The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Great couple of shave, reads, and pictures Chris, as per norm!

Glad you had a great time with the family, so after the tubing are you feeling your age?

Good stuff Chris! I've tried a couple of MLSW's soaps and while the scents were very nice (The Kraken, Drunken Goat, La Belle du Sud), the performance was just middling for me. Sounds like a great time going to the soccer games!!

Great couple of shave, reads, and pictures Chris, as per norm!

Glad you had a great time with the family, so after the tubing are you feeling your age?

Thanks, Craig. And believe it or not, I actually felt fine afterwards. Where I feel my age is trying to keep up with an 8 year old!
1f60e.png

Good stuff Chris! I've tried a couple of MLSW's soaps and while the scents were very nice (The Kraken, Drunken Goat, La Belle du Sud), the performance was just middling for me. Sounds like a great time going to the soccer games!!

Thanks, Josh. Yeh, I agree with you about the Mickey Lee soap's performance. I thought a revisit would be fair, but now I've checked that block and will move on - plenty of other soaps out there! And the soccer game was excellent! We won 4-0 and the dome was rockin'! It was a HUGE crowd of 71,932!!!

Awesome reads Chris! I really wish we had a MLS team in our area. There is one in Houston which isn't too far...but I would have to plan a weekend trip around it. Unfortunately (and this is coming from a college football fan), any sport teams that start up in the area really has to compete with LSU (pretty much any sport) and The Saints. I know it sounds limited...but that is just the way it is around here. Anyway...glad you and the family had fun!

Awesome reads Chris! I really wish we had a MLS team in our area. There is one in Houston which isn't too far...but I would have to plan a weekend trip around it. Unfortunately (and this is coming from a college football fan), any sport teams that start up in the area really has to compete with LSU (pretty much any sport) and The Saints. I know it sounds limited...but that is just the way it is around here. Anyway...glad you and the family had fun!

Thanks, Don. Hopefully the Pelicans are gaining some traction. Have you been to one of those games yet?

Sunday's shave:

Well, I'm sitting "short call" for work today, so it's not really feasible to attend Divine Liturgy at church this morning. Been getting ready for any potential trip, and thus the Injector was called up for duty. I also used another new-to-me soap sample.

The sample of choice today was Henri et Victoria's "La Poire Francaise".

Scent: This makes the fourth Henri et Victoria soap that I've tried, and I can state emphatically, from a scent point of view, that this is my favorite, hands down! Oh boy, is this ever a scent that is right in my wheel house - I totally dig it! It smells like candied pear, and I mean that in the best possible way! On the SoS scale, this rates a solid 4/5; love it! And it paired perfectly with Swiss Pitralon aftershave!

Performance: As is the case with the other Henri sopas I've use, it's not "elite" status. It's a good soap, but a low Tier 1 or high Tier 2 for me. On Chad's scale, I'd put this at Tier 2, Box 4. I've used these enough at home and on the road to form that opinion. The lather is more on the meringue side of the house, and in no way resembles the yogurt-style consistency. It also isn't the most stable of soaps; as a matter of fact, it reminds me of TOBS when over-hydrated. But it does have very nice post shave properties.

All in all, a nice 2-passer for a solid DFS. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Thanks, Don. Hopefully the Pelicans are gaining some traction. Have you been to one of those games yet?

I have not...it's a shame. The tickets are pretty affordable too. I need to make an effort to see a few this upcoming season. The trouble is...I LOVE my LSU Tigers Basketball team and see several games a year. And they are on the rise right now...so my attention will be on them and the Football team this year. But still...I will try to see a couple.

Roger that, Don. One of these days I'd like to get to an LSU football game. My brother-in-law is an LSU alum and he says those games rock!

Roger that, Don. One of these days I'd like to get to an LSU football game. My brother-in-law is an LSU alum and he says those games rock!

