The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case numbers are going to go through the roof with increased testing now. Horrible to see so many people with it, but if the numbers are what it takes to make people take it seriously, then so be it.

Where's the blocking idiots on Facebook phase?

Seriously, that is one of the better, more transparent statements of I've seen. People need to know this is early days in the war against COVID-19.

It's been very stressful days here, my wife had to go out to the construction site today, public transportation to the next city over.
Then come home and had to lay people off. The whole while knowing her time is coming soon. She's in the hotel business. Managing building a new hotel that she is/was to be the GM for.

This quarantine is no holiday.

298 cases, and just one death
163 cases, that's 39 new since yesterday, Still just 4 deaths I believe.
This is really interesting and here is why. Taking your the numbers you guys provided consider this:

KY - 163 Positive Cases; 4 Deaths - Population of KY: 4.468 Million

UT - 298 Cases; 1 Death - Population of Utah: 3.161 Million

LA - 1,388 Cases; 46 Deaths - Population of Louisiana: 4.66 Million

I know KY has a smaller population than Utah or Louisiana...but I wanted to show the differences in state. Louisiana has an astronomical number of positive cases.

This is really interesting and here is why. Taking your the numbers you guys provided consider this:

KY - 163 Positive Cases; 4 Deaths - Population of KY: 4.468 Million

UT - 298 Cases; 1 Death - Population of Utah: 3.161 Million

LA - 1,388 Cases; 46 Deaths - Population of Louisiana: 4.66 Million

I know KY has a smaller population than Utah or Louisiana...but I wanted to show the differences in state. Louisiana has an astronomical number of positive cases.

Louisiana has also administered more tests. Utah is getting there though. Apparently we have a back log, but as of yesterday we are administering 3000 tests a day. Should be to 5000 soon.

Also I really hate to say this but Mardi gras probably didn't help. Plus a warmer climate this time of year probably means more travel and people gathering took place.

Which is why outside of Salt Lake City the hardest hit area is Summit county. Guess what's in that county? (Don a county is like a parish) All of our ski resorts! And where our film festivals are!

Louisiana has also administered more tests. Utah is getting there though. Apparently we have a back log, but as of yesterday we are administering 3000 tests a day. Should be to 5000 soon.
3000 tests a day? That's a lot! I think Utah's statistics are going to be interesting to look at. I think Louisiana was just, and maybe still administering several hundred a day.

There's probably over 35,000 real cases in LA with that number of deaths. Grimly, the number of deaths is one of the better ways to estimate actual cases vs tested.

Also I really hate to say this but Mardi gras probably didn't help. Plus a warmer climate this time of year probably means more travel and people gathering took place.

Which is why outside of Salt Lake City the hardest hit area is Summit county. Guess what's in that county? (Don a county is like a parish) All of our ski resorts! And where our film festivals are!
Mardi Gras didn't help! Interesting tidbit:

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Governor John Bel Edwards believes that Mardi Gras had a lot to do with the number of coronavirus cases in the New Orleans metro area.

The first confirmed case in the state of Louisiana who tested positive did so 13 days after Fat Tuesday and did so in the New Orleans area, and if you look at how long it takes from exposure and people becoming symptomatic that's the period of time that you are talking about between two and three weeks.

“I happen to believe that people coming from all over the country and over the world that a fair amount of virus was seeded if that's the word,” Edwards said.

He said the impact of self-isolating will likely take weeks to show up.

With an incubation period of up to two weeks for the virus, many may spread it before they feel symptoms.

There is a lot of international travel for Mardi Gras...plus people all over the country come to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. And Orleans Parish and Neighboring Jefferson Parish have the highest number of confirmed cases and the bulk of deaths related to the virus.

In a very interesting side note...my brother, who works for an Anheuser-Busch distributor in our area. They distribute a few hundred brands of beer, wine, spirits, and other non-alcoholic beverages (oddly enough they distribute water to all the schools in the area). Anyway, my brother is the fleet manager and is also in charge of loading the trucks and keeping track of what comes in and out of the warehouse.

Anyway...he told me this past week...despite all the bars have stopped their orders of kegs and cases of beer...his distributor has delivered three times as much beer to grocery stores than the average week. He said that it was even significantly more than they delivered during Mardi Gras.

So...while people are hoarding toilet paper...it seems that they are also drinking a lot of beer! 🍺🍻🤪
My son is in the same occupation. He says every single day is like prepping for the days leading up to and just following July Fourth.

It has just occurred to me as I type this: are all these hosers drinking alone, and staying at home, or are there block parties going on? The nurse in me wants to throttle these knuckle heads!

My son is in the same occupation. He says every single day is like prepping for the days leading up to and just following July Fourth.

It has just occurred to me as I type this: are all these hosers drinking alone, and staying at home, or are there block parties going on? The nurse in me wants to throttle these knuckle heads!
I think it might be a little bit of both. But no matter the climate, condition, or the economy, the one thing that I know is that Booze Sells.

Louisiana's Update just came out. Yup...testing is ramped up and we are getting a lot of those results back.

1585157148755.png

The parish I live in (Livingston, which neighbors East Baton Rouge Parish - Baton Rouge) is way down the list. At least for now...

1585157403059.png

Our update just came out. They are saying the increase in tests should start hitting in next couple of days

Here is what I keep in an excel sheet to help paint the picture

cvirus.png

From all appearances, it looks like Facebook made the donation first. They might have seen what was coming. But I'll give them a little credit.

The President has actually been talking about releasing ventilators, protective wear, and other things from the federal reserve for several days if not a week now. I'll admit that some days there isn't a lot of new updates that pertain to me. But there are updates. I have been enjoying listening to Deborah Birx, Anthony Fauci, Seema Verma, Jerome Adams, and Brett Giroir, as these people have been giving really useful information!

What I find really interesting is that The President has enacted the Defense Production Act and very few people have actually asked him questions about it. There have been some. But not a lot. This is something that has not been enacted all that much. In 2001 for California Energry, the Iraq War, and in 2017 for the Puerto Rico Hurricane. In all three events the Defense Production Act was limited in scope (and yes even in the Iraq War it was only used for production of weapons for certain militarizes). I am not certain it has been used on such a scale since, or even including, it's inception in 1950.

Sorry...got caught in a tangent. 🤪

I too enjoy hearing people like Anthony Fauci and other health experts speak because most of them actually have something legitimate to say. Unfortunately Fauci was not part of the press conference I was referring to. And what we've heard from Fauci has been contradiction of what Trump has said. Frankly, I will listen to Fauci. I have no interest in hearing anything Trump has to say. That's just me. If there was anything useful that came out of his mouth, I'd be all ears.

You didn't get caught in a tangent. Your post was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back