The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

....I have Maya on my list to buy at some point, but none of the others I could enjoy using.
"Maya" is the other sample that I have. It's an odd one, and not sure I'll be able to actually use this one either for an actual shave.

Interesting Wild West seems to be making another round of appearances in the journals. I gave them a try when they first came out, and all the scents had an underlying artificial smell to me. I'm wondering if they have worked their way past that. They seem to be cranking out the new scents though.
Funny you mention this. I can't even recall what prompted me to check out the Wild West website the other day, but they've definitely added a bunch more scents since the last time I ordered from them! So far, I haven't detected any "artificial" notes, thankfully, as I don't like artificial either.

Nice re-cap of the shave Chris. The Wichita scent sounds interesting. Is the wood smoke pretty dominant? That note deters me from pulling the trigger.
I did not detect any wood smoke at all, Chad; nada. I'll PIF it to you if you want it.

Nice write up and Congrats on the PERFECT shave. I love those special days when the planets all line up together
Thanks, Dave.

Great review of Wichita, and great job on the edge of the Torrey! Always nice when you get those surprise grail shaves! (even if it's not BBS)
Thanks, Josh. And roger that.

Great shave, review, and pic.
Thanks, Doug.

I've been holding off buying Wild West soaps for reasons I won't get into here. But it seems as if many are getting good milage and shaves out of this, do I see a Wild West soap in my future.
Let me know if you want to try it, Don - I'll send you one.

Great scales on the Torrey. Congratulations on a perfect shave!
Thanks, Chris.

I LOVE that Torrey razor! Holy cow, what a looker.
Thanks, Randall. Eric really did a great job with those scales. BTW, these Torrey quarter hollow razors are FANTASTIC blades! And they're downright inexpensive.

SR Shave #608:

I decided to use another Wild West Shaving Co. soap today, along with the Genco "Old Dutch" razor.

First, the soap. This was the "Rose Dunn" scent. The description from the label reads: "Wild Rose, Coconut, Amber". Now all of you know that I am a huge fan of rose scented shaving soaps, so anytime I see one that has a rose note prominently listed, I'm going to be trying it. This one, however, just doesn't work for me, from a scent perspective. It's not that it's unpleasant by any means, no. It's just that it's an odd duck for me. It smells like an Atomic Fireball that was rolled around in powder. I can only assume it's the coconut and amber joining forces to subdue any semblance of natural rose bud essence. IDK, it's just not for me. Also, it's cloying during the shave. On the SOS scale, it's a solid 4/5, maybe even 5/5, and that's not a good thing with this particular scent profile. Oh well, plenty of other good WWSC scents out there.

Second, the razor. This Genco is one that I sent to our very own CBL to hone. I don't recall what magical stones he used on this one, but it's a grand slamma jamma, walk-off homerun edge. This is the third time I've used it since getting it back and this blade is dynamite! Did just two passes for a wonderful DFS. Again, many thanks, CBL!

Finished off with Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel with just a dash of Fine Snake Bite; then topped it all off with Pen's Hammam Bouquet EdT. Excellent!

Swing and a miss! I know I will definitely NOT be adding that one to the den. I think it is the Amber sometimes that scent works and other times it just doesn't. As to the Wichita I would be willing to give it a go, and if it's a no-go for me i'll pass it to someone else.

Swing and a miss! I know I will definitely NOT be adding that one to the den. I think it is the Amber sometimes that scent works and other times it just doesn't. As to the Wichita I would be willing to give it a go, and if it's a no-go for me i'll pass it to someone else.
Roger that, Chad. I'll get the Wichita in the mail soon.....back to the "Rose Dunn": I'll be interested to read what Josh thinks of it when he uses it.

Sorry the soap was a dud for you. Glad the Genco made up for it!
No worries. Like I mentioned, the soap wasn't unpleasant, just not in my wheel house. And this Genco model is the best Genco I've used yet - it's nice and hefty.

Got some purdy scales on that one
Thanks, Dave. These scales came with the razor. I'm not sure if they are "stock" or custom.

Hmmm...thought I posted this but I guess not. LOL

Too bad on the Rose Dunn...off of the tin I get the rose right away with the coconut and (I'm assuming) amber supporting it. Then again, it's been a week or so since I've taken a whiff of it, so I might be wrong.

Great couple of reads and pictures Chris!

And aside from the scent profile of the last one shaves.

Good job on the retouch with the Black Ark!

Hmmm...thought I posted this but I guess not. LOL

Too bad on the Rose Dunn...off of the tin I get the rose right away with the coconut and (I'm assuming) amber supporting it. Then again, it's been a week or so since I've taken a whiff of it, so I might be wrong.
You probably posted it, Josh - I can't keep things straight sometimes.
1f60e.png

Nice shave. The soap does sound strange.
Thanks, Doug. And just because it wasn't for me, doesn't mean that someone else might think it's awesome. For example, I'm thinking of a certain a/s that some are "chosen" for and some "not chosen" (I'm the latter!)

