The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Oh man, all out on the LNHC! Very nice!

I'll give one of those a try tomorrow.

1f60e.png

Friday's shave:

Well, aside from the brush (Rudy Vey w/Game Changer synthetic), I used some new stuff today:

New razor: Fatip Grande. I've been curious about Fatip razors for a while, and the talk around here recently about them got me to go ahead and order one. I was going to get the Picalo, but it was sold out; just as well, because I like heavier razors anyway. I'll try to get a full review of this razor at a later date after using it more, but my initial impression is that for the money, it's a good, new razor. It's efficient, as I did just two passes (with some clean up), and it resulted in a solid DFS(+). But it very much so requires a shallow angle and light touch. Also, when putting the blade in, you have to really focus on getting the blade centered and aligned. Whereas the Gillette NEW LC that I have has little "corners" that seem to seat the blade, the Fatip does not. As I mentioned, a DFS in only two passes, but I did catch some weepers on my upper neck just under my chin. I'm sure I must have had too much angle as I was cruising along, but catch some I did. Or, perhaps it was the Parker blade. This was only the second shave with it, and I've not used this brand before, so maybe that played into the equation as well. More to follow at a later date.

New soap and aftershave: Dave sent me this in trade recently, and I must say, I'm a big fan of this soap's performance. It's uber slick, and has a really nice face-feel with excellent post shave moisturizing. I dig it! The scent is interesting, and is aptly named, "Cedar Rose" and not "Rose Cedar" in that cedar is the dominate note of this soap (and aftershave) - very dominate. The rose is a "supporting cast member", at least to my nose, but is a wonderful, natural rose in spite of that. Actually, if they left the cedar out and went with this rose as the main star - that would be even more awesome, at least IMHO. I do like this scent, as it's unique; and I think that for me, this would really shine in the fall with cooler temps.

So many thanks, Dave!!!

Quick edit: As I've been typing this, and the aftershave has been drying down, I've noticed that the rose has decided to come out and play. The cedar has "left the building", and now the rose is center stage. This is outstanding juice - I definitely dig it!

A very interesting Shave! I tested out a Fatip once and they do require a bit of a light touch and patience!

Great looking packaging on the mail call! Glad you’re enjoying it.

Love my Fatip Piccolo! With a little practice and a light touch, it is a fantastic razor for the price. I’m not 100% sure without checking, but I think the Piccolo is actually a bit heavier than the Grande because the handle is solid, whereas the Grande is hollow.

A very interesting Shave! I tested out a Fatip once and they do require a bit of a light touch and patience!

Roger that, Don.

....Love my Fatip Piccolo! With a little practice and a light touch, it is a fantastic razor for the price. I’m not 100% sure without checking, but I think the Piccolo is actually a bit heavier than the Grande because the handle is solid, whereas the Grande is hollow.

Ah so - interesting about the Piccolo. Yeh, I think this one requires "riding the cap" more than the Gillette NEW LC.

Great mail call, shave, read, and picture Chris!

Looking forward to your take some of the LNHC scents.

I just new if Dave had anything to do with it, the Gentlemen's Chambers would be good stuff!

Great mail call, shave, read, and picture Chris!

Looking forward to your take some of the LNHC scents.

I just new if Dave had anything to do with it, the Gentlemen's Chambers would be good stuff!

Thanks, Craig. And I've got an LNHC soap on deck for the next shave.

Great stuff Chris! I was looking at that Cedar Rose from TGC, but if the cedar is more dominant during the shave, I might pass on it. Not quite in my wheelhouse.

Great stuff Chris! I was looking at that Cedar Rose from TGC, but if the cedar is more dominant during the shave, I might pass on it. Not quite in my wheelhouse.

Thanks, Josh. To me, the cedar is dominate in the soap. However, perhaps after getting more into the puck, the rose will emerge more - IDK......yet.
1f60e.png

Saturday's shave:

In a bit of a hurry, as my wife's headache threw a monkey wrench in my plans today. I've got recurrent training this evening, so kind of scrambling to get things done before I leave. But I still have some time for a quick post.

