The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Awesome shave Chris. Love the pic.

Casting resin is like everything else, it just takes practice. And to get the really nice finishes without air bubbles, a pressure pot comes in handy. Certain resins are also easier to turn than others. While others polish better. It is all a give and take.

DocHoliday0831 said:
Very nice pic Chris.

Thanks, TJ.

McVeyMac said:
Excellent shave Chris. Love the Blu theme.

Thanks, Walt.

Dagwoodz said:
Great shave today Chris...have to agree with the others on the Blu theme. Love it when you break out that Aust.

Thanks, Josh.

Cvargo said:
Good Stuff Chris!

Thanks, Chad.

Quijote said:
Awesome shave Chris. Love the pic.

Casting resin is like everything else, it just takes practice. And to get the really nice finishes without air bubbles, a pressure pot comes in handy. Certain resins are also easier to turn than others. While others polish better. It is all a give and take.

Thanks, Don. And interesting observations.

Thursday's shave:

For a change of pace, I decided to break out the British Aristocrat #16 for this morning. I know that I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again....this is a PERFECT razor! And this morning's shave was just that....PERFECT! The entire set up was simply outstanding........

I did 3 passes for a glorious BBS(+). Completely irritation-free; nary a nuance of any irritation whatsoever. And I do believe that I've found the perfect blade for this particular razor - "Permasharp". Egg-cellent!

The real star of the show today, however, was the soap. As most of you cadre know, I'm quite fond of shaving soaps with a rose scent, and I've tried many. Also, as most of you cadre know, this particular Eufros (Jabonman) "Rosa Bourbon", is one of my favorite rose scented retail soaps ever - it's so awesome, I don't have the vocabulary to full convey how much I dig it! My goodness, the scent is dynamite! I've had this jar for at least a year, maybe two, and the SOS is still 4/5, perhaps more, and it lingers strongly throughout the shave - amazing! And the Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic worked up a perfect lather today - really dialed in nicely.

Finished up with an oldie, but a goodie: "Hoyt's". Holy smokes, how I dig this juice! For aftershave, I mixed it with some Fine Snake Bite. Then I put some on, full strength. I've got to head to work in a couple of hours, and while I'm not particularly looking forward to the long day ahead, I am enjoying an excellent start!

cmh737 said:
BTW, this particular bottle of Avon Spicy was PIF'd to me from KJ about 3 or 4 years ago. It may have been the first PIF that I had ever received. This is excellent juice! Thanks again KJ!
1f60e.png

Thanks for the shout out. Anytime some says that, I'm like... I did? I've given and received so many PIFs over the years, I can't remember very many of them. I always remember what I've received form PIFs, but not who sent them to me. But I do recall the very first PIF I received, because it was a complete beginners kit, and I had only been shaving a couple weeks. That started me off on the amazing power of a PIF and the generosity of great gentlemen, and is something I'll never forget and will always continue that tradition. Glad it is still serving you well!

Great couple of shaves Chris. I like your passion, you go all out with the daily theme and find something to enjoy in every shave. I really like the Rosa Bourbon scent too, and i find Jabonman soaps to be very good performers in my den. I was able to pick up some Rosa Bourbon oil and plan to make some soap with it soon. The stuff is rather expensive and not always easy to find so i figure i will go all out and use a recipe that is worthy of the scent.

Dagwoodz said:
Most excellent, Chris! That is one that I'm wanting to pull the trigger on soon!

Thanks, Josh.

Spider said:
Thanks for the shout out. Anytime some says that, I'm like... I did? I've given and received so many PIFs over the years, I can't remember very many of them. I always remember what I've received form PIFs, but not who sent them to me. But I do recall the very first PIF I received, because it was a complete beginners kit, and I had only been shaving a couple weeks. That started me off on the amazing power of a PIF and the generosity of great gentlemen, and is something I'll never forget and will always continue that tradition. Glad it is still serving you well!

Roger all, KJ. And thanks again!

Quijote said:
Great way to start off the day.

Thanks, Don.

CBLindsay said:
Great couple of shaves Chris. I like your passion, you go all out with the daily theme and find something to enjoy in every shave. I really like the Rosa Bourbon scent too, and i find Jabonman soaps to be very good performers in my den. I was able to pick up some Rosa Bourbon oil and plan to make some soap with it soon. The stuff is rather expensive and not always easy to find so i figure i will go all out and use a recipe that is worthy of the scent.

Thanks, CBL. I'm looking forward to hearing how your Rosa Bourbon soap turns out!

clyde72 said:
Catching up Chris!

Great couple of shaves, pictures, and reads!

Thanks, Craig.

WildWest74 said:
Tremendous stuff, Chris! Great catching up.

Thanks, Jim.

Back in town for a few days. A quick recap of soaps/creams used whilst on the road:

(1) Mystic Water "Jeff's Lavender" (stick). I've used this one before, and this lavender scent is one of the best lavender scented retail soaps on the market. I used this where the water is harder than what I have at home, and the lather was one of the best lathers I've ever had from a retail soap! Elite status all the way! Or with Chad's scale, Tier 1/Box 1.

(2) Truefitt & Hill "Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream" (sample). "Meh". This is supposedly unscented, but it actually has a subtle lavender nuance to it. It smells pleasant, but the performance is what gives it the "Meh" rating. For me, T&H creams, in terms of performance, are ridiculously over priced and over hyped.

(3) CBL "Cream". This is one of Chris L's new shaving creams, and it wasn't labeled with any name or description other than, "Cream". Very slick, and very nice post shave face feel. In terms of scent, I'll call it unscented. A great performer! Many thanks, CBL!!

And I had a small Stirling mail call awaiting me, some shaving soap samples, and an aftershave balm: "Satsuma", "Eucalyptus Mint", "Weekend in Malibu", and "Glastonbury" (which I've used before). And "Iced Pineapple" aftershave balm - yes!

Oh, and you might mosey on over to the BST and check out a little something that I just posted.
1f60e.png

Nice catch up and I saw your BST... too bad I already have a General. And I am waiting for a good price on a Green Feather Kamisori to match my folding one.

clyde72 said:
Nice shaves Chris!

Thanks, Craig.

dkeester said:
Nice shaves. Bummer about the T&H.

Thanks, Doug. No worries about the T&H - it was just a sample.

Cvargo said:
Nice catch up and I saw your BST... too bad I already have a General. And I am waiting for a good price on a Green Feather Kamisori to match my folding one.

Thanks, Chad. And roger that.

Back