The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

WHOA! I'm almost a month behind in posting shaves!! Geezzz!
Major-Catch-Up-Time.jpg
Round1.png

11-6-2019
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4 plate)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic Angel Hair Synthetic 20mm
Soap: Fine Accoutrements Platinum
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block, and Humphreys
After Shave: Fine Accoutrements Platinum After Shave
Cologne: Fine Accoutrements Platinum EdT

Fine's Platinum was calling to me from the shave cabinet today. Love the performance and scent of this soap! Whipped up an excellent lather with ease using the Classic brush.

3 passes and some clean up for a BBS shave. No nicks, weepers, or alum sting. Very nice!

Finished with the matching aftershave and EdT so I'm smelling great!

Setup 11-6-2019
Setup-11-6-2019.jpg

11-8-2019
Straight Razor Shave #353

Razor: Geo H. Weyer Vulcan Steel
Brush: Turn-N-Shave (unlabeled) Gold and Black with Tuxedo Synthetic Knot - 28mm
Soap: Soap Commander Influence
After Shave: Soap Commander Influence Aftershave Balm
Cologne: Christian Dior Fahrenheit EdT

Soap Commander Influence as selected by my nose for today's shave. A very nice scent! Whipped up a great lather with ease, as expected, with the Turn-N-Shave.

3 passes and some clean up with the Vulcan and I'm BBS. No nicks, one slight weeper, and just a barely noticeable alum sting in a few areas.

Finished with the matching balm and a few vasilis of the Fahrenheit. Great pairing!
Setup-11-8-2019.jpg

11-9-2019
Razor: Edwin Jagger Extra Long Double Edge Safety Razor, Chrome DEL8914BL
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Green Cashmere Synthetic 24mm
Soap: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Irish Green Tweed Sheep Milk Formula
After Shave: Cremo Skin Clearing Post Shave Balm Unscented
Cologne: Alt. Fragrance Mohair No. 18 EdP

Ran across this tub of Lisa's soap and realized it had been a while since I used one of her soaps. Grabbed the Yaqi brush and whipped up a great lather in no time.

Hadn't used the Edwin Jagger in long time so I decided to used it for today's shave. 3 passes and some clean up for a BBS shave with no nicks, weepers, or alum sting.

Finished with the Cremo balm and some spritzes of the Mohair. I'm smelling very nice!

Setup 11-9-2019
Setup-11-9-2019.jpg

11-12-2019
Straight Razor Shave #354

Razor: Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Bishop "Party on Bourbon Street" with Elite Razor 28mm Manchurian White Knot
Soap: CBL Cigar Shop Indian
After Shave: Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto After Shave
Cologne: Jimmy Choo Man Intense EdT

Realized I hadn't used one of Chris's soaps in a while so I decided to rectify that! Cigar Shop Indian was the scent for today's shave. Whipped up an excellent lather with the Wolf Whisker's as expected, with ease.

3 passes and some clean up with the Klas for a Nice BBS- shave. A couple of tiny weepers, no nicks, and just a little alum sting on the neck.

A big splash of the Bootlegger's and some spritzes of the Jimmy Choo to finish things up. A very good pairing IMHO.

Setup 11-12-2019
Setup-11-12-2019.jpg

11-15-2019
Razor: Gillette Heritage
Brush: Saponificio Varesino SV 2.0 Shaving Brush in Ebony Wood
Soap: Oz Shaving Co Foxville
After Shave: Oz Shaving Co Foxville Post Shave Tonic
Cologne: Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme EAU Électrique EdT

I choose Oz Shaving's Foxville as the scent for today's shave. I do like this scent and the soap and after shaves performance are top notch. Had no issues whipping up a great lather with ease.

Used the Gillette Heritage for this have. This razor is a "chrome plated pot metal". I wish that they had used brass or stainless. Yes I know it would have cost more, but I think it would have been worth it. That being said, I did get a great shave for this razor. I would say it is equal to a Tech in aggressiveness. For me I would have liked the handle to be just a little longer, but I think they were going for more a "Travel Size" razor. The weight and balance were good.
3 passes and some clean up and I'm BBS with no nicks, weepers, or alum sting.

A splash of the Tonic to finish up and then a few vasilis of the EAU Electrique. A nice paring!

Setup 11-15-2019
Setup-11-15-2019.jpg

11-16-2019
Straight Razor Shave #355

Razor: Buck Salient #138 of 250
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Disruptor Synthetic
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Oud-Santal
After Shave: Le Pere Lucien Oud-Santal After Shave
Cologne: Alt. Fragrance F'N Fantastic No. 15 EdP

Was in an Oud mood today so I went with the Le Pere Lucien Oud-Santal. What a great Oud and Sandalwood combination! I love this scent. Had a little trouble coaxing a lather out of this soap. Wound up with a great lather, but it took some effort with the Disruptor.

HELLO MR. MURPHY!!!
Yes just I as was finishing up the 1st pass with the Buck, I somehow managed to get my right thumb on the edge. Yes there was blood, lots of blood. Had to stop the shave and apply 1st aid and a band-aid and some tape. Really couldn't control the razor, or maybe I was just nervous. The Heritage was still hanging in the razor stand so I grabbed it and finished up. In the end a nice BBS shave. Other than the thumb no other body fluid seepage. No alum sting to speak of.

Finished with the matching after shave and some spritzes of the F*N Fantastic. A great pairing!

Setup 11-16-2019
Setup-11-16-2019.jpg

That's all for today. I'll do my best to finish catching up tomorrow.

Great set ups in there, Craig. I pulled the trigger on a Heritage as well lol. Couldn't resist for the same reason as yours.

