The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Thursday's shave:

Whereas yesterday's shave was, "utilitarian", today's was the complete opposite. Oh, what a marvelous, indulgent shave this morning!

You see, I decided to re-visit a soap. When I had it previously, the scent just didn't "wow" me, and I ended up unloading it. But I decided to get it again, just for kicks, and I must say that my opinion of the scent has changed to the favorable now. I'm talking about MdC's "Rose". The first jar I had, the rose scent didn't seem natural to me and underwhelmed me. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and I saw that the labeling had changed on the Rose and Vetyver. Not knowing if the formula changed or not, I threw caution to the wind and ordered the rose again. I received it quickly (about 10 days from France).

OK, so the performance is still excellent and I don't think there was a formula change, just the label. The scent, however, has grown on me. While I still don't consider it a "natural" rose scent, I do totally dig it now. As a matter of fact, the scent is rather intoxicating, to use a word out of context, but I can't think of another one to explain how much I'm drawn to it. It's sublime. Love it! Now, the label, that's another story. I'm not really a fan of it, but no matter. This one's a keeper!

Oh, the shave itself....wonderful! The British Aristocrat #16 w/Persona Red was on point and perfect! BTW, the Persona Red blade really does "like" this #16 and the Merkur Progress - it's the perfect blade for those two razors. And the Tuxedo synthetic whipped up an excellent lather. I totally dig the Tuxedo bulb knot. I actually like it better than the Tuxedo fan. But both are stellar.

Finished up with some Fine Snake Bite + Witch Hazel, then Penhaligon's The Hammam Bouquet EdT. Oh yeah! Rocking the Hammam. What a dynamite frag to pair with the soap!

Great shave good sir! The Brit style Aristocrat is probably my favorite looking vintage Gillette.

Are you getting some time off for the holiday?

That is a purdy Razor Chris! Haven’t tried any rose scents yet, not sure they be in my wheelhouse. I know who to go to for recommendations if I ever want to try one though lol.

The new labeling sure is classy though!
I'll agree about "classy" - just wish they had chosen a color other than pink.

Very nice shave!
Thanks, Tim.

Love the Torrey from a few days ago, and love the #16. Both gorgeous tools.
Thanks, Randall.

Great shave good sir! The Brit style Aristocrat is probably my favorite looking vintage Gillette.

Are you getting some time off for the holiday?
Thanks, Chris. And I gotta agree with your assessment of the British Aristocrat......And I'll have Christmas Day and the 26th off.

That is a purdy Razor Chris! Haven’t tried any rose scents yet, not sure they be in my wheelhouse. I know who to go to for recommendations if I ever want to try one though lol.
Thanks, Steve. And yeh, I've tried a few.
1f60e.png

Friday's shave:

Another soap re-visit, and another wonderful shave!

It's been a long while since I used Shannon's Soaps, so I decided to try one again. Now this is not a new artisan to me, as I began using these soaps when they first started. As a matter of fact, I think I was the first to review them on the old site. And I've noticed that they've gone through some container and label changes since then. To date, I've used 13 different scents from them; and by far, the one I used today is my absolute favorite, hands down. As a matter of fact, Shannon's Soaps used to be one of my favorite soaps, as the performance is totally elite status. On Chad's scale, it rates Tier 1/Box 1. And one of the stand out features is the post shave moisturizing - it's second to none.

So why has it been so long since I've used this soap if it's so great? Excellent question. The answer is that I found it to have a short shelf life in terms of scent. After about 6 months or so, the scent kind of went "off", or at least diminished in SOS significantly. And I like soaps that have a strong SOS. So that's the only reason. But I wanted to try them again, and so here we are.....with Shannon's Soaps "Woodlands".

The scent of this soap is to die for! It's a completely different take on vetiver than most of the other vetiver scented soaps that are available. It has no smokiness at all - not a trace, not even a nuance. It's a "softer" kind of vetiver and quite "green". I totally dig it, and am glad that the scent has not changed since they started making this particular soap. Love it! And there's no doubt as to what frag to pair this with.....Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. My goodness, what great start to the day!

Oh, BTW, I had to use the British Arisctocrat #16 again. Wonderful. And the Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top was marvelous.

Now, as to the photo, I could not decided which to use, so I'm posting both. Any input would be greatly appreciated since I have not posted one to the SOTD yet.

I like Shannon's soaps. But I tend to always overlook them for some reason. And I don't know why.

Bout to use CBL 50 Shades of Vetiver myself (Tom Ford inspired)! I think I give slight edge to the colored photo. It’s still muted enough, but the metal pops a bit more.

Can't wait for a Shannon's soap inbound that will be my first. Nice shave Chris. I like the black and white too but just prefer the color

I like Shannon's soaps. But I tend to always overlook them for some reason. And I don't know why.
I know what you mean, Chad. We're just inundated with a plethora of exceptional soaps these days.

Bout to use CBL 50 Shades of Vetiver myself (Tom Ford inspired)! I think I give slight edge to the colored photo. It’s still muted enough, but the metal pops a bit more.
Looking forward to your review of the CBL soap....and thanks for the photo input.

Can't wait for a Shannon's soap inbound that will be my first. Nice shave Chris. I like the black and white too but just prefer the color
Which Shannon's did you get?....And thanks for the photo input. I've gone with the color based on you and Chris' recommendation.

I'm going to have to go with the B&W on this one. I like the handle against the black tub better and the bottle and liquid blend into the rest of the scene better than in the colour on the yellow/tan elements on either side can split the attention.

As you're not talking about leaving for work again, I'm hoping you were able to swing not only Christmas with the family, but also a bunch of days leading up to it.

I'm going to have to go with the B&W on this one. I like the handle against the black tub better and the bottle and liquid blend into the rest of the scene better than in the colour on the yellow/tan elements on either side can split the attention.

As you're not talking about leaving for work again, I'm hoping you were able to swing not only Christmas with the family, but also a bunch of days leading up to it.
While your photo explanation was appreciated YOU LOSE Chris and I out voted you

Actually, I'm heading out the door in just a few minutes. Back the afternoon of Christmas Eve, and will have Christmas Day and the next off. So I'm grateful that I'll be able to enjoy Christmas with the family......And I was leaning towards the B&W also. But indecision got the best of me.
1f60e.png

Chris, got a Pineapple/Banana coming
How'd you score that? They were out of it the last I checked.

Back