Congrats and I believe I had a Genco like that at one time. Those should be original scales.
Ah so - thanks!

Great couple of reads and pictures Chris!

And aside from the scent profile of the last one shaves.

Good job on the retouch with the Black Ark!
Thanks, Craig.

Wednesday's shave:

I opted to go with my Flare Tip Super Speed (w/Perma Sharp) today, and decided to try the other Storybook Soapworks sample that I have, the "Hallward's Dream".

Bottom line up front: I.....TOTALLY....DIG....THIS!!!

Goodness gracious, I dig this soap both in terms of scent and performance.

This is the advertised scent description:

"...built upon a base of sandalwood and musk with a bright and bitter bergamot flair. The citrusy top is complemented with a touch of basil and oakmoss to bring out the greener notes of the opening accord, while hints of violet and talc round out the scent and soften the blend. This luxurious fragrance is reminiscent of a slow afternoon at an Italian barbershop, with a darker base that cuts through the bright bergamot core."

The scent of this soap is absolutely wonderful! When I opened the container lid, my first thought was that it reminded me of the no-longer-around Queen Charlotte Esquire (which was an awesome scent!) that was mostly sandalwood, mixed with some leather. But once lathered, this takes on a fantastic citrus vibe which is clearly bergamot. On the SOS scale, I rate this a solid 3/5, trending to 4/5; I love it! The challenge was trying to decide what aftershave and/or frag to use. This has many, many possibilities - it's that versatile. Here's a shotgun blast of ones that I considered (in no particular order) that would work well: GTB, Alpa Classique, Pinaud Citrus Musk, Tabac, Hoyt's. In the end, I decided to just use a little Sampson's unscented balm, which sort of "sealed in" the lingering goodness from the soap. I still haven't decided if I'll use a frag for later.

The performance of this soap with the super speed was downright "elite" status. The Tuxedo synthetic whipped up an outstanding lather, and this lather has that "something special" face feel. I remember CBL talking about some soaps having a different feel, and I totally get it - this is one such soap! The residual slickness is noteworthy. I did two passes, and then some clean up which was practically a third pass, with just the residual - it's that good. And the post shave face feel is marvelous. Now post shave moisturizing is one component of a soap that I rank last, for me, in terms of characteristics that I look for most; but for some, like Don, it's number one. This is fantastic. As a matter of fact, after my clean up pass, I did another lather to soak in while I cleaned my brush, then rinsed off - excellent!

I'm not sure why I haven't heard of this soap. Is it new? Is it just flying under the radar due to not much visibility? Is there some dubious/negative reputation about the company or owner (yeh, I'm looking at you D.S.)? As long as it it isn't the latter, this is totally "puck worthy"!

Great shave Chris!

Both Hayward’s and Queen Charlotte’s sound like winners in the sandalwood department!

I'm not sure why I haven't heard of this soap. Is it new? Is it just flying under the radar due to not much visibility? Is there some dubious/negative reputation about the company or owner (yeh, I'm looking at you D.S.)? As long as it it isn't the latter, this is totally "puck worthy"!
For some reason, they just haven't gotten their name out there much. But either they are limited production or more popular outside this group. Until the release of the two newest scents, they only had 3. And even now, I'm seeing people still just now discovering their coffee and tea scents as opposed to this one and Hook. But almost as soon as Hook was released, it was sold out and I had to keep checking for what seemed like months for it to be back in stock again.

Great review Chris...sounds like you found a winner for the water there at your house!!

Thanks, Josh. It certainly works at home, for sure.

Great shave Chris!

Both Hayward’s and Queen Charlotte’s sound like winners in the sandalwood department!

Thanks, Chris. It's too bad that Queen Charlotte Soaps aren't around anymore - they had some awesome scents: Rose Otto, Esquire, and their Queen Charlotte.

Great shave. Yet another producer that I now need to try.

Roger that!
1f60e.png

For some reason, they just haven't gotten their name out there much. But either they are limited production or more popular outside this group. Until the release of the two newest scents, they only had 3. And even now, I'm seeing people still just now discovering their coffee and tea scents as opposed to this one and Hook. But almost as soon as Hook was released, it was sold out and I had to keep checking for what seemed like months for it to be back in stock again.

Ah so - interesting. Funny you mention "Hook", as just last night I went ahead and ordered two more samples from them: "Hook", and "Shaken". Once I get those, I'll be placing an order for full tubs. I know for sure that I want a tub of this Hallward's Dream, and I'll wait to see what the inbound samples are like as I might add them to the order.

Great review, shave, and love the B&W picture!

I know you have problems finding soaps that work with your water. Glad to heat this rocks!

Back