % speak better than #s so:

Positive: 5.16%
Hospital: 8.51%
Death: 0.76%
Recovered: 9.23% (3 week lag)

They said today in the press conference they are expanding testing because our testing is down. Now you just need one of these symptoms:
Cough
Fever
Shortness of breath or breathing problems
Muschle Aches
Loss of taste
Loss of smell
Sore throat

They are begging poeple that even if the symptom is light to go get tested.

I was curious what percentage of the population were being counted as having contracted the virus. Number of deaths is what everyone is looking at but I'm more interested in the spread of the virus within any given population. This is what I came up with for certain countries but not China. I don't believe the numbers coming from China are even close to being accurate. I'm not saying any numbers are but I believe China is probably undercounting their cases by far more than anywhere else.

Country Population # of Cases %

US 331 Million 583,400 0.1763%
Iran 84 Million 73,300 0.0873% I figure Iran has severely undercounted their cases as well
Italy 60.5 Million 159,500 0.2636%
S. Korea 51.27 Million 10,537 0.0206% I believe this number since they have done more testing than any other country
Spain 46.75 Million 169,628 0.3628%
France 65.275 Million 139,780 0.2141%
Germany 83.784 Million 128,200 0.1330%
UK 67.9 Million 88,621 0.1365%

The numbers in the US appear to be reasonable, if they are accurate but one has to wonder if they could be much lower had the current administration taken the risk seriously during the two months it took to reach the US. I suspect that if it had been taken seriously, could it have looked more like South Korea. We'll never know.

our governor hasn't had his daily conference yet because he had to visit the F3 tornado areas first ( for those that don't know the winds were at least 160 mph ) and did a lot of damage...

well we got our numbers...3,439 positive and 87 deaths in our state ...

In my county, total positive cases are 188. Total deaths are 4 and rate per 100k is 58.79

proj-04132020.pngproj-04132020-mb.pngTable-1-full.pngTable-2-full.png

I was curious what percentage of the population were being counted as having contracted the virus. Number of deaths is what everyone is looking at but I'm more interested in the spread of the virus within any given population. This is what I came up with for certain countries but not China. I don't believe the numbers coming from China are even close to being accurate. I'm not saying any numbers are but I believe China is probably undercounting their cases by far more than anywhere else.

Country Population # of Cases %

US 331 Million 583,400 0.1763%
Iran 84 Million 73,300 0.0873% I figure Iran has severely undercounted their cases as well
Italy 60.5 Million 159,500 0.2636%
S. Korea 51.27 Million 10,537 0.0206% I believe this number since they have done more testing than any other country
Spain 46.75 Million 169,628 0.3628%
France 65.275 Million 139,780 0.2141%
Germany 83.784 Million 128,200 0.1330%
UK 67.9 Million 88,621 0.1365%

The numbers in the US appear to be reasonable, if they are accurate but one has to wonder if they could be much lower had the current administration taken the risk seriously during the two months it took to reach the US. I suspect that if it had been taken seriously, could it have looked more like South Korea. We'll never know.

I don’t think we have a clue what the infection rate is. Testing will only catch active infections and that’s inconsistent across the board. At some point, someone will do a survey for circulating antibodies to see who had it, and I think the percentage of positives will dwarf the number of active infection positives. Absolutely dwarf it.

I don’t think we have a clue what the infection rate is. Testing will only catch active infections and that’s inconsistent across the board. At some point, someone will do a survey for circulating antibodies to see who had it, and I think the percentage of positives will dwarf the number of active infection positives. Absolutely dwarf it.
I completely agree. I lost my sense of smell and taste three weeks ago but never had a fever or dry cough. Smell and taste returned after about 9 days and I've been symptom free since. I'm assuming I may have been infected - I've never completely lost my smell before - but I haven't been tested. (Nor could I have easily found a place to test, but that's another issue.) I'm waiting for the antibody test so that I can (hopefully) confirm my immunity.

I completely agree. I lost my sense of smell and taste three weeks ago but never had a fever or dry cough. Smell and taste returned after about 9 days and I've been symptom free since. I'm assuming I may have been infected - I've never completely lost my smell before - but I haven't been tested. (Nor could I have easily found a place to test, but that's another issue.) I'm waiting for the antibody test so that I can (hopefully) confirm my immunity.
So glad to hear you recovered! And I hope you get good results from the antibody test.

Glad you feel better.

Back in late Jamuary the whole family was sick. Sore throat, cough and slight fever. This was the worse cold I have had. Lasted about 2 weeks. I had to sleep sucking a cough drop just to fall asleep. I stayed in bed for 3 days. Now I'm thinking maybe we got hit.
I wonder if the antibodies test will be widely available?

I felt like I was drowning one evening. No fever, but a whooping cough for two weeks. Never experienced anything like it before. Sometime during week two it started moving toward my head. Tremendous pressure until it started draining. And oh man did it drain. Got the wife sick but it was mild.

I felt like I was drowning one evening. No fever, but a whooping cough for two weeks. Never experienced anything like it before. Sometime during week two it started moving toward my head. Tremendous pressure until it started draining. And oh man did it drain. Got the wife sick but it was mild.
Hope you're both feeling better.

Back in late Jamuary the whole family was sick. Sore throat, cough and slight fever. This was the worse cold I have had. Lasted about 2 weeks. I had to sleep sucking a cough drop just to fall asleep. I stayed in bed for 3 days. Now I'm thinking maybe we got hit.
I wonder if the antibodies test will be widely available?

That is my experience. My most dreadful cold.

Trust me, I get it. I don't think one single statistic is being properly tracked. Death rates. Infection rates. Recovery rates (I don't even understand this number). But since all the other numbers are just as inaccuarte, there shouldn't me a problem with inaccurately tracking another statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back