The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Nice shave. You guys are killing me with these soap reviews !!!!!! CEC is alive and well.

1f60e.png

Great review, shave, and love the B&W picture!

I know you have problems finding soaps that work with your water. Glad to heat this rocks!

Thanks, Craig. Actually, most soaps do work at my house; but there are certainly some that give me a challenge.

Thursday's shave:

I opted for another DE razor this morning, and went with the U.S. Aristocrat (W1) w/Perma Sharp blade. And I chose to use another new-to-me soap and aftershave: Reef Point "Tranquility" soap and matching a/s.

I'm actually re-visiting Reef Point Soaps as this is not the first time that I've used Reef Point. My initial tub from a couple of three years ago was his "Submariner", which was OK, but the scent kind of wore thin for me. This time, I decided to check out the "Tranquility" which is a Lavender and Peppermint scent.

Scent: The scent of this soap is wonderful; I really dig it. I find it to have a very calming effect for me. I've actually lathered this in the evening before hitting the rack as it seems to have some stress reducing quality. Also, the combination of the lavender and peppermint works extremely well. Another lavender and peppermint soap that I had once was the Sudsy Soapery one. I read that Don used that one today. I really dug that one as well. Both the Sudsy Soapery and this Reef Point are very well done in the scent department and I can't say that one is better than the other - both are stellar scents. This Reef Point, on the SOS scale, is a solid 3/5, and lingers through the shave.

Performance: This is a nice performing soap, but I want to use another razor, and brush, to truly evaluate it. My U.S. Aristocrat, while a beautiful razor, with excellent ergonomics, really isn't one of my favorites in actual use. It seems to always leave me with a couple of weepers, and today was no different. I did just two passes, and while the first pass was great, the second pass felt kind of harsh. I don't think it was the soap, but the razor. However, I will say that the soap lather, on initial impressions, is more in the Tier 1 level for me, and not quite "elite". On Chad's scale, I say Tier 1/Box 4. But, let me also try this soap with another brush. I used one of my ShaverJoe customs with an Ubersoft synthetic. This knot is set at 28/56 and is probably my densest synthetic knot. I don't use this one often, so I may not have had the soap dialed-in at optimal performance. I will say that the post shave face feel was quite nice.

The matching aftershave is fantastic! Oh yes, this is a winner. Whereas I do not particularly like the Lavender aftershave from Fine Accoutrments (it's the only one that I don't like from his line, because to me, it smells like Vodka), this Lavender and Peppermint from Reef Point is dynamite! Love it!

Now it's off for a family gathering at my Aunt & Uncle's house on the lake. My little sister, who lives in Texas, is here for a short visit with my niece. My brother-in-law and nephew are on a camping adventure, so my sister and niece decided to venture east for a few days. And my cousins will be at the lake as well, so it's going to be a typical big family bash. I suppose it's a southern thing, because I totally dig big family get-togethers, but my wife, who's from Kansas, doesn't find them as enjoyable as I do (even with her family). But she's a good sport, and I know that my daughter is going to have an awesome time!

Doing a little catching up. Great job on honing the Torrey, and I agree completely about their quarter hollows. The almost twin I have of that razor is a fantastic shaver. I have a sample Hallward's Dream that I tried while on vacation, along with Visions and Revisions, and I totally dig both of them.

Nice read Chris. I love the family get togethers! Always too much food and great stories being told.

Great stuff Chris! I haven't tried Reef Point Soaps yet, but they're eventually on "the list"...lol.

Great read, shave, and picture Chris!

Have fun and be safe this weekend! I really miss the big family get togethers. Unfortunately the only time our family is all together any more is at a funeral. Seems once the older members passed no one was interested in getting together as a family anymore.

I checked it out website for the Storybook soaps a couple of weeks ago. The ingredient list for that soap sounded promising. Nice to hear that it also delivered the kind of lather it seemed like it should.
Enjoy the family get-together!

Doing a little catching up. Great job on honing the Torrey, and I agree completely about their quarter hollows. The almost twin I have of that razor is a fantastic shaver. I have a sample Hallward's Dream that I tried while on vacation, along with Visions and Revisions, and I totally dig both of them.

Roger all, Eric. Those Torrey razors are indeed excellent.

Nice read Chris. I love the family get togethers! Always too much food and great stories being told.

Thanks, Chad. And agree about the food and stories.
1f60e.png

Enjoy the weekend, sounds like a great time!

Great shave and photo Chris!

Enjoy the family time!

Thanks, Dave and Chris.

Great stuff Chris! I haven't tried Reef Point Soaps yet, but they're eventually on "the list"...lol.

Great shave. The Reef Point soaps sound interesting.

Thanks, Josh and Doug. Reef Point is worth giving a shot one day - once you've tried everything else.

