The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #624:

I decided to give the Genco "Henry's XX" another go, but with a little tune up. Gave it some LV coti, and then black ark.

Result: F

I ruined this edge. Did half a pass and aborted the mission. Grabbed the Merkur 34 for what turned out to be a wonderful 2-pass DFS(+). No worries. I never did like this particular razor, and I was so disgusted with it, that I threw it in the trash.

But like I said, it turned into a wonderful shave in large part due to the soap. This Saint Charles Shave "Bulgarian Rose" is definitely one of my favorite rose scented soaps, and indeed, one of my favorite soaps, period. I totally dig this! And it's "elite" status all the way for me. On Chad's scale, it's Elite/Box 1.

Finished up with some SCS rose aftershave balm, then Aramis EdT. Dynamite combo!

You threw it away?!? Wow.

It's nicer than any of my straights!

Good shaves, though. I remember when SCS put out the Bulgarian Rose soap. It got a lot of raves. I don't think they make it anymore. I seem to remember that they had limited access to the oil they used to scent the soap.

You threw it away?!? Wow.

It's nicer than any of my straights!

Good shaves, though. I remember when SCS put out the Bulgarian Rose soap. It got a lot of raves. I don't think they make it anymore. I seem to remember that they had limited access to the oil they used to scent the soap.

Well, this particular Genco was a "beater" razor. It had a piece of the spine chipped away, loose pivot, cheap scales, and the blade was extremely light, so I won't miss it.

As to the SCS Bulgarian Rose....Looking at the SCS website under the, "SCS Limited" tab, I'm wondering if they've just renamed the shaving soap to "Rosa Damascena". The write up looks the same as when it was called Bulgarian Rose, and the pictured soap puck in the flower design is the same.

BTW, was it you, Randall, that said SCS Fairway smelled like the green tops of carrots?

2 great shaves and a sub par razor performance, as Meatloaf said "Two out of three ain't bad."

Great pictures and reads!

SR Shave #625:

Ah, much better! A much, much better shave with a straight razor this early afternoon. I decided to give the little CVH MK2 a whirl today, and it provided a wonderful, totally irritation-free, comfortable 2-pass, DFS. Yes, this edge is most excellent, thanks to CBL. I can't recall which stones he used on this blade, but it doesn't really matter because it's awesome.

And speaking of CBL.....I decided to stick with my rose scented shaving soap "theme" and opted to use his latest "Rose Oud" shaving soap. My goodness, how I dig this soap! This is without a doubt one of my favorite rose scented shaving soaps! And indeed, one of my favorite shaving soaps. The TSC Tuxedo brush whipped up an outstanding lather. This soap is elite status all the way, for me, in performance and scent. Love it!

Finished up with some Thayer's Rose Petals Witch Hazel, then Hoyt's Cologne. Another dynamite combo - perfect!

Just caught up Chris! Great stuff and glad that you liked the Rosa Pura so much, it's definitely one of my...no scratch that, IS my favorite rose soap. Rosa Bourbon is right there as well, but since it's not a straight rose scented soap, I try not to rate it against other true rose scented soaps.

Loving your Pics Chris!

Thanks, Don. Much appreciated.

Just caught up Chris! Great stuff and glad that you liked the Rosa Pura so much, it's definitely one of my...no scratch that, IS my favorite rose soap. Rosa Bourbon is right there as well, but since it's not a straight rose scented soap, I try not to rate it against other true rose scented soaps.

Roger all, Josh. Although, to me, I think the Rosa Bourbon is pretty straight forward rose; I have it on deck in a couple of days.
1f60e.png

SR Shave #626:

Yes! Finally!!

I finally got a nice edge on the FWE "Special".....and with a coti! As many of you know, I have a love/hate relationship with my various coticules. Only one of them has given me consistently good edges, and even then, only on two specific razors (the Brian Brown and the Robert Williams); and that stone is the little Les Lat. Well, I decided to try it on the FWE Special that has been giving me some edge challenges of late.

