The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #605:

Today's shave was marvelous! The entire set-up was perfect, and so was the result.

First, the soap. I went with one of the new-to-me Wild West Shaving Company soaps, the "Private Reserve No. 2". Bottom line up front: I totally dig this one!!! The scent is right in my wheel-house, no doubt. It's like I previously mentioned in my initial impression of the test lather, with one adjustment: I'd say that the black currant seems to be the dominate note now, which is excellent. Sidebar: when I was stationed in Germany, the house I lived in - the landlady had currant bushes lining the front of the house. She gave me a jar of her homemade currant preserves once, and I've been a fan ever since. OK, back to the soap. I really, really dig this scent. I would go so far as to say that it's a "sophisticated" scent. What does that mean? I don't know, but it's the type of thing where I would definitely use this if I were going out with the wife for something fancy. If I had to wear a tux, then this would be a soap I'd choose for the occasion. Performance-wise, excellent. I'm no stranger to WWSC soaps, and this one is as good as the others I've used. It has a nice post shave face feel. I'd put this at "elite" status; certainly no lower than Chad's new Tier 1, Box2. Now I've got 4 more WWSC soaps to use over the next few days.

Second, the brush. The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac 2-band silvertip (not DO1) whipped up a perfect lather. This knot is fantastic, and I decided to use it today in honor of Josh having just received his first Shavemac 2-band silvertip. I really should use this brush more often.

Third, the razor. I opted to use the Ralf Aust 5/8 full hollow w/Alfredo's custom scales. This edge is still fantastic. I had honed this on an all synth set-up thru 20K and have since only given it slight refreshes, once w/12K + 20K, and once w/20K only. I decided to give it a few laps on the Natural Whetstone black translucent prior to today's shave, and it's ultra, uber smooth. Did a rare 3 full passes and had a totally, completely irritation-free BBS(-) result. Wonderful!

Fourth, the post-shave routine. Immediately following the shave, I went with a mix of Fine Snake Bite + Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel; then finished up with Bleu de Chanel EdP. I'm tellin' ya, the BdC paired perfectly with the soap scent! This is a repeat combo for sure!

Great Shave Chris!!! Private Reserve No 2 is probably going to be the next soap up when I get back to WWSC.

SR Shave #606:

Yet another new soap sample for me today. This time, it was one of Mike's Natural Soaps new scents, the "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang".

First off, if you didn't know, Mike's now offers samples. Secondly, the sample size is quite generous! Thirdly, this soap scent is most excellent! As a matter of fact, I totally dig it! This is a wonderfully "bright" orange scent. If you've tried the Chiseled Face Santa Paula, this Mike's is completely opposite of the Santa Paula. This Mike's is just like cutting open a fresh orange, IMHO. I love it! My only quibble is that I wish it were stronger on the SOS scale. As it is, it's about a 2/5, trending towards 3/5. No worries though, this is totally "puck worthy"! Oh, and performance? Typical "elite" status for me. The ShaverJoe w/Game Changer synth whipped up an outstanding lather.

The razor of choice was the Thiers-Issard 5/8 half hollow. This edge is completely dialed in - awesome! I did another rare 3-passer that gave a fantastic BBS result! Yepper, full on BBS.

Post was some Fine Snake Bite + Lucky Tiger aftershave & facial tonic mix, finished up with Creed Imperial EdP.

Now it's off to work!

Ooooooo....new Mike's scent! going to have to take a hard look at that one! Great shave and picture as always Chris!

Well outside of the GT stuff, great shave, picture, and read Chris!
1f60f.png

Catching up. Nice reviews, shaves and NICE picture with daughter. I only wear bow ties but can't pull off the Sear Sucker like you
1f44d.png

Catching up. Nice reviews, shaves and NICE picture with daughter. I only wear bow ties but can't pull off the Sear Sucker like you
1f44d.png

Nonsense! Everyone can pull off sear sucker! My wife even rocked a sear sucker suit yesterday!

Good shave Chris. Hmm...too much emphasis on the Georgia Tech Stuff.
1f60b.png
Thanks, Don. At least we're in different conferences.
1f60e.png

Ooooooo....new Mike's scent! going to have to take a hard look at that one! Great shave and picture as always Chris!
Thanks, Josh.

That is a great pic!
Thanks, Doug.

Well outside of the GT stuff, great shave, picture, and read Chris!
1f60f.png
Thanks, Craig. And see my above reply to Don.
1f61c.png

1f44d.png
Thanks, Dave......

Nonsense! Everyone can pull off sear sucker!....
And have to agree.

Just got caught up. Nice reads and pics.
Thanks, Randall.

Back in town, and here's a brief recap of the 3 soap samples that I used on the road:

Tallow & Steel "West Indies": Solid performer with excellent post shave qualities. The scent, however, is not for me. While I like the bay, which is the dominate note in this soap, it's the other "stuff" that just doesn't seem to work well in unison. I'd say the SOS is a solid 3/5, and while not unpleasant at all, it's just somewhat weird to me, and thus not "puck worthy" for me, based on scent alone.

Mystic Water "Irish Traveller": We all know how MW performs, so I'll just mention the scent. This is supposed to be a Creed GIT interpretation, but I don't think it really matches GIT. However, that is not a ding, only a subjective opinion, because the overall scent of this soap is most excellent! I dig it. On the SOS scale, if I'm being generous, I'd give it a 3/5.

Mystic Water "Vanilla Sandalwood": It's pleasant, but only "meh" for me; and about a 2/5 on the SOS scale.

T&S is a great performer. I tried the West Indies as well; that’s stuff is pungent! I was on the edge of being turned off by it. It’s probably the strongest scented soap I’ve smelled thus far in my journey. Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay is much more bearable and enjoyable in the scent department.

Back