The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Good stuff on the Yardley. It definitely is a holy grail for many folks here. I had my fair share of Shavemacs but never fell in love with them. The D01 2 Band is lovely though especially with that backbone.

Wow, that vintage stuff is cool. Saw you got some in. I had no idea it was that old.
Old indeed....and awesome!

Congratulations on the new brush Chris, I hope it breaks in quickly and comfortably for you.
Thanks, Chris. Although, I'm not optimistic that this particular knot is going to work for me in the long run.

Some good stuff Chris. I knew you would dig the Yardley, it's just plain good. I scored another pack of Williams Barber soap, I will send you one soon. I believe the barber pucks are different somehow but I can't imaging how that might be. I assume they make the soap in the same fashion but maybe they mix it and press it with more or less glycerin and additives. What ever the case they can knock your socks off.

I see a parade of vintage shaves coming my way.
Williams barber soap? Very cool!! Many thanks!!!

And yes, I'll be using the vintage soaps more often in the rotation for sure. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'll be using the Colgate Cup soap again.

Good stuff on the Yardley. It definitely is a holy grail for many folks here. I had my fair share of Shavemacs but never fell in love with them. The D01 2 Band is lovely though especially with that backbone.
Thanks, Tom. I've got several Shavemac brushes, and really, the only ones that I didn't care for were the DO1, 3-bands (had one in bulb, and another in fan) which were scritchy. The jury is still out on this DO1, 2-band fan. But I totally dig the regular Shavemac 3-band silvertips (better in bulb), Finest grade (in both fan and bulb), the new 2-band silvertip (not DO1) in fan only (much better in fan than bulb), and the DO1, 2-band flat top.

Saturday's shave:

I can't believe that I actually have a Saturday off, and that Georgia Tech has a home game, and that I will finally be able to take my daughter to a game! Yepper, will be departing soon to head down to "the flats". I haven't been to a GT football game in about 3 years, so it'll be good to see one (in spite of how lousy they are this year) - especially since this is my little girl's first college football game.

The shave this morning was absolutely marvelous! The vintage Colgate Cup Soap got the nod for today, as did the Merkur Progress (w/Perma Sharp blade), and the ShaverJoe w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic. Did just two passes (with some cleanup) and it's a rock solid, completely irritation-free, DFS. Nary a bit of irritation seen, nor felt. Excellent! My goodness, how I dig this Colgate soap!!

Finished up with a mix of Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel and Fine Snake Bite, and I'm ready to walk out the door feeling good!

Great Shave! Awesome Pic! And sounds like a wonderful day with your daughter! Hey, despite GA Tech's woes (I think you all need a new coach and a new system to which you all can actually recruit players), I think you all should be able to win this game!

Mmm vintage clean lather and Snake Bite! Sounds good to me!

Have a great time with your daughter!

Great Shave! Awesome Pic! And sounds like a wonderful day with your daughter! Hey, despite GA Tech's woes (I think you all need a new coach and a new system to which you all can actually recruit players), I think you all should be able to win this game!
Thanks, Don. And I'm totally with you on needing a new head coach; he's gotta go, in spite of the win today. As a matter of fact, today's win might just be the last win for the season.

Mmm vintage clean lather and Snake Bite! Sounds good to me!
Have a great time with your daughter!
Thanks, Chris. And we did have a nice time at the game, although we only stayed for the first half. My daughter liked the band and the "atmosphere", but not so much the game itself. She's just not into football. She says, "they keeping doing a 're-set'; there's too much standing around; this is boring. I like soccer, and basketball, and hockey way better." Well, she's got a point. There's not much flow to football anymore - too many TV time outs, and refs taking forever to review a play (of course, I'm sure Chad would be much quicker with the review and fix the issue for everyone).
1f60e.png

Thanks, Don. And I'm totally with you on needing a new head coach; he's gotta go, in spite of the win today. As a matter of fact, today's win might just be the last win for the season.

Paul Johnson was pretty good at Navy, but unless you are a service academy or a small school, I have no idea why a school like Georgia Tech would want to run the Triple Option. It's hard to recruit players to that system because every high school kid has it in his head that they are going pro. And while I think Paul Johnson has limited success with it...a coach that runs a spread offence or a pro style offense can likely have better success in the long run. The bad thing is, I think Paul Johnson just signed a contract extension recently and if you did get rid of him, it would take at least three years...probably more...to get new players in to fit whatever system they want to run! Either way...GA Tech is in for a lot of game losses over the next several years!

