The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Well, weepers aside, that sounds like it was a wonderful shave, Chris! Hope work goes well for you!

I think I am going to save up my pennies to get a Koraat 14 2.0. Hopefully it will have at least similar performance to a Fili 14.
I remember one guy on another forum hemming and hawing about this razor after the first shave. A very experienced straight user, too. Is this a razor one has to get accustomed to?

Oh, and about how much does it cost?

I remember one guy on another forum hemming and hawing about this razor after the first shave. A very experienced straight user, too. Is this a razor one has to get accustomed to?

Oh, and about how much does it cost?

Base price is ~$260. Really affordable IMO compared to most customs of this caliber.

Not sure who you are referring to, but it shaves like any other extra hollow razor.

I can see someone having buyers remorse, but not because the razor lacks in any way. In the end it is still just a razor ...that is awesome in every way. Compared to most other razors it might be bigger and heavier but that’s to be expected with 6-7/8 and upsizes. When you see the quality and precision it’s hard to believe Koraat is essentially an artisan shop where the owner has a lot of hands on ...and hand hones. Dave can tell you more.

BTW I think my leaonardo di Vinci custom was in the $400 range. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? To me, yes.

Catching up again Chris!

Great reads, shaves, and pictures!

Congrats on the Trans Ark edge.

Thanks, Gents. Back in town. And....must....resist....Koraat.....
1f60e.png

BTW, soap samples that I used whilst on the road:

(1) Mystic Water "Almond Vanilla" - scent was "meh", although a solid 3/5 on the SOS scale; but kind of a mundane "cologney" type thing.

(2) Mystic Water "Oatmeal Stout" - now the scent on this one pleasantly surprised me! This was 4/5 on the SOS scale and rather delightful. There is no beer note detectable (a good thing for me), but rather a wonderful chocolate vibe. Now I don't usually like that in a shaving soap, but this one is an exception. Plus, it's got a some other stuff rounding it out nicely; this would be "puck worthy" for me.

(3) Truefitt & Hill "West Indian Limes" cream - let me state up front, that to me, in terms of performance, T&H are THE most over-hyped, over-rated, and definitely over-priced, shaving creams I've ever used. I've used a few, but this one was new to me; but it's still a dog in terms of performance - pitiful. Now, T&H scents, on the other hand, can be quite enjoyable (I really like Grafton, for example); however, this West Indian Limes is not one of them. This smelled so artificial it was laughable, not to mention a funky soapy thing going on in the background. I disliked this one greatly!

Catching up Chris, lovely photos and shave and I agree on most of the T&H soaps but 1805 with very little water and a dribble can be a great lather, that is the only one I like, LOL

Nice recap Chris...but as far as the soaps are concerned, they didn't even meet the Meatloaf standard of "2/3 ain't bad"...

Catching up Chris, lovely photos and shave and I agree on most of the T&H soaps but 1805 with very little water and a dribble can be a great lather, that is the only one I like, LOL
Thanks, Dave. And I haven't tried the 1805 nor any of the T&H soaps - just the shaving creams (and aftershaves).

Thanks for the quick reviews.

EDIT:
Oh, and ... Must. Buy. Koraat.
1f60b.png
Thanks, Doug. And roger that!

Glad you enjoyed 1/3 of your new soap trys!
It's all good.
1f60e.png

SR Shave #591:

It was difficult to wind down last night, so I decided to hone a razor. My real motivation was to try out the new "black translucent" (from Natural Whetstone). So I did a full Arkansas progression with the F.W.E. Special. The bevel didn't need a complete re-set, so I went: soft ark, hard ark, black translucent, normal stropping.

This morning was the test. After two very comfortable passes, I'm happy to report a perfectly acceptable DFS(-). So I'll give this edge a grade of: B+

Could it be sharper? Sure. Can I get a sharper edge with my all synthetic set-up? Yepper, but I'm always curious as to what I can get out of a natural stone. Is it sharp enough? Yes. Is it smooth enough? Yes. The next time, I might give it some diamond paste stropping to see if it'll bring up the keeness a bit more. But I'm actually happy enough with this Ark edge, as is.

The rest of the set up was quite enjoyable. The Rudy Vey brush w/Manchurian 2-band whipped up a fantastic lather from the Declaration Grooming soap. I totally dig this brush and highly recommend it!

Finished up with some Alcolado Glacial (sample) aftershave, and later, will probably go with either Zoologist Panda, or Bleu de Chanel.

Great job on the honing of the F.W.E. razor! I'm partial to a more smooth than keen razor, so that sounds like you hit it out of the park with that result!

nice contrast on the Photo Chris, and did the blade stick on the new arkie?

Great mini reviews and a great shave and picture Chris! Good job on the Arkansas honing.

Hey hey hey, I like West Indian Lime! I guess to me a lot of other very citrusy soaps have more a note of the bitter peel vs the fruit that I like this one for that.

Great job on the honing of the F.W.E. razor! I'm partial to a more smooth than keen razor, so that sounds like you hit it out of the park with that result!
Thanks, Josh.

nice contrast on the Photo Chris, and did the blade stick on the new arkie?
Thanks, Dave. Oh yeh, definitely stuck, and in quick order too - was pulling it along like a squeegy!

Great mini reviews and a great shave and picture Chris! Good job on the Arkansas honing.
Thanks, Craig.

Hey hey hey, I like West Indian Lime! I guess to me a lot of other very citrusy soaps have more a note of the bitter peel vs the fruit that I like this one for that.
LOL! I was wondering how long it would take someone to chime in saying that they liked the West Indian Lime!
1f60e.png

Back