I tried another soap sample today, Lisa's (LNHC) "Plaide Cloimhe". This is not the first time I've tried her soaps. About a year or so ago I tried two: "Absinthe", and "Sandalwood Patchouli", but wanted to give her soaps another try. This particular sample of Plaide Cloimhe is the original formula, not the new Premium version.

Scent: From her website, the scent description reads: "....Plaide Clòimhe scent is both warm and sensual with aromatic rosewood and cedar leading to a deeply rich blend of spicy clove, everlasting vetiver, and dark amber. (fragrance)". OK, first off, I think this scent is wonderful......from what I can smell. This is very subtle, prior to lathering and during the shave. On the SOS scale, this rates a lowly 1/5. And that's tragic, because the scent is so nice! Now, what I can discern, is mostly a "soft" and "clean" vetiver and amber. I don't detect any of the other listed notes on an individual level. But admittedly, I may be "nose blind" to this scent profile. Remember, I can't really smell Pen's Endymion and anther one that I forget right now. One thing that is really nice, though, is the diversity of post-shave frag possibilities. Prior to shaving, I immediately thought Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee would be perfect, and that's I went with. During the shave, however, I couldn't help but think about Pen's Sartorial for some reason. But many, many different frags would work with this soap. My goodness, how I wish this was more strongly scented.

Performance: Like I mentioned, this isn't the first time I've tried LNHC original soap. With the water at my house, this is an underachiever for me. On Chad's scale, I rate this Tier 2, Box 6. Unfortunately, this was the case with the two previous soap samples I used as well. The overall slickness was acceptable, although not remarkable. In terms of residual slickness, there was none. And post shave moisturizing was nothing to write home about as it washed quickly and clean, but that characteristic is not a ding for me. Actually, this kind of reminded me some "popular" triple milled British soaps.

I will be trying the Premium line soaps in the very near future, so I'm hopeful that these will work better for me.

Anyway, still a very nice shave. The Merkur 34 (w/Persona Red) did an excellent job that yielded an excellent 2-pass, DFS(+). The Vie-Long hair worked well also. Immediate post-shave was a mix of Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Witch Hazel. Then finished with the Guerlain.

Now, tomorrow's soap will be epic, for a certain reason that will be revealed in tomorrow's post.
1f60e.png

Thanks for the review Chris! That is a scent of Lisa's that has intrigued me. But I hesitate because of the rosewood in it. I'm not sure if the rosewood has the same oils in it as rose...but I am abstaining out of caution. I have tough skin...but rose will light it up...I mean I am on FIYA! Anyway...great shave!

Don, I’d be happy to send you this sample puck if you want to at least see what the scent is like.

Good, honest shave Chris. Sorry it didn’t quite jive today.

I don’t mind lightly scented stuff as long as what’s there is appealing. It’s tough love when you want a yummy light scent to pop a bit more though. ?

Nice review Chris! You have water that would make most soap makers cringe! Looking forward to the epic soap reveal tomorrow!

Don, I’d be happy to send you this sample puck if you want to at least see what the scent is like.

Thanks Chris on the offer! Let me think on it...I have a lot coming in...but I am tempted to take you up on the offer.

Great shaves and mail calls. Sorry to hear that your water is such a problem for those soaps.

Great review and picture Chris!
Bummer the scent and performance weren't up to par!

The two Lisa's soaps (original formula) that I have perform great for me.

Catching up Chris, I am glad you liked ht Cedar Rose, I think you will really like the Black and Tweed as well, We try t make these soaps the best as possible in all apsects with no one area that sticks out and you are correct the rose is built that way we make the middle note pretty high on the Rose side and add a bit more in the Base note area so when it does dry down the rose can be more apparent. Look forward to your other reviews, and the Lisa's Haul is fantastic, she does some great stuff!

Just got caught up. I had a Fatip piccolo at one time. It was always a smooth shaver for me, but I have always favored a shallow angle. It is definitely heavier than the Grande. No question about it. The handle is dense.

Centering the blade was extremely difficult on my razor. I think the top cap was not really right geometrically. I don't think it was possible to get it centered so that it was completely even. I put up with it for a while because I liked the way it shaved, but eventually I got tired of it and sold it. Later I picked up a Fatip Gentile with the Grande handle. This one is also a good razor, and it's easier to center the blade, but I find that I don't use it much.

Back