Paul Johnson was pretty good at Navy, but unless you are a service academy or a small school, I have no idea why a school like Georgia Tech would want to run the Triple Option. It's hard to recruit players to that system because every high school kid has it in his head that they are going pro. And while I think Paul Johnson has limited success with it...a coach that runs a spread offence or a pro style offense can likely have better success in the long run. The bad thing is, I think Paul Johnson just signed a contract extension recently and if you did get rid of him, it would take at least three years...probably more...to get new players in to fit whatever system they want to run! Either way...GA Tech is in for a lot of game losses over the next several years!

Yepper, everything you said is true. And I think the biggest reason for his not having lasting success at GT vice Navy is that the speed of the athletes at the Div 1A level are so much faster than at the smaller schools and service academies, and the defenses are better at stopping the triple option. Unfortunately, the AD and powers-that-be at GT have decided to settle on mediocrity with regard to the football program. Sigh.

SR Shave #638:

Overcast skies got me thinking about using either AoS Sandalwood or Tabac for today's shave. I chose the AoS Sandalwood.

I flat-out-totally-dig the scent of AoS Sandalwood shaving cream! Love it!! And it is a superb performer for me with both a DE and a straight. I've discovered, that for me, the trick is to not treat shaving cream like soap. In other words, don't add much water. Don't keep adding water to a cream as one would with soap thinking that it's going to take the same amount to reach optimal slickness; the cream will quickly end up too hydrated and lose its efficacy if one does that. To reinforce - shaving creams don't need much water at all. And with that in mind, the Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic whipped up a very slick lather that was most excellent.

I did just two passes with the Thiers-Issard half hollow and had a wonderful shave. I walked away with a completely irritation-free, ultra comfortable DFS, almost DFS(+), actually. I had given the edge just a slight refresh on the Dan's Whetstone black ark, and I'm extremely satisfied with the way this razor shaves.

Post shave was some Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut splash. I always opt to leave a good amount of water in my hands to kind of "cut" this particular aftershave because it can be quite strong if used full strength. Then finished off with the real deal AoS Sandalwood essential oil EdT. My goodness, how I dig this EdT! Marvelous! Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore. I must have gotten this bottle right before they changed it to "Sandalwood Cypress" (which is good, BTW, but I like the regular best).

I really need to use this AoS Sandalwood set up more often.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend thus far.

Excellent choice today! AOS Sandalwood got me hooked on this journey and is still a powerhouse favorite! Definitely going to pick up the Fine Santal when able!

Excellent choice today! AOS Sandalwood got me hooked on this journey and is still a powerhouse favorite! Definitely going to pick up the Fine Santal when able!
Thanks, Chris. When you get the Fine Santal aftershave, be forewarned that it's probably his most potent splash in terms of SOS. It could easily substitute for a cologne.

Thanks, Chris. When you get the Fine Santal aftershave, be forewarned that it's probably his most potent splash in terms of SOS. It could easily substitute for a cologne.

Without question it could be a cologne! That is the only Sandalwood only soap/splash combo I have.

Nice read Chris. Hope your daughter enjoyed her first College game.
Thanks, Chad. And she enjoyed the "atmosphere" of the game, but not so much the game itself. She finds football boring with all the "resets" (her word) and "people just standing around". She much prefers hockey, soccer, and basketball.
1f60e.png

SR Shave #639:

What a razor, what a soap, what a brush, what a shave! I used my A#1-not-even-kidding-don't-have-to-even-think-about-it-favorite straight razor......

The Wacker "Allround Blonde". Oh yeah. This has been, and still is, king of the den. And my goodness do I ever have a sharp edge on this blade! My notes from its last shave indicated that it might be time for a slight refresh, so I did the same as the last refresh, and went just 15 light laps on the Naniwa 12K, then 5 on the SG 20K. I'm thinking now that it may not have actually needed a refresh; maybe just 5 and 5 would have sufficed, because this edge is sharp, and I'm not even kidding. This is like a light sabre thru a stick of butter sharp! Feather AC sharp! And it's still smooth, believe it or not. But it is seriously keen, and just two passes was all that was warranted for today and I'm extremely happy with a rock solid DFS. I'm debating for the next time whether to just use it as is, or maybe give it a swipe or two on the LD bout to tame it a bit. I think I'm just going to use it again without doing anything, as I prefer "razor" sharp edges (yeh, I said it).
1f60e.png

The soap today was Tabac; 'nuff said!
1f44d.png
I opted for the stick, and the Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian whipped up a typically awesome Tabac lather. Post was Tabac aftershave cut in half with Fine Snake Bite. Then finished off with Tabac EdC. Yep, walkin' tall now!

Back