The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
First Things First!
I'm honored to have been included in the inaugural group of members of this forum! I've come to know and respect the other founding members of this cadre and consider all of them friends, even though I have never met any of them. The amount of shaving and grooming knowledge represented by this group is vast and priceless. A great group of gentlemen that are more than willing to share our shared passion of Wet Shaving.
So kick back and pour yourself a drink. I hope you find my ramblings useful and entertaining!

Remember there are no stupid questions here, so ask away. If I don't know the answer I'm sure one of the other member will!

A little about myself.
I'm southern born and have lived the South my entire life. I'm married with 1 son who is 28 years old. (He is also a Wet Shaver, yeah I converted him.)
I'm a Electronic Maintenance Tech, which is a fancy way of saying I fix and maintain the equipment where I work at. Really I'm a multi-craft maintenance tech with emphasis on Electrical repairs. Most all of my career has been maintenance or maintenance related.
I've always enjoyed fixing things and figuring out how things work, so my career fits me well.

I enjoy an occasional cigar or bowl of tobacco in a pipe. I'm enjoy whiskeys of all types and wine on occasion.

I used to avidly collect knifes, and I enjoy shooting and hunting. I have a small collection of guns and also load and reload ammo.

The only sport I really follow is College Football, ROLL TIDE!

What follows in this post is a brief account of how I got into Traditional Wet Shaving.

December 5, 2015
This was the day I started back into the world of Wet Shaving after many years of shaving with a Braun Series 7 electric razor. Long story short it broke and I didn't want to spend the money to fix it or replace it. I was never really happy with the shaves I got from the Braun. They weren't that great and took too long to get just a Close Comfortable Shave (CCS) or Damn Fine Shave (DFS) shave. Not to mention the razor burn when I did, nor the fact that I didn't even know what those terms meant at the time.

I remember how quick and easy the multi-bladed cartridges and canned goo were. Never really thought about the shave results then. Just squirted out some goo, smeared it on, and one pass shave and done.

I just didn't want to pay for the cartridges, and I had heard about Dollar Shave Club. While researching it, I came across Harry's and the general consensus was that Harry's was better quality and you didn't have to sign up for monthly shipments, just order as you needed.

All the time I kept seeing references to Wet Shaving and Traditional Wet Shaving. So I started looking into that and discovered that the old type razors, Double Edge (DE), Safety Razors, Single Edge (SE), Injectors, Shavettes, and Straight razors where the way to go. The canned goo was hardly ever mentioned, instead Shaving Brushes making a lather with either Soap or Cream was the best way.

I liked the fact that the blades were low cost, I mean really low cost compared to cartridges and from what I gathered a tube of cream could last for 5 or 6 months. Yeah I was going to save a lot of money with this! (HAHAHAHAHAHA)

After doing more research I placed some orders and started my journey into Traditional Wet Shaving. I had to prove to my self first that everything I was reading was correct so I started with a Gillette Mach 3 and a Harry's starter kit. I also ordered a couple of creams and an Edwin Jagger Double Edge Razor.

This is what I started my journey with:

The first thing I learned was the 3 pass shave with the Mach 3 and canned goo. WOW my face hadn't been that smooth in a long time! The Harry's worked great on a single pass shave, but I couldn't do multiple passes with it. Too much irritation.

I started using the Brush and Cream and WOW I was hooked. I didn't know if the DE was going to give a better shave, but I new I was never going back to canned goo.

I new there would be a learning curve with the DE but I was committed to learn it and see if the shaves was better. About a month later I was consistently getting DFS+ and Baby Butt Smooth shaves with no nicks, weepers, or irritation. I had learned the meaning of "No Pressure" and actually enjoying shaving.

I took to heart the advice of not changing but one thing at a time, and started testing different blades. After a while I had found 3 that worked great for me and I could get BBS++ shaves using any of them.

Then I started trying more DE's, brushes, soaps, and creams, not to mention the After Shaves and Colognes.

So that brings us up today. I have dozens of soaps, creams, after shaves, colognes, more than a couple of dozen brushes, and about a dozen DE's that I use. I have currently have 7 straight razors and I'm 137 shaves into my straight razor journey. I've restored 3 of the razors that I'm using. I'm also honing all of my razors.

What follows is the continuing journey into the wonderful world of Traditional Wet Shaving. I'll be throwing in some other interest also, mainly Cigars, Pipes, and Whiskey.

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone might find it useful.

