The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Saturday's Shave:

I was hoping to use the "just-returned-and-honed-from-Dave" full hollow Bengall this morning, but alas, I just didn't have enough time and didn't want to be rushed. I'm almost out the door for work, so instead, I grabbed the Merkur 34 (w/PermaSharp blade), Rudy Vey Shavemac Finest, and TOBS Mr. Taylor's. Also, this is one of my recycled photos, so it has saved me time as well.

I totally dig "Mr. Taylor's" - wonderful scent! It was all Mr. Taylor's: bar soap, shaving cream, aftershave, and cologne. And now I'm off to work. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Can't say I'll ever by TOBS cream again, but I might track down the Mr. Taylor balm. Its such a classic barbershop scent and the first shave product I started with.

I love the Mr. Taylor's scent! But I'm with Derek...I likely won't buy TOBS again.

Nice shaves Chris. I hope you give yourself enough time soon to use the straight.

Great shave Chris!

I have to agree with Chad, there will always be some TOBs in my den.

LOL, the responses to your shave turned into a voting yea or nea for TOBS. I'll vote Yea with Jermyn Street being one of by top 10 if not 5 scents.

Hokey Smokes! I got so far behind! This was a great 4 page catchup! It's so nice to see the board on a full sized screen again! Amazing reads and pics Chris!

Chris, a question for you....

I've read that you refer to Mikes and Mystic Water as retail soaps. Does that mean that you buy them in a store locally?

To me, a retail soap would be VDH, Williams, CO Bigelow, B&BW Maca Root, etc, that I can just go to the store and buy. Mikes and MW, I would just call artisan soaps, because unless I go to Pasteurs, Q Brothers, Maggards or similar Shaving Mecca, I'd need to order directly from the source.

Thanks, Gents! I guess I'll have to vote "yes" on TOBS creams. I used to not hold them in high regard, however, I've recently discovered how nice they work for me - especially the post shave face feel. I've tried just about all the TOBS creams, and 3 are standouts for me: Mr. Taylor's, the Grapefruit, and the Avocado.

BTW, just got back in town. The soaps I used whilst on the road were more Mystic Water samples:

1. "Tea Tree Plus"
2. "Bergamot, Lemongrass, & Rose Geranium"
3. "Lilac"

All three produced most excellent lathers! They very much liked the harder water in North and South Dakota than I have at home. They were "elite" status in performance. The scents, however, were just OK for me. I really had high hopes for the Bergamot, Lemongrass, & Rose Geranium, and while it's a very pleasant scent, it's just way, way, way too subtle and weak - it garners only a 1/5 on the SOS scale - sigh. The Tea Tree Plus was not a bad scent, but "meh", and also about a 1/5. The Lilac was surprisingly nice, and about a 3/5 on the SOS scale, but lilac is a scent that just doesn't "wow" me enough to be "puck worthy". And yes, the lilac was all floral, no "feline component" like a certain other lilac named product!
1f60e.png

Chris, a question for you....

I've read that you refer to Mikes and Mystic Water as retail soaps. Does that mean that you buy them in a store locally?

To me, a retail soap would be VDH, Williams, CO Bigelow, B&BW Maca Root, etc, that I can just go to the store and buy. Mikes and MW, I would just call artisan soaps, because unless I go to Pasteurs, Q Brothers, Maggards or similar Shaving Mecca, I'd need to order directly from the source.

Well, actually, I use the term, "retail" to differentiate between any soap that is available for purchase, vice the home-made soaps of Chris L and Walt. Maybe I should say, "commercial" going forward? I'm open to suggestions.
1f60e.png

Thanks, Gents! I guess I'll have to vote "yes" on TOBS creams. I used to not hold them in high regard, however, I've recently discovered how nice they work for me - especially the post shave face feel. I've tried just about all the TOBS creams, and 3 are standouts for me: Mr. Taylor's, the Grapefruit, and the Avocado.

BTW, just got back in town. The soaps I used whilst on the road were more Mystic Water samples:

1. "Tea Tree Plus"
2. "Bergamot, Lemongrass, & Rose Geranium"
3. "Lilac"

All three produced most excellent lathers! They very much liked the harder water in North and South Dakota than I have at home. They were "elite" status in performance. The scents, however, were just OK for me. I really had high hopes for the Bergamot, Lemongrass, & Rose Geranium, and while it's a very pleasant scent, it's just way, way, way too subtle and weak - it garners only a 1/5 on the SOS scale - sigh. The Tea Tree Plus was not a bad scent, but "meh", and also about a 1/5. The Lilac was surprisingly nice, and about a 3/5 on the SOS scale, but lilac is a scent that just doesn't "wow" me enough to be "puck worthy". And yes, the lilac was all floral, no "feline component" like a certain other lilac named product!
1f60e.png

Glad you like the Mystic Water. It's performance really is top notch and has been around a while...well before many of the artisans that have come aboard lately. I haven't tried any of those scents...but I think some of the other scents I have tried are a bit stronger.

Glad you like the Mystic Water. It's performance really is top notch and has been around a while...well before many of the artisans that have come aboard lately. I haven't tried any of those scents...but I think some of the other scents I have tried are a bit stronger.

Thanks, Don. I've now used 31 different MW soaps, and still have 10 more samples; I plan to continue to use up the samples on the road. And I have to agree with you that some are strongly scented, and some less so - kind of runs the gamut.

SR Shave #588:

Today was the first chance I had to check out the Bengall full hollow since Dave honed it. He did a stellar job, as I had anticipated. I did just two passes and was going to walk away with a perfectly nice DFS; however.......I was enjoying the soap so much, that I decided to grab the Merkur for just one more pass. Well, caught a couple of minor weepers - guess the first two passes were closer than I had thought! Still a great shave. And many thanks, Dave!

So what soap was I enjoying so much? Stirling "Piacenza". This is one of my favorite Stirling soaps and one of my favorite commercial soaps ever - I totally dig it! I think that they really nailed the scent of AdP Colonia with this Piacenza soap. And the matching aftershave is a dead ringer for AdP, IMHO - even better than Fine's Italian Citrus; but both are excellent aftershaves.

Back