The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

A month of MdC will mean great a month of great shaves
Thanks, Chad. So far, 10 in a row.

I dunno, sounds like you need to retire to me.
Yes indeed. I like the way you think! Wish I could.
1f60e.png

Thanks for stopping in Chris!
Thanks, Chris.

Been keeping up with the journal, Chris, and enjoy the updates. Truly understand where you're coming from as far as updates. Hope life gets back in line for you soon, and less crunched.
Thanks, Josh. Nice to hear from you.

My activities on the journal has decreased but there are definitely other threads that I chime in on and it keeps me connected.
1f642.png
Roger that, Tom.

I've had Fougere Royale on my radar for some time. Like many frags, it has ended up on the back burner, but I'll end up with a bottle eventually. I definitely understand not being able to post as much, and hope all is going well.
Thanks, Eric. And you'd totally dig the Fougere Royale. To me, it's way better than Pen's English Fern.

I know what you mean about not having the time. I had to disappear for a while back in the summer to focus on some real world stuff. But I agree with NurseDave, sounds like you just need to retire
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
Thanks, Steve. And yes, if I never see another hotel room again, it'll be too soon!

Completely understand the “life stuff”, but priorities are what they are. Check in when you can.

On another note, I got those samples in today. They smell great, thank you!
Thanks, Tim. And my pleasure.

We'll be here Chris. Check in when you can.
Thanks, Dave. And wilco.

Just an FYI, over in the BST, I posted some razors I'm starting to cull from the herd: one straight, and some DE's.
1f60e.png

Catching up with an end-of-the-month check-in.

First, many thanks for the responses to the BST sale that I recently had. I shall be offering some more items soon once I get them photographed.

Secondly, I did, in fact, accomplish my soap mission for January - I used MdC soaps for every shave - no others. Yepper, a full 31 shaves with MdC. I did, of course, alternate with the different scents, just for some variety. So it was Fougere, Vetyver, Rose, Agrumes, and the original (which is almost all used up - finally, after about 3 years!). After this month, I feel that I can give a "valid" assessment on the overall performance of MdC, and that for me, it's the highest Tier 1. On Chad's scale, I rank it Tier 1/Box 2, for use with a DE (which is what I used almost exclusively this month). It drops a box or two with a traditional straight, but it's still awesome - I love 'em! So this is how I closed out the month of January....

SR Shave #654:

I went with the Fougere, which is what I started the month out with. And I decided to use a traditional straight, the Kropp full hollow. The edge on this razor is still most excellent, and a 2-passer produced a very nice DFS. The Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel aftershave mix gave me no complaints whatsoever.

Additionally, I incorporated a couple of new items that I recently acquired; a new brush, and a new EdP. The brush is a Thater 2-band silvertip that is flat-out-AWESOME! This is advertised at 26/52, but mine specs out at about 27/51. It's perfect! This is already one of my favorite badger knots, and in time, might just be the top dog! And the fragrance is a classic: Chanel's "Pour Monsieur". This is a classic for a reason, and has been available since it's debut in 1955 (the EdT). This EdP version appeared in 2016, and it's still retains the beauty of the original, just a bit stronger. It's not a beast-mode fragrance my any means, but that's OK for this one. It's a mature, sophisticated, masculine scent that is absolutely perfect! I totally dig it!!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Hoping all is well with you Chris! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Know you are super busy...but just wanted to see how things are!

Just a quick entry to say that I'm still kickin'. Been using the Merkur Progress for most of my shaves. I get around to a straight every now and then.

Haven't been acquiring any new shave gear, per se; although I have been increasing my fragrance collection, since I don't really use scented aftershaves anymore (I stick with Fine Snake Bite, Witch Hazel, and Sampson's unscented balm, for 90% of my post shave use), and much prefer using an EdT or EdP to follow up. Yeh, kind of found another rabbit hole - LOL. As a matter of fact, I've added several full bottles over the past few months:

Dior: The entire Dior Homme line, to include Dior Homme Parfum, which is not sold Stateside anymore, although you can find it in airport duty free stores; Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 edition (which is AWESOME) and the 2017 edition (which I'll be selling)
Chanel: Egoiste EdT (the original, not the Platinum); Pour Monsier EdP; Allure Homme EdT
Guerlain: Habit Rouge EdT; Habit Rouge Dress Code EdP
Cartier: Declaration d'un Soir EdT
Bulgari: Aqua Amara EdT
Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
Givenchy: vintage Givenchy Gentleman EdT

Anyway, in terms of shave gear, I've arrived at the point where I know what I like and intend on using a much narrower array of stuff. Therefore, I shall be conducting a MASSIVE SHAVE DEN CLEARANCE FIRE SALE that is going to initially be offered at "friend" prices to the cadre. I've finally gotten items photographed, but I've got to get them organized with prices, and then I'll be posting a lot of items on the BST that will be available for a limited time. Any remaining items, I'll use alternative avenues at "market price". Some of the items for sale include:

Straight Razors (Robert Williams, Bengals, Dorko 576, Revisor.....)
Strops (Westholme, Tony Miller.....)
Hones (Arks, Welsh, Coticule)
Brushes (Paladin, Rudy Vey, Simpson....)
Aftershaves and Fragrances - many!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Wonderful to hear from you. Your den clearing fire sale should be amazing, your gear has always been top notch.

Good to hear from you Chris, and hope you can stop by more..... Will get the wallet Ready

CHRIS!!! Great to hear from you! Thanks for the update. I've been using the Progress also lately and I am the belief that it is a mighty nice shaver!

Thanks for checking in Chris! Hope all is well!

What a deep and wallet emptying rabbit hole you fallen into now! Lol. Nice selection of frags though, for sure.

Many thanks, Gents! And since I was snapping pics for my upcoming den clearing fire sale, I figured I'd go ahead and take a shot of my set up for today:

rwf3MYP.jpg

Merkur Progress w/Persona Red//Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synth//Stirling Electric Sheep//Sampson's unscented balm//Dior Eau Sauvage (2012)

I could go with this same set up for the rest of my days if push came to shove - totally diggin' it!

Back