The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Now for something completely different: My wife and I went and saw a movie last night....."Aquaman". I have to say, this is one of those times that makes going to the movie theatre totally worthwhile! My goodness, what a fun movie to see! It was AWESOME!!!

A rare moment indeed! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Great Movie. And definitely Epic in scale that should be seen in the theater!

I didn’t realize how far behind I was. Great reads and pics! Also being home for the holidays is awesome!

Good stuff Chris! Glad you and the wife had a good time. I’m still iffy on the whole Aquaman thing. He was always one of least favorites in the comics lol.

Yeah. I guess Jason Mamoa will do that for any character
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

He is really good!

Many thanks, Gents. Back in town....for at least a day. Soaps used whilst on the road (samples).....

Nanny's Silly "Signature" English Rose: The scent of this sample is barely detectable - a lowly 0.5/5 on the SOS scale. And the rose scent that's there, from what I can detect, is nice enough I suppose, but doesn't "wow" me - it would be more for the ladies. Performance was good, though.

Wholly Kaw "Merchant of Tobacco": OK, now this is an interesting scent! But why the word, "Tobacco", is in the name of this one is a complete and utter mystery to me because I can detect no tobacco note at all (in any of the various ways tobacco can smell) - none, zero, nada, nil. This is actually a gourmand scented soap in that it smells like chocolate coffee! Yep, totally. Normally, even though I love to drink and smell coffee, and am admittedly a "coffee snob", I've never cared for that scent profile in a shaving soap. However, I might could be persuaded to start liking it with this one. And the performance is "elite" status all the way. So if you like chocolate and coffee scented soaps, then is definitely for you!

Now, the back home shave was with a couple of new products: CBL "Gardenia" soap, and Nivea 2 in 1 aftershave, featured in my
SOTD pic:

The new-to-me Schick Injector provided a nice shave, and the Doug Korn w/Ubersoft synthetic performed admirably, as per usual.

The soap: this is a floral scented soap at the extreme - a solid 4/5 on the SOS scale, perhaps even 5/5. It's a good effort at replicating a gardenia flower, and I thank CBL for putting in the energy to make this one. I had done some test lathers when I first got it, and had mentioned to Chris that the scent really straddles the line between masculine and feminine; however, after finally using it, I can say that this one definitely favors the wives. I'm going to wait till spring/summer before using this one again before making a final judgement on the scent.

The aftershave: after having read folk digging this Nivea 2 in 1 aftershave as of late, I thought I should try it. It's pretty good juice. I want to use it more before giving further impressions.

I love a lot of floral scents, including Gardenia. Orange blossom might be my favorite with jasmine and honeysuckle a VERY close second. Will look forward to your thoughts on the scent when it warms up.

Happy New Year to you and your family Chris!

I love a lot of floral scents, including Gardenia. Orange blossom might be my favorite with jasmine and honeysuckle a VERY close second. Will look forward to your thoughts on the scent when it warms up.

Happy New Year to you and your family Chris!
Thanks, Don. The Orange Blossom does sound good.....Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Nice shave and great SOTD pic, as always.
Thanks, Tim.

New Year's Eve shave:

The last shave for 2018 was earlier this morning, and I decided to go with the new shaving cream from Fine Accoutrements - the American Blend scent (my favorite Fine scent), and of course, American Blend aftershave and EdT. Here was the set-up......
First off, the SOS of this shaving cream is AWESOME! It's a solid 4/5, perhaps even 5/5 - love it! I'm very happy about this since the initial hard puck of American Blend that I once had was a woeful 1/5 on the SOS scale. So needless to say, I totally dig the scent and the SOS of this shaving cream.

Performance-wise, I'll wait till I use it several more times to give an actual review. My initial impression is that it's good shaving cream. I want to use a synthetic brush with it the next few times to see how it does, as well as take it with me on the road to see how it works with different water types. With the Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest, the lather for the first pass was a tad bit over-hydrated, which is not uncommon for me initially with creams due to the fact that I use soaps 99% of the time. For the second pass, I started over and did not use much water. This was MUCH better. One thing I also want to mention is the post shave moisturizing aspect of this - it's stellar! My goodness, the ole mug liked this very much.

All in all, a very enjoyable shave. Two passes with the Merkur Progress (w/Persona Red) was perfect for today. Finished up with the American Blend a/s and EdT and it was an excellent way to close out the year.

Happy New Year to everyone. I actually will be heading out tomorrow afternoon on a rather crummy trip, but at least I've got a job, so can't really complain too much.
1f60e.png

Very nice end-of-year shave, Chris. I love the scent of AB, and still need to pick up a bottle of the EDT. The cream sounds intriguing.

Nice end of year shave Chris! Happy new year to you and your family! Hope the trip isn’t too bad. It could be worse, you could be doing it for free haha!

Nice close to the year Chris. Safe travels
Thanks, Dave.

Very nice end-of-year shave, Chris. I love the scent of AB, and still need to pick up a bottle of the EDT. The cream sounds intriguing.
Thanks, Eric. The scent of the shaving cream is fantastic!

Nice end of year shave Chris! Happy new year to you and your family! Hope the trip isn’t too bad. It could be worse, you could be doing it for free haha!
Thanks, Don. And no, I wouldn't be doing it for free - LOL!

Good to hear that the Fine cream performs decently. Have a great ring in of the New Year!
Thanks, Chris.

I didn't even know that Fine made a cream.

Happy new year!
I didn't either - until I saw Chad mentioning it the other week!
1f60e.png

Happy New Year!

I decided to start 2019 with some "A-List" products.

The soap was Martin de Candre, "Fougere".

My goodness, how I love this MdC Fougere! This is one of only a handful of lightly scented soaps that I totally dig!! The scent is absolutely sublime. And the performance is top-notch for me. Love it. I plan to use only MdC soaps this entire month (even whilst on the road).
The razor (and blade) was the Gillette British Aristocrat #16 w/Persona Red. Everyone knows how much I dig this razor, and it was magnificent this morning.

The brush was the monster Rudy Vey Shavemac 3-band silvertip @ 32/64. This brush is total luxury!

The aftershave was vintage Avon Tai Winds. This is perfect with the MdC Fougere and also perfect for this warm, humid day.

I'll be heading out to work in a couple of hours. Fortunately, I got my collard greens and black eyed peas cooked last night, so I'll have them for an early lunch. Can't miss New Year's Day without them!

Back