The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Chris I thought you liked the soap. I can pick one up. As far as the Timeless you can find the while set for $190 or even less sometimes on bst's and the bay. Just be patient.

Roger all, Dave. And I did like the soap, but it's one that has not necessarily earned a permanent spot in the stable.

Tuesday's shave:

OK, third shave with the Timeless, second with the scalloped plate. And I chose my A#1 favorite puck of soap, Stirling Iced Pineapple. Everyone knows that I'm Stirling fan boy, and Iced Pineapple rocks! Like I said, it's my favorite puck of soap, but I must qualify that statement in that it's my favorite that is available for purchase, thus far, as I haven't yet tried one of CBL's new soaps that are for sale now.

I decided to use a new Feather blade for today's shave, and right off the bat, I can say that this razor/plate combo was built for a Feather blade! Yes siree! After two effortless and smooth passes, I was DFS(+) and would have walked away on a "normal" day with that. But I've only got one more use of this razor, so I wanted to push it for a third pass to see how it would do.

Result: BBS, but I did obtain a few superficial weepers; however, no irritation or raw feeling whatsoever, so that's a plus. After two uses now, I feel safe in saying that to me, this is a mild, extremely comfortable shaver. I know that yesterday I said I wouldn't want to try the larger gapped plate, but now, perhaps it would be interesting to compare.....one day. I did a good deal of clean up along the way this morning, and I'm not sure if I could achieve a BBS(+) without needing the styptic. Kind of like my experience with Super Speeds - very comfortable, and gives wonderful BBS results, but not quite BBS(+). But then again, I've only used it twice! So this is not a valid assumption. What I can say now is that it feels very, very smooth when doing a pass down the ole mug. I like the shape of the razor head, and with the weight, it's practically effortless. This is a much more enjoyable razor to use than my old ATT razor, which was a quality razor itself, and somewhat comparable to the Timeless in weight, construction quality, and price. Now, I will use this one more time come Friday, and will compare it with my British Aristocrat #16 to gain some more insight. But suffice to say, I've really been enjoying this razor! Many thanks, Dave, for your generosity and patience!!

Can I talk about the Stirling Iced Pineapple for a minute? My goodness, how I dig this soap! I just love it. It's uber, uber slick for me, and the scent is to die for! So why do I mention this? Because, Chris L, if you're reading this, then I have a request. Since folks have been commenting recently about your new soaps with the "Creeper" ingredient, then I'd like to request a Pineapple soap with said creeper. I think that would be dynamite!

Anyway, time to finish up before heading out to work, which, BTW, I'll be curious to see if the approaching hurricane will impact my flight into Columbia, SC late tonight and departure tomorrow late afternoon. At any rate, I finished up today's shave with a splash of Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel, then Sampson's unscented balm. Topped it all off with Creed Aventus EdP and I'm walking tall.
1f60e.png

Glad you like the timeless. I have all the DE razor I need in the ATT variants I have, so luckily I am not compelled to add a timeless. When in a rush, 99% of the time I reach for the ATT SE2 with a Pro Super. Otherwise, I am shaving with a straight. The only time I use a DE anymore is when I am rushed while traveling.

Great couple of shaves and reviews of the Timeless Chris!
Great pictures too!

Good luck on getting in and out of SC before the storm effects flights!

oh boy flights in SC... good luck.

And yes Ghost PINEAPPLE PLEASE!

The flights in and out of Columbia, SC were non events......And yes, Ghost Pineapple would be awesome!!

I. Need. Aventus.

Yes. You. Do!

Glad you like the timeless. I have all the DE razor I need in the ATT variants I have, so luckily I am not compelled to add a timeless. When in a rush, 99% of the time I reach for the ATT SE2 with a Pro Super. Otherwise, I am shaving with a straight. The only time I use a DE anymore is when I am rushed while traveling.

Roger that, Walt.

Great shave and photo Chris! Hard not to walk tall with scents like those!

Thanks, Chris.

Great couple of shaves and reviews of the Timeless Chris!
Great pictures too!

Good luck on getting in and out of SC before the storm effects flights!

Thanks, Craig.

Back in town, and the hurricane did not negatively impact my trip....thankfully. I'm hopeful that those who live in it's path are fairing well.

Meanwhile, I just used the Timeless for the last time. I'll be sending it back to Kentucky today.

For this last run, I decided to compare it directly with the British Aristocrat #16. I even changed to a shorter handle for the Timeless to try and make it more even in terms of size. I did 2 passes with each, the Timeless on the right side of my ole mug, and the Aristocrat on the left.

