The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #640:

I decided to hone a razor last night, and thought I'd try out the last of the new-to-me Saint Charles Shave soaps that I recently acquired:

I honed the Belbo half hollow on an all synth progression: 1/3/5/8/12/20K.

Result: Grade C

It shaves, but certainly not the best edge. I may take this to a coticule for a full progression, then finish on the Ark. This particular razor just isn't working for me anymore, and I'm not talking about the edge. It's just that it's a short blade, and even though it's supposedly a half hollow, it shaves more like a quarter hollow, and doesn't have any flex whatsoever. I think this would be better suited to use as a kami. Oh well.

The SCS soap is called, "Dagger", and the Tuxedo synthetic whipped up an awesomely slick lather. However, the scent of this one is not for me. This is definitely a cologne type scent (and I like cologne type scents!), and it's one that I recognize, but I can't seem to figure out which one just from memory. It might be like one of the Polo frags, which I never liked, and still don't. Or now that I've been thinking about it, perhaps it's Drakkar Noir. Either way, it's not for me. The SOS on this one is strong, a definite 4/5 on the SOS scale. And truth be told, I only did one pass with it because I just don't care for the scent. For the second pass (which was the final pass), I grabbed the Mitchell's Wool Fat which was nearby. The clean smell of da Fat thankfully erased any lingering Dagger trace. Walked away with DFS(-).

Immediate post shave was some Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel. Then finished up with Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee EdT.

I think that the less-than-stellar shave was payback for playing hooky from Church this morning while the wife and daughter are still out of town. They'll be back later this afternoon.

I'm making progress with getting caught up with everyone.

Caught up as possible Chris, Good Stuff, you will have to point me to the reviews of out stuff I sent you, LOL

Caught up as possible Chris, Good Stuff, you will have to point me to the reviews of out stuff I sent you, LOL
Thanks, Dave. My review on the Cedar Rose is from July 6th on page 775 of my journal. I'd link it here, but can't figure how to do that on this website. I'll be using the Dublin Tweed soon, maybe even tomorrow. But the Black will have to wait till it gets cooler here; it very much reminds me of one of WSP's previous offerings (Black Amber Vanilla).

Every now and then we get those shaves that are just a "no go." Obviously this is one of them. Well the great thing is...you have more razors, more soaps, more aftershaves, and more....well just more!

Bummer about the shave, but it’s still a great pic! You know what they say about payback.
Thanks, Tim. And roger that.

Every now and then we get those shaves that are just a "no go." Obviously this is one of them. Well the great thing is...you have more razors, more soaps, more aftershaves, and more....well just more!
More to look forward to for sure.
1f60e.png

Good stuff Chris. When I used LASS a few years ago I wasn't a fan. But that fougere sounds nice. And the base is a new formula now? Perhaps a re-visit is in my future.

Good stuff Chris. When I used LASS a few years ago I wasn't a fan. But that fougere sounds nice. And the base is a new formula now? Perhaps a re-visit is in my future.
I've started to re-visit some products myself as of late.

Monday's shave:

I decided to try a new soap, a new aftershave balm, revisit a blade, and try a new blade (yeh, I'll explain that one in a minute).

The razor of choice this morning was the British Aristocrat #16. While I was contemplating which blade to use, I decided to revisit a blade that I haven't used since first venturing into this obsession of ours, and that would be the Derby blade. I recall that it was a dud for me then, and I can now confirm that my opinion remains unchanged. Derby blades are pathetic! They are the sorriest excuse for a razor blade as I've ever seen. Who could possibly get acceptable shaves from one of these? Who??? A total mystery to me as to why these remain on the market. A pox on Derby blades!!!

So, needless to say, after I suffered through only a single pass with the never-to-be-mentioned-ever-again-as-long-as-I-live-blade, I grabbed a different one. Knowing that this was going to be a possibility, I had another blade on deck, just in case. It's a blade that I've never tried before, let alone, heard of. It's a Croma Diamant blade. I did the second pass (which was the final pass) and while certainly better than the previous blade, I can't say that it's worthy of a future purchase. In spite of the bummer blades, I still walked away with a DFS(-), which surprised me.

So the soap. OK, this is a soap that I had only briefly heard of recently. It's Lakewood Soap Company. This one:

When I saw the "Midnight & Rose", I knew I had to try it. The Rudy Vey Manchurian whipped up a nice lather, I must say, and the soap's performance was pretty good. In terms of performance only, I'd give it an initial "impression" rating on Chad's scale as Tier 2, Box 6. It's good, but nothing that "wows" me, although the post shave moisturizing was definitely above average.

But what about the scent? Alright, everyone knows that I really dig rose scented shaving soaps, so I was looking forward to trying this one. But I have to say upfront, that the scent was a major let down for me. On the SOS scale, this rates a 2/5 at most, and it's a good thing, because this really is an artificial smelling rose. Here's the official scent description from their website:

"Indian Sandalwood, Rose, Patchouli and Ylang Ylang are lovely when mixed together. Add in a touch of dark Haitian Vetiver and the scent becomes subtly alluring, earthy and mysterious."

Well, to me, there's nothing "alluring, earthy, and mysterious" about this one (BTW, a small rant: why, oh why, does there have to be such hyperbole and "non description descriptions" with frags? Good grief, just tell us what the notes are and what it smells like in real terms - not what thoughts or images the mind's eye conjures up - OK, rant over). The only notes I can detect are the rose, which like I said is quite artificial, and perhaps the ylang ylang, but nothing else. This has an almost "plastic" smell to it. Really disappointing. Oh well. At least the matching aftershave wasn't too bad.

Tomorrow's shave will be better, that I can guarantee!

Reading the scent notes I am not sure those notes would play nicely together. And then with a synthetic rose smell. No thanks! Thanks for taking one for the team.

And yes Derby BLAH!

The Derby Extra blades are not great, but the Derby Premiums aren't bad. There are much better blades out there than either of those, however.

Reading the scent notes I am not sure those notes would play nicely together. And then with a synthetic rose smell. No thanks! Thanks for taking one for the team.

And yes Derby BLAH!
Yeh, this was a bummer soap scent (for me). And down with Derby.
1f44e.png

Goodness ... that sounded like a hot mess. Great job pulling out the DFS!
Thanks, Tim.

I hate derbys too !!!!
Derbies are the Yugo of blades
Fun to drive and economical?
LOL No! Junk and as reliable as a Cable TV appointment
1f602.png

The Derby Extra blades are not great, but the Derby Premiums aren't bad. There are much better blades out there than either of those, however.
Yes, yes there are.
1f60e.png

Could be worse. Could be a Dorko blade. I'd take a Derby anytime over a Dorko.
There's a worse blade than a Derby???
1f632.png

SR Shave #641:

The last two shaves were less than stellar, but I made up for it today with this set up:

Magnificent all the way around! Back to the vintage soap, and this time it was the NOS Yardley English Lavender (slick, slick, slick!) with the Cadre brush whipping up an outstanding lather for the Kropp razor to work its magic; two easy passes gave a rock solid DFS. Finished up with Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg aftershave balm and EdT. Yes, yes, and yes!!! My goodness, how I dig the scent of this Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg!

BTW, I have to mention this razor again; it's definitely, hands down, one of my favorites. It was made and ground in Sheffield, and in addition to it being a phenomenal shaver, it holds an incredible edge. Sheffield and Solingen razors, for me, are the best blades out there. I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again: if you find a Kropp razor available somewhere, snatch it up! You won't regret it.
1f44d.png

Back