Great read, shave, and picture Chris!

Have fun and be safe this weekend! I really miss the big family get togethers. Unfortunately the only time our family is all together any more is at a funeral. Seems once the older members passed no one was interested in getting together as a family anymore.

Thanks, Craig. And bummer that no one seems to want to get together anymore. Maybe pick up the phone one day and just make it happen.

SR Shave #609:

We had a great time at the family get-together yesterday. My daughter had a blast with her cousins, and going out on the boat and tubing was a highlight. I even got out there - I haven't done that for at least 35 years!

As to the shave this morning, based on being on the lake yesterday, it just felt like a "summer time" set up was in order, and one such set-up for me is this:

I used the ShaveJoe w/Muhle synthetic to super-lather the Palmolive stick and TOBS Avocado, and followed it with St. Charles Shave Avocado Oil aftershave. I totally dig this combo! I love the scent of TOBS Avocado, just love it; but I like to "boost" the performance with the Palmolive and it certainly works for me. And the SCS Avocado a/s is a perfect match for all this.

The Brian Brown performed admirably today and I was rewarded with a wonderful BBS(-). Prior to the shave, I gave it a little maintenance re-fresh with some water only laps on the La Verte coti, followed by some light laps on the Dan's Whetstone black Ark. The edge is rockin', and it'll be some time before this blade needs a complete re-hone, if ever. I'm all in with the black and translucent Arks for finishing and maintenance.
1f44d.png

All caught up on the last three shaves Chris... wonderfully detailed and descriptive. I have two Storybook Soaps (V&R as well as Coffee Spoons) I am starting to really appreciate them. By the way...love the D.S. dig!

Awesome stuff Chris!! Sounds like a wonderful time with the family!

Thanks, Josh. It was.

Nice shave! I have always enjoyed tubing on the lake!

I get old, but tubing never does.
1f60e.png

Not an avocado person, but I’m glad it shaves well, lol!

Fun themed set up.

Thanks, Chris. This avocado actually smells like fresh cut cucumbers to me. It's a very fresh scent that reminds me of summers in Germany.

All caught up on the last three shaves Chris... wonderfully detailed and descriptive. I have two Storybook Soaps (V&R as well as Coffee Spoons) I am starting to really appreciate them. By the way...love the D.S. dig!

Thanks, Don. I just received two more Storybook Soap samples today, "Hook", and "Shaken". Just a quick sniff test from the containers: Hook smells like straight up leather to me; and Shaken smells like.....well, I had to look up the description from the website because I'm not sure what it smells like....ah so, yes, I detect the carnation, sandalwood, and musk. It'll be interesting to see what they're like once lathered.

And my pleasure on the D.S. dig
1f609.png

TOBS Avocado smells like fresh-cut grass to me.

Just came here to say that I am insanely jealous of that gorgeous Brian Brown.

That is all.

Saturday's shave:

I decided to use one of my Gillette NEW LC razors (it's been a while), and another soap sample today, Mickey Lee's "Cape Verde". I've used a couple of Mickey Lee's soaps before, and thought I'd re-visit the brand and try another scent.

Scent: This Cape Verde is a very clean and fresh scent. From the website, the scent description reads, "...this bright fougère has notes of fresh orange, tangerine, lavender, thyme and oak moss...." To me, I can't really discern any single note, as it has that "fresh linens" type of vibe going on. Actually, it's not too dissimilar to the SV Dolomiti black puck, IMHO. Whereas the SV Dolomiti has an herbal nuance to the "fresh linens", this Cape Verde has a floral nuance to the "fresh linens". The SOS is about 3/5 on the SOS scale, and while it's a very pleasant scent, it doesn't necessarily "wow" me enough to warrant a full purchase, but only because I have a puck of the SV Dolomiti black, so for me, it would be redundant.

Performance: My initial impression is that this is a solid Tier 1 soap that is just shy of "elite" status with the water at my house. It's perfectly acceptable and does a great job, but lacks that certain "something something" that would bump it up to "elite". On Chad's scale, my initial impression would be to rate it at Tier 1, Box 3. It checks off all the boxes, but, I'd need to use it more to fully evaluate. Perhaps if the scent were more awesome (again, it's perfectly fine), I'd have given it a higher mark, IDK. But I did have a very nice shave result. Just two passes with the NEW LC (w/Personna Red) gave me a wonderful DFS(+), so no real complaints.

I'm looking forward to this evening, as my wife, daughter, and I are going to the Atlanta United vs. Orlando City game. It's an awesome atmosphere and the city has really embraced this team. We actually went to the game last Sunday as well (they tied Portland). You should see my 8 year old cheering her head off - it's hilarious!

Back