The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Stellar shave. You make me want to get my own Allaround Blonde.
Thanks, Doug. And you would not be disappointed. I totally dig the Spanish point, the extreme hollowness and flex of the blade, the perfect weight and balance of the blade and horn scales, and killer edge. It's a perfect razor.

Great shave to kick off October.
Thanks, Chad.

I thought of you this morning as I lathered my gnarled up Colgate cup soap into a thick lather. I plan to go vintage this month but I may stick with this one another day or two.

Nicely done with the Whisker Wacker
Thanks, Dave.

I thought of you this morning as I lathered my gnarled up Colgate cup soap into a thick lather. I plan to go vintage this month but I may stick with this one another day or two.
That Colgate Cup soap is flat-out-dynamite! Vintage for the month? Love it - great idea! I've got the Wrisley Saddle Club lined up for tomorrow.

Tuesday's shave:

It was time to use the fourth and final vintage soap that I recently received....a NOS puck of Wrisley "Saddle Club".

Believe it or not, there was actually some scent with this one, albeit faint. I'd say it barely registered a 1/5 on the SOS scale, but it was there - kind of a "cologne" type thing. In terms of performance, it was excellent, but just a tick below the Colgate Cup, Williams, and Yardley. And speaking of Yardley....the limited internet searches I've done looking for more information on Wrisley shows that many folk think it's a re-branded Yardley. But having used both the Yardley and this Wrisley now (admittedly only once each), I don't think that to be the case.

The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac DO1, 2-band silvertip got some more workout this morning and did a great job generating an outstanding lather, but I'm not sure I'm going to be holding on to this brush for very long. It's a bit more scrubby than I prefer.

I did two passes (plus some cleanup) with the Gillette black handled Super Speed (w/GSB) and walked away with an ultra-comfortable DFS(+); no complaints whatsoever.

Finished up with Floid Vigoroso. I totally dig this aftershave!!! It's excellent juice and one of the best out there. Love it!
1f44d.png

You are turning into quite the vintage connoisseur. Love it! Great stuff indeed. I need to fish out my colgate and get it used again.

You are turning into quite the vintage connoisseur. Love it! Great stuff indeed. I need to fish out my colgate and get it used again.
Well, I don't know about that - the vintage connoisseur title belongs to CBL.
1f60e.png

But he's got a great idea about doing a month with vintage soaps. Now that I have four, that would be quite doable for me. I might have to do that - if not the rest of this month, maybe next month. I've got several samples that I need to get to first, as well as a new Lakewood "Midnight & Rose" that I just received. I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

Vintage with a scent? You lucky dog. I did day 2 of the colgate cup soap this morning. If you soak it and treat it like a real cup/mug soap (use it everyday) it explodes into lather like no other. Having used some pretty elite soaps I am now able to say with certainty that the old soaps lack the extreme face feel but don't lack in many other areas.

Vintage with a scent? You lucky dog. I did day 2 of the colgate cup soap this morning. If you soak it and treat it like a real cup/mug soap (use it everyday) it explodes into lather like no other. Having used some pretty elite soaps I am now able to say with certainty that the old soaps lack the extreme face feel but don't lack in many other areas.
Yeh, I couldn't believe that there was still a trace of scent on the Wrisley.....And the Colgate Cup is absolutely awesome! It lathers effortlessly for me with the water at my house.

Hmm...the vintage soap bandwagon...maybe I should get on. KJ gave me a puck of Williams vintage...but I am saving that for special occasion...
1f60f.png
. Either way...vintage soaps are all over the bay...but man...some of these guys want WAY too much for them. Great shave Chris!

Hmm...the vintage soap bandwagon...maybe I should get on. KJ gave me a puck of Williams vintage...but I am saving that for special occasion...
1f60f.png
. Either way...vintage soaps are all over the bay...but man...some of these guys want WAY too much for them. Great shave Chris!
Oh man, don't wait for a special occasion with the Williams! Give it a go - great stuff! And yeh, some of the prices are way, way overboard online. But you can find good deals every now and then.

Wednesday's shave:

I think I'm going to jump on CBL's bandwagon and use vintage soaps the rest of the month, or at least mostly, but I'll start tomorrow. This morning, I had to go with this:

Oh, what a great start to the day! My goodness, how I dig the scent of this Valobra Patchouly!!! I totally dig it!!! Even though the scent is on the subtle side, at best a 2/5 on the SOS scale, it's actually perfect for this one as it's absolutely sublime. Magnificent, actually. I could go on and on about this scent, but I'll just sum up by saying that I love it. Awesome! And the Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top whipped up an outstanding lather. This flat top knot is fantastic. Much better than the new fan in the same grade of badger that I recently got. Hmmmmm, a Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top knot in an Eric custom handle sounds like something that would be epic! I wonder if Eric is reading this (nudge nudge).
1f60e.png

I put a new blade in the Injector today. It was one of the Ted Paella injector blades, and two things: (1) These didn't seem as sharp as other injector blades I've used; and (2) the mechanism broke after dispensing the blade and I can no longer get anymore blades from it. Sigh. Anyway, it still shaved well, in that with only two passes (and some minor cleanup), I walked away with a totally irritation-free, DFS, which is perfect for today.

Finished up with several, full-on "glugs" of Floid Blue. I haven't used this one in a while (not sure why, really), and thought it would be a good choice to follow the Valobra Patchouly - I was right. I feel good and am walking tall.

Back