The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Thanks for the kind words Chris, and you know I love that Kropp! It's awesome that the edge is still going strong. You must have honed it last about a year ago?

Great write-up Chris. The Sorrentino TSC brush has quickly elevated itself into a favorite category in my den.

All these photos and reviews of Eric's brushes are just fantastic! They really look incredible!

Thanks for the kind words Chris, and you know I love that Kropp! It's awesome that the edge is still going strong. You must have honed it last about a year ago?
It was over a year ago, Eric; it was Jan 10, 2017 to be exact. All I've done since then is a few light refreshes. It's a great blade for sure.

Great write-up Chris. The Sorrentino TSC brush has quickly elevated itself into a favorite category in my den.
Thanks, Walt. And roger that.

All these photos and reviews of Eric's brushes are just fantastic! They really look incredible!
Eric really did a spectacular job!

SR Shave #603:

Well, I re-honed and then re-honed a razor....this one, the Robert Williams:

The last time I honed this was a debacle. So this time I took it to the little Les Lat coti that I had once used to get a great edge on this blade. I then took it to the Dan's Whetstone 8 x 3 x 1/2 surgical black that Dave re-worked for me. Now, I actually did this a few weeks ago and never got around to shaving with it. Since then, I got a more powerful loupe, and I noticed that the heel and toe were no where near being ready. So I took it back to a coti, but this time, one of my larger "Standard" cotis that I got directly from the Ardennes. I did full on dilucot, and planned on finishing on one of the Arks, but the edge looked so good under the loupe that I decided to shave test it straight from the coti.

Result: Grade C

I did two passes that yielded an acceptable CCS(+), but it's not "there" yet. It wasn't a bad shave, but I need to take this back to the stones for some more work. I think I'll take it for water only laps on the new LV coti, then the Natural Whetstone black translucent Ark for finishing. Perhaps that will get this ship-shape.

The rest of the set-up was nice. The Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest did a wonderful job with whipping a nice, slick lather of the Stirling "British Leather" shaving soap. I like the scent of this quite a bit. They really did a great job with this scent profile. I think that the scent is better than the actual English Leather!

Finished up with Myrsol F aftershave and it paired very well. I decided to forego the English Leather frag, and just stuck with the Myrsol.

Now it's off to pick up my 8 year old daughter from her first day of Tennis camp. She's been wanting to start playing Tennis, and now is a good time to get her started. Both my wife and I used to play quite a bit many years ago, so maybe we'll start back playing now as well. BTW, rackets sure have changed a lot since my first rackets! (Yeh, I'm talking wood rackets)
1f60e.png

Great write-up Chris...that was a good catch on the false positive on the heel and toe. Now that you found those flaws, and corrected them on this honing, it should just be a matter of some more laps to improve the keenness of the blade.

Caught up after days being behind. A lot of all this honing talk is over my head, but I also find it interesting there isn't something to measure the sharpness of a blade to let you know exactly HOW sharp they are at different stages of honing or when it's all done.

Great shave, read, and pic.
Thanks, Doug. Although I wouldn’t go so far as calling today’s result, “great”; more like, “acceptable”.
1f60e.png

Great write-up Chris...that was a good catch on the false positive on the heel and toe. Now that you found those flaws, and corrected them on this honing, it should just be a matter of some more laps to improve the keenness of the blade.
I hope you’re right, Josh.

Caught up after days being behind. A lot of all this honing talk is over my head, but I also find it interesting there isn't something to measure the sharpness of a blade to let you know exactly HOW sharp they are at different stages of honing or when it's all done.
The only measurement is the subjective results from the one wielding the blade.

So much for me not purchasing anymore soaps for a while - LOL! I just got the first arrival of a few mail calls that will be trickling in over the next few days. Today's batch included one aftershave sample (Proraso Red splash - smells very nice!), and 9 soap samples. I haven't test lathered any of them yet, but I will actually use one for tomorrow's shave. After giving them a sniff test from the containers, I have formed an initial impression of the scents:

1. Tallow & Steel "Maya" - Oy! I hope this transforms into something decent once lathered so I can actually use it for a shave! This is not a good sign so far. It smells like that liqueur, Benedictine, IIRC - yuck!

2. Tallow & Steel "Morocco" - Oy! See above, except this one smells like rubber, kind of like a garden hose. Another bad sign.

3. Tallow & Steel "West Indies" - Nice and "limey". This has potential.

4. Story Book Soap Works "Visions & Revisions" - Yes, this has major potential. From their website, it's their "...take on a classic tea scent. We blended bergamot, orange, and lemon on top of a dark black tea and earthy lavender base to build a citrusy Early Grey scent. This soap is like a relaxing cup of tea at the end of a long day!" I will use this one in the morning.

5. Story Book Soap Works "Hallward's Dream" - IDK, we'll see. Perhaps. It's, "....built upon a base of sandalwood and musk with a bright and bitter bergamot flair. The citrusy top is complemented with a touch of basil and oakmoss to bring out the greener notes of the opening accord, while hints of violet and talc round out the scent and soften the blend."

6. Maggards "Groves of Italy" - IDK, kind of pleasant; maybe.

7. Maggards "Lilac" - smells rather artificial out of the container - lilac with a plastic note. IDK about this one, but at least there's no "feline component".........yet!

8. Maggards "Limes & Bergamot" - Yummy! I've actually used this one before, but it was a while ago, so thought I'd revisit it.

9. Maggards "London Barbershop" - Oh yeh! This is also one that I've used before a while ago. The scent out of the container is right up there near Mike's Barbershop, IMHO.

I look forward to giving these a whirl, as well as the other soaps that are inbound. It could very well happen, that in about 4 weeks, I will hit a major milestone of sorts - I'll just leave it at that for the time being.
1f60e.png

Holy smokes that’s a haul!

I’m glad the T&S West Indies works for you. It was like scent punch to the face for me (more intense than Sudsy Soapery Citrus and Bay), but the lather was very nice!

Looking forward to your reviews. I have Hallward’s Dream waiting as soon as I can get to it as well.

I physically laughed out loud when I read your descriptions of the first two T&S soaps. Flippin Great!

Looking forward to seeing how each one performs once lathered, though!

Back