The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Good shave and photo today Chris! Is the Valobra still almond based or only patchouli?

I'm not a vintage guy, but I think it's pretty cool to see you guys using this stuff rather than just putting it behind glass.

INJECTAH!!!! I am very picky with patchouli scents.
Thanks, Chad. And I know what you mean about patchouli scents, but I can assure you that this one is phenomenal.

Great shave. I agree that the dispensers for those Personna blades are not very robust.
Thanks, Doug. And a definite bummer about the blade dispenser.

Good shave and photo today Chris! Is the Valobra still almond based or only patchouli?
Thanks, Chris. The Valobra in the box that's soft is almond based; but the ones in the blue round tubs are hard pucks and come in the following scents: "Patchouly", "Cologne", "Fougere", and "Unscented".

I'm not a vintage guy, but I think it's pretty cool to see you guys using this stuff rather than just putting it behind glass.
I'm definitely in the "use it" camp rather than the collect it and put it "behind glass".

Great shave, rocking the vintage! Bummer about the dispenser.
Thanks, Tim.

Nice shave. I gotta get my vintage Williams in a container or mug to use soon !!
Thanks, Dave. And yes you do!

Thursday's "vintage" shave:

A quick entry before heading out the door.

Vintage Williams soap was the soap today. In a word, marvelous! The TGN boar brush whipped up an excellent lather.

Just two passes with the Merkur 34 (w/black ninja) for a rock solid DFS. The ole mug feels nice.

Finished up with Fine's Italian Citrus, then the real deal AdP Colonia. I'm out the door and walkin' tall.

Fine AS are usually pretty strong, it’s not overpowering for the cologne?

Great photo!

Hmmmmm, a Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top knot in an Eric custom handle sounds like something that would be epic! I wonder if Eric is reading this (nudge nudge).
1f60e.png

Lol hint taken. I've considered looking into Shavemac knots, and I love the one in my RV brush. I'm sure there is a way to order just the knot from them, but not entirely sure how yet. Unless the price I got in the configurator is for just the knot, in which case...*shudder*

Sounds like a winner Chris

Solid Shave Chris! And great choice on the aftershave and the AdP!
Thanks, Dave & Don.

Fine AS are usually pretty strong, it’s not overpowering for the cologne?
Great photo!
Thanks, Chris. I don't think this particular Fine overpowers the real-deal cologne. However, I did not dry off my ole mug, thus some water cut the aftershave; plus, I didn't go full "glug" with it.

Lol hint taken. I've considered looking into Shavemac knots, and I love the one in my RV brush. I'm sure there is a way to order just the knot from them, but not entirely sure how yet. Unless the price I got in the configurator is for just the knot, in which case...*shudder*
They're pricey, no doubt.

Saturday's vintage shave: But first....

Back in town, and I want to mention the soap sample that used yesterday on the road. It's one of the newer soaps from the L.A. Shaving Soap Company (LASS), "Blackfern". I'm actually re-visiting a couple of LASS soaps (samples); this one, and another new one. A while ago, I used to like LASS soaps, as I had 4 of them, but they kind of got left in the dust behind other artisan soaps that I began to favor. But back to this Blackfern....The scent of this soap is magnificent! OMG, if you dig fougere scents, this will knock your socks off. Fougere scents aren't really in my wheelhouse, but I make exception for this one - it's awesome, and I totally dig it! The SOS is a wonderful 4/5 on the SOS scale. Here's the official scent description from their website:

"Blackfern is our take on a floral fougere.

The scent (made, as always, with natural plant essential oils and extracts) has notes of floral lavender and geranium rounded out with patchouli and labdanum, with hints of clove and eucalyptus and orange and peppermint, which results in a very pleasant fresh scent!"

For all you fougere lovers, you'd do well to get a sample of this one.

This soap has a new formula with some additional ingredients than the old version: activated charcoal and red French clay. Visually, the soap's color is black in the container, but lathered, it's completely white. Performance-wise, it's good, and I'd give it a low Tier 1. On Chad's scale, that makes it Tier 1, Box 4. It lathered easily, was stable, was nice and slick with good protection, has adequate residual slickness. But where it gets the downgrade is in the post shave moisturizing category, in that there was none (at least with the hotel water in Wichita, KS). But the scent.....oh yes, the scent of this would easily garner a "puck worthy" rating!

OK, back to this morning's shave....

Here was the set up:

Gillette British Aristocrat #16 (w/Perma Sharp), Paladin, Vintage Yardley English Lavender, Brut aftershave, and Vintage Brut EdC.

Just two passes for a rock solid DFS. No complaints whatsoever!

It's going to take me a while to catch up with everyone, but I shall.

Ok ok, you can quit taking pictures of that razor. Every time you do, I go “Oooo what’s that razor?”. Then I look at your equipment list for the shave then then think “oh ya, I’ve looked up the price of those”.

Beautiful DE razor, Chris. Wow.

I tried the LASS Topanga Fougere in the past, but not the new fougere with the activated charcoal, etc. I thought the Topanga Fougere was a nice scent, and on his website John tells the interesting story of how he formulated it (at least the story used to be there; not sure if it is anymore). For me it wasn't a puck worthy soap not because of the scent but because the performance wasn't completely up to snuff for me (with my lather preferences, my water, etc). It's a quality soap, though.

Ok ok, you can quit taking pictures of that razor. Every time you do, I go “Oooo what’s that razor?”. Then I look at your equipment list for the shave then then think “oh ya, I’ve looked up the price of those”.
Thanks, Dave. And that razor was a splurge a few years ago, and one that I don't regret in the least.

Ah the Brit #16...so gorgeous.
1f60d.png
Thanks, Chris.

Beautiful DE razor, Chris. Wow.

I tried the LASS Topanga Fougere in the past, but not the new fougere with the activated charcoal, etc. I thought the Topanga Fougere was a nice scent, and on his website John tells the interesting story of how he formulated it (at least the story used to be there; not sure if it is anymore). For me it wasn't a puck worthy soap not because of the scent but because the performance wasn't completely up to snuff for me (with my lather preferences, my water, etc). It's a quality soap, though.
Thanks, Randall. I've actually used the Topanga Fougere as well. And I was the same way about the performances of the soaps a few years back when I used them. But this new formulation seems to have bumped up the performance a bit. Also, the Blackfern scent is a thousand times better than the Topanga Fougere.

Back