I had previously given this razor a full ark progression (with no tape), and while incredibly smooth, it just wasn't sharp enough. So I then had given it some more black ark work (also without tape), and it ruined the edge somehow. OK, so last night, before taking the razor to my tried-and-true synth progression, I decided to give it a go on the Les Lat, with one layer of tape. I went with the typical heavy slurry, medium, light, water only, some soap, then normal stropping. Bingo! Did a 2-passer (with some cleanup) for a marvelous DFS! Yessiree, this little stone is the one; I shall keep this one in the stable. I'll also keep the little Les Dressante bout in the stable as well (for removing any briskness), but the other 4 coticules that I have shall be getting culled from the heard very soon.

As to the soap, I went with another rose scented soap, or least rose dominant (to me), the WWSC "Private Reserve No. 2". The listed scent notes on the label reads: "Rose, Black Currant, Lime, Sandalwood, and Cedar". My goodness, how I dig this soap! Like I mentioned, to me, it's rose dominate. But it certainly has a bright citrus component along with it. Fantastic! I don't detect any sandalwood or cedar in this at all, and that's perfectly fine with this one. Love it. And the performance is highest Tier 1 with the water at my house. On Chad's scale, I rate it Tier 1, Box 2. The Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian whipped up an excellent lather. The only thing keeping it from elite status is that it could be a bit more stable; the lather started to get on the airy side before a pass ended. But no worries, just a quick refresh is all that was needed. Otherwise, excellent slickness, protection, residual slickness, and post shave moisturizing.

Finished up with Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel, then DRH Arlington aftershave. I nice start to the day.

And since today was the first day of school for my daughter, my wife and I are going to see a movie. We'll catch the matinee of Ant Man and the Wasp.

Congratulations with finally getting an edge! You need to stop with these rose scented soaps! I really like many of the rose soaps and Aftershaves but just can't wear them. I kid about stopoing, but I do wish my skin could tolerate them more.

All caught up Chris. Sorry I was so behind. The trip with your daughter sounded like a great time. Also I need to look into that rose soap!

Well, this particular Genco was a "beater" razor. It had a piece of the spine chipped away, loose pivot, cheap scales, and the blade was extremely light, so I won't miss it.

As to the SCS Bulgarian Rose....Looking at the SCS website under the, "SCS Limited" tab, I'm wondering if they've just renamed the shaving soap to "Rosa Damascena". The write up looks the same as when it was called Bulgarian Rose, and the pictured soap puck in the flower design is the same.

BTW, was it you, Randall, that said SCS Fairway smelled like the green tops of carrots?
I think Rose Damascena is actually a different oil than the one they used in Bulgarian Rose.

It was me, but I didn't make it up. Wendy told me that the fragrance was that of carrot tops (the green stuff, not the comedian).

Congratulations with finally getting an edge! You need to stop with these rose scented soaps! I really like many of the rose soaps and Aftershaves but just can't wear them. I kid about stopoing, but I do wish my skin could tolerate them more.

Thanks, Don. And I've got two more rose scented shaving soaps to use, then on to other stuff.

All caught up Chris. Sorry I was so behind. The trip with your daughter sounded like a great time. Also I need to look into that rose soap!

Thanks, Chad.

I think Rose Damascena is actually a different oil than the one they used in Bulgarian Rose.

It was me, but I didn't make it up. Wendy told me that the fragrance was that of carrot tops (the green stuff, not the comedian).

Interesting about the different oil. I may have to order a puck of that just to compare.

And I think the carrot top story was a "Candid Camera" type of story. I actually did check it out at the grocery store the other day, and nope, didn't smell like the soap, nor like anything for that matter.
1f60e.png

Glad you didn’t have to bin the razor this time lol!

Enjoy the time with family. I definitely want to catch Ant Man & The Wasp before it leaves theaters too!

That FWE is a beautiful razor. I had a chance at a NOS FWE like that one but let it go. I found it on ebay for around $100 and opted to place a simple low bid of $100 and watched it go for $102...who knows how high the other guy would have gone. It was between a NOS Cmon and the FWE...let them both go at $102 and bought a beater Cmon Blackie for $15. I swore I wouldn't buy anything but the best from this point on. I guess I'll have to man up and be prepared to pay for the best.

I'll ignore the trashed Henrys XX.

As for the Rose Oud, I have some of that same batch tucked away. I will make sure to hold some in reserve so you can feel comfortable using up that smaller sample.

Back