The other components of today's shave:

Soap: one of my favorites, Martin de Candre Vetyver (my goodness, how I dig this scent!)
Brush: Tuxedo synthetic (bulb)

Result: Excellent DFS(+), completely irritation-free, and I honestly cannot tell the difference in outcome between the two razors. They both produced the same result. I will say this, however, and that is that during the passes, the Timeless seemed a bit smoother/milder perhaps. I'm not sure if that's because of the extra weight of the Timeless, or the beefier razor head, or it's a smaller blade gap and thus milder? I don't know, but it did seem a bit tamer than the 'crat by just a smidge.

Conclusion: If I did not have the Aristocrat, the Timeless would be a must have for me, no doubt! It really is a stellar razor. But since I do have the 'crat, I'm in no rush to plop down full retail cash on a Timeless right now. I most certainly want one, I cannot lie, but I'll be patient and wait to find one at a substantial discount before buying. At least that's what I'm saying now.
1f60e.png
But let me be clear, that if I did not have the #16 Aristocrat, I would be ordering a Timeless after posting this entry!

Dave, many thanks for letting me test-drive your most excellent razor!!! I'll be sending it your way this afternoon.
1f44d.png

As far as Aristocrat vs. Timeless it seems we both came to similar conclusion. Have a great weekend Chris.

Glad it gave you a chance to make a determination on it without the cost. Now you'll know when or if it's needed or wanted down the road. Nice write-up

As far as Aristocrat vs. Timeless it seems we both came to similar conclusion. Have a great weekend Chris.

I was thinking the same thing, Chad - very similar conclusion. And thanks, you too.

Glad it gave you a chance to make a determination on it without the cost. Now you'll know when or if it's needed or wanted down the road. Nice write-up

Thanks, Dave. I really did enjoy this razor! Much appreciated.

Great reviews and comparison. Some very nice pics too!

Thanks, Tim.

Great comparison!

Glad no storm canned your trip! That would be quite a ride!

Thanks, Chris. Nice vid clip! My wife is from Kansas and can quote practically the entire movie!

BTW, a couple of random items:

1. Soaps used whilst on the road the past few trips.....

Lisa's Amber & Tobacco "Premium" - Nice performance, but the scent was just OK for me - nothing to write home about.

Mystic Water "Barbershop" - excellent performer, but just a so-so scent. It was certainly pleasant, but in the "barbershop" scent profile, I prefer: Mike's Barbershop; Declaration Grooming Bandwagon; and Maggard's London Barbershop.

Mystic Water "Sardinian Honey" - wow - outstanding lather! Perhaps the best I've ever had with a MW soap! The scent was honey, no mistake about it. I didn't think I would like it, but it wasn't bad at all. I didn't like the scent enough to make it puck worthy, though.

I was going to use the Noble Otter "The Trail" sample, but it most definitely did not like the water up in Westchester county, NY! Good grief - what an airy, sudsy mess. I'll save it for water that is a bit softer.

2. Something I never thought I'd ever say/do......took guinea pigs to the vet. Yep. My daughter (9 years old) has been hounding us for about a year to get a guinea pig. Well, we finally broke down and got her two (both female). Took 'em to the vet for an initial check up (our vet clinic actually has a couple of docs that specialize in "exotic" animals, if you can believe that). One had been sneezing a bit, and turns out respiratory infections are not uncommon with them. Got an antibiotic to administer for a week. I gotta admit, they're kinda cute.

Oh lord...can’t let my kids see this...all three and the wife have been wanting a guinea pig off and on for the last year. I’ve resisted so far...

Oh lord...can’t let my kids see this...all three and the wife have been wanting a guinea pig off and on for the last year. I’ve resisted so far...

LOL! When you do decide to get one, get two. They are quite the social animal from what we've read and been told.

Saturday's shave:

A quick entry due to my daughter's upcoming b'day party in a few hours.

A "budget friendly" shave this morning. This was the set up:

Vintage Flare Tip Super Speed (w/Feather), Williams soap, TGN boar, Barbasol aftershave.

Marvelous! Two passes with the Super Speed for an ultra comfortable DFS. The Williams whipped up to a wonderfully slick lather. And I must say that I'm quite impressed with this little TGN boar - very impressed indeed. Post was a few "glugs" of the Pacific Rush. Excellent!

I'll grab some Bleu de Chanel EdP in about an hour or so for the final touch.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Stay away from Guinea Pigs. Me and SWMBO got one that was supposed to be a male. Ended up it was Preggers when we got it so we ended up with 4. Gave 2 away and then it was preggers again and we had 5 more. Just saying

Budget friendly shave! Way to go! Nice mug, is it commemorative of something?

Stay away from Guinea Pigs. Me and SWMBO got one that was supposed to be a male. Ended up it was Preggers when we got it so we ended up with 4. Gave 2 away and then it was preggers again and we had 5 more. Just saying

What? Am I missing info that there was another guinea pig? Or was this the litter of immaculate conception?

Back