A late Happy Thanksgiving Craig! And that Murphy Visit sounds really bad! But man...you sure are using some serious High Quality soaps there.

The Heritage Razor is a good looking razor...but from what everyone is saying is that it's nothing special.

Have a wonderful weekend Craig!

Nice setups and pics as always Craig. Sorry about the Massacre on the 16th
Thanks Dave!
I hope you and yours enjoyed the bird!
Thanks Larry, we did! Hope you did too!
Great set ups in there, Craig. I pulled the trigger on a Heritage as well lol. Couldn't resist for the same reason as yours.
Thanks Eric!
A late Happy Thanksgiving Craig! And that Murphy Visit sounds really bad! But man...you sure are using some serious High Quality soaps there.

The Heritage Razor is a good looking razor...but from what everyone is saying is that it's nothing special.

Have a wonderful weekend Craig!
Thanks Don!
I'm just glad it was my thumb and not my face. That would have left a scar for sure!
Yeah nothing to write home about on the Hertiage, but a good shaver for me.

Okay I'm so far behind in my journal entries that I'm just going to post setups and pictures (fortunately I have been taking pictures), unless there was something new or different about the shave. I really don't remember many of these shaves, all were great shave with no major body fluid seepage or other drama.

11-18-2019
Razor: Delta Echo Crimson Tide Fatboy G1 (set on 6)
Blade: Feather
Brush: Stirling Soap Co. Finest Badger Shave Brush - 26mm
Soap: A. J. Murray's Kentucky Bourbon
After Shave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods After Shave
Cologne: Duke Cannon Bourbon Solid Cologne

Celebrating the Alabama Crimson Tide 50 to 17 win over The Citadel Bulldogs
Roll Tide Roll.jpg

Setup 11-18-2019
Setup-11-18-2019.jpg

11-20-2019
Straight Razor Shave #356

Razor: CBLindsay Gold Dollar Mod
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Soap: RazoRock “What The Puck?!” Blue Barbershop
After Shave: RazoRock Blue Barbershop After Shaving Splash
Cologne: Versace Eros Eau De Toilette

Setup 11-20-2019
Setup-11-20-2019.jpg

11-22-2019
Straight Razor Shave #357

Razor: Union Razor Cutlery Co.
Brush: The Shaving Cadre 1st Anniversary Sorrentino Limited Edition Brush Shockwood with 24mm Timberwolf Synthetic Knot
Soap: Oleo Soapworks Irving Park
After Shave: Oleo Soapworks Irving Park Aftershave Splash
Cologne: Versace Eros Eau De Toilette

Setup 11-22-2019
Setup-11-22-2019.jpg

Classic Shaving had a sale on the Occam's Safety Razor. At about $52 for an all stainless razor with 2 caps and 3 plates, I just couldn't pass it up. I got the complete set Smooth Cap, Ridge Line Cap, Closed Comb Scalloped Base, Partial Open Comb Base, and Full Open Comb Base.

Occams-Razor-A.jpg

Occams-Razor-B.jpg

Occams-Razor-C.jpg

That seems like a sweet deal. But I’m telling myself I don’t need to explore more razors.

11-23-2019
Razor: Occam's Safety Razor with Ridge Line Cap and Closed Comb Scalloped Base
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63
After Shave: Pré de Provence No. 63 After Shave Balm
Cologne: Pré De Provence No. 63 Pour Homme Eau De Toilette

1st shave with the Occam's and it was a great shave. The razor has a nice weight to it and good balance. I got a BBS+ shave with no issues. The Ridge Line cap is supposed to help a someone new to double edge shaving find and hold the correct angle. That feature didn't really stick out to me, but I guess I can see how it could help someone who has never used a safety razor before. The Closed Comb Scalloped Base gives a nice mild shave with minimal blade feel.

Setup 11-23-2019
Setup-11-23-2019.jpg

11-25-2019
Razor: Delta Echo Crimson Tide Fatboy G1 (set on 6)
Brush: Yaqi Barber Pole Two Band Badger 24mm
Soap: Proraso Red
After Shave: Proraso Red After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Caswell-Massey Sandalwood Cologne

Celebrating the Alabama Crimson Tide 66 to 3 win over The Western Carolina Catamounts
Roll-Tide.jpg

Setup 11-25-2019
Setup-11-25-2019.jpg

So this happened. My son was involved in a accident and his car was totaled. Fortunately no one was injured! All the air bags on a 2007 Maxima deployed, so that was a total loss for sure.
SWMBO and my Mother decided that the best thing to do was to give him my 2006 Dodge Ram pickup and get me a new one. So who was I to argue? ;-)

My new 2019 Ram 1500 (New) Laramie 4x4.
2019-Ram-1500-A.jpg2019-Ram-1500-B.jpg2019-Ram-1500-C.jpg2019-Ram-1500-D.jpg2019-Ram-1500-E.jpg2019-Ram-1500-F.jpg

11-27-2019
Razor: Occam's Safety Razor with Smooth Cap and Partial Open Comb Base
Brush: AP Shaving Co. 24MM SynBad w/ Elegant Emerald Handle
Soap: Elevate Grooming Manly Man Shaving Soap
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block, and Thayers
After Shave: Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic Winter Reserve
Cologne: Penhaligon's Endymoin Eau De Toilette

I used the Partial Open Comb base and the Smooth cap and got another great shave. I would say this plate is equal to a Gillette Fatboy or Slim set on mid range, or a R3 or R3 plate on a Rockwell.

Setup 11-27-2019
Setup-11-27-2019.jpg

Last edited:
Back