The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Another quick question Chris as I am too old to remember and too lazy to look. Did you lap your soft and hard NW stones flat? If so, did you take them out to the 600 SiC?

Did someone say Bilbo?

Really nice looking setups!
LOL! Good one! Thanks, Chris.

Great write up on the arks Chris and some stellar set ups in there!
Thanks, Josh.

Thanks for the excellent summary on the stones Chris....So now you have the 3x8 DW Black, the 2x6 DW Black and the NW 2x6 for finishers, all seemingly very good. Now how to we get a progression from bevel set to finish consistently?
Thanks, Walt. And very good question!

Great read here Chris!
Thanks, Chad.

Great points on your stones. They are a little out of my element right now, but I am learning nonetheless. I LOVE your pics! Very clean looking!
Thanks, Don. Much appreciated.

How is the balance on that fig and nutmeg? Can you actually smell the nutmeg? I've had those on my radar and up on websites for months. Just haven't made the blind buy yet.
I don't detect any trace of nutmeg. I can't even begin to describe how this smells, other than to say that I totally dig it. PM me your addy and I'll send you a sample of the a/s if you want. The a/s and the soap (and the deo) smell exactly alike.

SR Shave #600:

I didn't even realize that I was knocking on #600 till I posted my last set of photos last night. But since it's 600, I know that none of you will be surprised at my razor and soap. I went with my favorite straight razor, this one......

Of course, the Wacker "Allround Blonde", the perfect razor! Did a rare (for me) 3 passes for a wonderful BBS(-). Love this blade!

And the soap, naturally, was my favorite soap (that is available for purchase)....

Stirling, ICED PINEAPPLE!!!

Finished up with Stirling's Iced Pineapple a/s balm, then Creed Aventus EdP. An excellent start to the day! And I'll be working on getting caught up with everyone over the next couple of days.

Great 600th! Over the hill and well on the way to your 1000th. Quite a milestone!

Congratulations on #600! I'm not sure I have had that many regular shaves...okay I am sure I have, but you get the point .

Good job hitting the 600 mark.

That stone looks amazing, are you doing pictures with a wet surface or is that completely dry? I have been meaning to ask that of you and Dave for some time now. If dry, I have a long time to go before I get that smooth.

Great 600th! Over the hill and well on the way to your 1000th. Quite a milestone!

Great shaves and reads. Congrats on 600

Congratulations on #600! I'm not sure I have had that many regular shaves...okay I am sure I have, but you get the point .

Thanks, Gents!

Good job hitting the 600 mark.

That stone looks amazing, are you doing pictures with a wet surface or is that completely dry? I have been meaning to ask that of you and Dave for some time now. If dry, I have a long time to go before I get that smooth.

Thanks, CBL. And that black ark is bone dry in both photos. It's a glass-like/mirror finish.

Congrats on the 600 Chris! Wacker and Iced Pineapple, I would expect nothing less for a milestone shave.

Congrats on #600 Chris! Nice comparison of the stones, and an Arkie as thick as the one in the pic will outlast your grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren lol.

Congrats on the 600 Chris! Wacker and Iced Pineapple, I would expect nothing less for a milestone shave.
Thanks, Walt.

Good lookin' wacker!
Thanks, Tom. It's a great razor!

IP for a hot Georgan day is the perfect soap! Awesome #600 Chris, and congrats!
Thanks, Josh; and you're right. BTW, I just ordered a tub of the A&E "Asian Plum".

Congrats on #600 Chris! Nice comparison of the stones, and an Arkie as thick as the one in the pic will outlast your grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren lol.
Thanks, Eric. And roger that!

SR Shave #601:

I decided to give the new soap a test run this morning. I had a nice mail call yesterday with this CRSW "Colonia Mediterranea", and a certain brush that "can't" be used till Sunday.

Anyway, this is the second CRSW "Glide" soap that I've used now (the first one being the "Morning Ghost" vetiver), and the name, "Colonia Mediterranea" is misleading, IMHO. Now, I had read reviews prior to ordering, and knew that it wasn't anywhere near an AdP Colonia style, but if someone had not read any reviews, they might be surprised I think. What I am surprised at is how nobody mentioned in the reviews (that I read) that this smells almost exactly like Acqua di Gio. Yep, to me, this is practically a dead-ringer for AdG. And the SOS of the soap is a solid 4/5, actually 5/5 initially. It's also very "cologney", perhaps too much so. If you really love AdG, then this would be a soap you'd have to have. Another thought: it's quite similar to Panna Crema Nuavia Verde, so if you already have that, then no need to get this particular CRSW. I actually favor the scent of the Nuavia Verde over this CRSW. Performance-wise, the Rudy Vey w/Game Changer synth whipped up a slick lather, and I find that it's better than the Nuavia, for me. With that said, in this scent profile, again, I favor the Verde overall.

The razor today was the FWE Special. This is one that I had honed with an all ark progression after the Chosera 1K a few weeks ago. I had used the Natural Whetstone soft, hard, and translucent stones, and I looked at my notes and saw that it was a smooth, comfortable edge, but the keeness needed to be kicked up a notch. So last night, I took it the new Dan's Whetstone black ark for some more finishing. Well, that turned out to be a bust. I managed two passes for CCS(+) then grabbed a DE for some touch up. The edge did not get sharper, and instead, became quite harsh. I'm perplexed. Oh well.

Finished up with Kiehl's aftershave balm, then of course, AdG EdT.

Nice review of the soap Chris. AdG is a wonderful scent, though I'll stick with Nuavia Verde if I want one a soap like it. Bummer about the edge, the confusion of natural stones strikes again.

Nice recovery with the safety razor when the edge wasn't up to snuff! That Glide scent sounds nice...though I've got some Verde sitting around.

Back