The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Back from a little spring break vacation with the family. Went up to Manhattan for a few days. It was the first NYC visit for my 9 year old daughter; she loved it! Out of all the stuff we did, the two things she enjoyed most were the carriage ride through Central Park, and seeing the play, "Wicked". We had a great time!

As for today's shave, another Merkur Progress affair, and it continues to hold steady as my go-to razor these days. The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac DO1, 2-band silvertip whipped up a stellar Mystic Water Lavender lather for a very enjoyable shave. (BTW, I think that the MW Lavender is the best lavender scented soap I've ever used - it's wonderful). Finished up with some Speick aftershave splash, followed by Lalique Encre Noire Sport EdT. Then I went bowling!

AKPmsqx.jpg

Sounds like a really nice trip with the daughter! And of course, who wouldn't love a horse and buggy ride through Central Park! I have been enjoying the shaves with my Progress as well! Oh...and great Pic Chris!

I like the Encre Nior myself. When I first encountered it I wasn’t too sure about it, it was much more bold than I had ever encountered. ...but I kept going back to the scent in my mind so one day I pulled the trigger. Lovely to say the least.

Thanks, Gents!

I like the Encre Nior myself. When I first encountered it I wasn’t too sure about it, it was much more bold than I had ever encountered. ...but I kept going back to the scent in my mind so one day I pulled the trigger. Lovely to say the least.
Yeh, it's a different vetiver scent for sure.

Tuesday's Shave:

Just got back in town. What a week. Vaca in NYC, then a 4-day work trip. However, one of my layovers was totally worthwhile and productive. While in Toronto, I decided to visit the Guerlain Boutique. I think that this is the only Guerlain exclusive shop in North America that has the entire Guerlain inventory on hand. I had a very enjoyable time sampling various fragrances, to say the least! The one that I was looking forward to trying the most was, "Derby"; however, it just didn't work well on my skin, so I did not purchase a bottle. However, I did get two bottles of other fragrances. First, a 50ml bottle of L'Instant de Guerlain (LIDG) in EdP concentration. I have the EdT, and is one of my favorite fragrances, and this EdP is as good, if not better. It's awesome juice! Secondly, I got a 100ml bottle of some really old school juice (and when I say, "old school", I'm talking originating from 1904), "Mouchoir de Monsieur". Oh yeh! (This is the modern version, of course).

Meanwhile, today's shave......I broke out the Merkur 34 (w/Feather), the Simpson CH2 ("best"), Mike's "Rose, Patchouli, Cedarwood", for a wonderful shave. Finished off with Guerlain "Habit Rouge" aftershave and EdT. My goodness, how I dig the Habit Rouge. This is a classic, of course, that debuted in 1965. I had sampled this a while back, but didn't care for it then. Fast forward to a few months ago, where I sampled it again, and wammo! Now, I totally dig it! This, to me, is definitely for the older crowd, IMHO. I'd be shocked if anyone under 30 would like this. (I could be wrong, of course!).

b3wQvzx.jpg

I see you are now fully engulfed in the frag rabbit hole. I visited the Guerlain shop in Las Vegas (Belagio I think) and was impressed by the quantity of options. I did try a few samples but couldn't tell you what they were. My wife would have Ok's the purchase had I found one I liked but the sales goof simply wasn't helpful. They also had a Hermes shop but I only poked my head in because it was too overwhelming. That one had more clothing and bags than frags.

Good to hear you have been enjoying yourself of late.

Great shave and set up, Chris. Guerlain is one of my favorite frag houses. They have so many outstanding fragrances. Most of the ones I've smelled are for the more mature crowd, but I count that as a plus, being a man of a certain age lol.

Back