I have to agree to a point. There was a time that I would say there wasn't a better experience in all of sports than to go see an LSU Football game. But as of late, the fan base has become finicky. A lot of things factor into this. You can see every single game on TV now. The University has jacked up prices on every thing, especially parking. Parking spots that used to be free are now really expensive...you have to buy season parking passes. There is a lot more to this...and LSU isn't the only University that is loosing game attendance for football either. It's all across the country. Afternoon games are so hot and with the serious increase of prices, people are not showing up for those games. Even though our 103,000 seat stadium has sold out or near sold out for every game.

So...LSU tailgating and game experience is a must see even if you are not a fan of my Tigers...as long as it is a night game against Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and Texas A&M. And a couple of the cross division games that rotate. But yes if you get a chance...go.

Just got all caught up. Boy, you’ve been enjoying sample after sample. You have me wondering if I should be experimenting more. ...hmm.

Hope your sitting tight for short-call pays off, nothing worse than giving up your normal routine only to left hanging all day.

I have to agree to a point. There was a time that I would say there wasn't a better experience in all of sports than to go see an LSU Football game. But as of late, the fan base has become finicky. A lot of things factor into this. You can see every single game on TV now....

Roger that, Don.

Good shave today Chris. A pear scented soap sounds interesting!

I gotta admit, it intrigued me from the description from the web: "....Ripened Pear, Smokey Guiacwood, and just a hint of Flower Extracts." I have no idea what "smokey guiacwood" is, but this soap is pear all the way, and a really enjoyable scent. I just wish the performance was better for me.

Just got all caught up. Boy, you’ve been enjoying sample after sample. You have me wondering if I should be experimenting more. ...hmm.

Hope your sitting tight for short-call pays off, nothing worse than giving up your normal routine only to left hanging all day.

Thanks, CBL. I've got about 2 weeks worth of samples left! But I'll be having a monumental soap day in about a week!

Stellar photo, Chris!

Thanks, Brad.

Great read, shave, and picture Chris!

Good review of the soap!

Thanks, Craig.

Great shave with the HeV Chris!! Sounds like I soap I'll need to check out, at least in sample form. I have the C&CC and love the scent, but SWMBO is NOT a fan.

Great shave with the HeV Chris!! Sounds like I soap I'll need to check out, at least in sample form. I have the C&CC and love the scent, but SWMBO is NOT a fan.

Roger that, Josh. While I find the C&CC scent interesting, it's just not quite for me. But this La Poire is dynamite - from a scent perspective.

Great pic and Shave

Thanks, Dave.

Chris great stuff. Just getting caught up from the weekend.

Thanks, Chad.

SR Shave #610:

I used another soap sample today, and re-visited a straight razor that I haven't used in a while.

First, the soap: Through The Fire, "Stingray".

Scent: When I first opened the lid of the container (which is a very generous portion, BTW) I thought: "OK, another ubiquitous aquatic scent". Not a bad thing, mind you, as it's quite pleasant, but a "been there, done that" type of thing. Well, once lathered, I must say that I discovered something quite nice.....this smells exactly like Davidoff Cool Water! Yep, exactly (at least to me). On the SoS scale, I give this a solid 3/5, trending towards 4/5, and it lasts throughout the entire shave with some post shave lingering.

Performance: This is a solid high Tier 1 soap with the water at my house. On Chad's scale, I'd rank this, after just one use, at Tier 1, Box 3. It checks all the boxes, but if I'm nit-picking, which I am, it lacks a bit in the residual slickness department, as well as there's not a huge amount of post shave moisturizing. But really, those are minor quibbles, as this is a good soap, just not quite "elite" status. However, if Davidoff Cool Water is one of your favorite frags, then this is a must-buy for you.

Second, the razor: Sta-Sharp.

I'm giving up on this razor for a while. Trying to get an acceptable edge on this blade has proven to be an exercise in frustration. For one thing, it has quite a bit of spine wear, and my latest honing effort was one where I did not use tape. I think that this razor needs a layer or two of tape to be able to get the edge of the blade to where it'll make enough contact with the stone to actually sharpen. I was only able to eke out one pass with it today, as it was way too tuggy; then I switched to the Merkur 34 for the second pass. Finished up with a solid DFS, so still a good shave. But I'm done with the Sta-Sharp!

Back