Last edited:
3-16-2018
Straight Razor Shave #138

Pre Shave: CBL Preshave
Razor: Grandad's Union Razor Cutlery Co.
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Bishop "Party on Bourbon Street" with Elite Razor 28mm Manchurian White Knot
Soap: Maggards Razors London Barber Shop
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Maggards Razors London Barber Shop After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme EdT

Nothing too much to say about the software used in this shave. The scent of this soap and after shave is one of my favorite barbershop scents and the soap and after shave perform great for me.

Whipped up a great lather and time for the 1st shave after the rescale on the straight. I did do a touch up on the edge with the Trans Ark. The edge performed great. 3½ passes with no nicks or weepers. Alum provide very little sting. A nice BBS+ shave.

Finished with the ASL and a few spritzes of the Rive Gauche, a good pairing.

Setup 3-16-2018

3-17-2018
Straight Razor Shave #139

Pre Shave: Urth Face Scrub and Wash
Razor: Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna.
Brush: Stirling Soap Co Synthetic 2-Band 24mm
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
After Shave: Suavecito Premium Blends Whiskey Bar After Shave Lotion
Cologne: Cremo Bourbon and Oak EdT

Decided to use the Williams today. Whipped up a great lather with the Stirling Synthetic.

If you haven't mastered lathering Williams, you really should work at it. This is the oldest commercially produced shaving soap in the world and it's cheap! The lather is slick, has great cushion, and residual slickness.

I started with the Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna and the 1st pass went well with just one weeper and nick just below the lip, which was totally my fault, bad approach angle. However on the XTG pass I picked up several more weeper on the chin. I didn't want to tempt Mr. Murphy anymore so I grabbed the Edwin Jagger and did the ATG and cleam up. A nice BBS shave with no alum sting except on the chin.

Finished with a good splash of the Suavectio and followed with the Cremo Bourbon and Oak. A very nice paring.
The scent description on the box of the Cremo says: A smooth lively scent evocative of a spirited bourbon. I'll go with that and add it is heavy on the woodsy scent. Nice and dark and I like it. Silage is okay and longevity it a good 6 hours.

Setup 3-17-2018

Hope everyone has had a great Saint Patrick's Day. I'm enjoying some Jameson's Black Irish Whiskey to celebrate along with a Canamio cigar at my cigar lounge tonight.

Awesome intro post!

I actually accumulated a couple of pucks of Williams and haven’t tried it at all. It just hasn’t held appeal compared to all the scents out there. But maybe it’s time.

NurseDave said:
Awesome intro post!

I actually accumulated a couple of pucks of Williams and haven’t tried it at all. It just hasn’t held appeal compared to all the scents out there. But maybe it’s time.

Thanks Dave!

Are the Williams vintage or modern? The modern is what everyone seems to have problems with.

They were included with other items so I assume they are new. How do you tell the difference?

NurseDave said:
They were included with other items so I assume they are new. How do you tell the difference?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think is correct.

If the "Mug" looks like this, then it is modern.

If not you have to look and see where it was made, which is written on the box. Where it was made will determine to some degree the age.
Here are 3 examples.
This is Cranford

This is referred to as Beecham

This is Glen Rock

I'm not sure of the dates of each of these. Maybe I think KJ @Thevez2 is probably the Williams expert here, maybe he could start a thread and include dating and formula information with pictures. There was a great thread on you know where, but the pictures were hosted on photobucket and are no longer visible.

Quijote said:
Great reads.

Thanks Don!

Dagwoodz said:
That's a great first post Craig!!

Thanks Josh!

Great stuff Craig! I had no idea that Cremo had branched out to colognes.

Smattayu said:
Great stuff Craig! I had no idea that Cremo had branched out to colognes.

Thanks Eric!

Yeah me either. I always check out the shaving section in any store that I'm in. Just happened to see them.

The only puck of Williams I have came in the Bonus Bingo Box KJ gave out during the blackout game we had. Haven’t opened it yet to even attempt to lather it

DocHoliday0831 said:
The only puck of Williams I have came in the Bonus Bingo Box KJ gave out during the blackout game we had. Haven’t opened it yet to even attempt to lather it

Well you should! When you get a Williams lather dialed in, there isn't much out there that is slicker. Chris L. uses Williams as his slickness goal for his soaps.

Best advice I can give you is to drown the puck, the night before you want to use it, and just let it sit under water over night. Then dump the water, into a cup to use while making the lather with, but not the cup you are lathering in. Then using a moist, but not wet brush load from the puck, then move to bowl/scuttle and add water a little at a time till you achieve that great Williams lather. A new puck of modern Williams is super thirsty!

clyde72 said:
Craig ~ I smoke cigars because it's cheaper than therapy!
“I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.” ~ Raymond Chandler
sounds like an extended version of how I lather my SV soaps. Will try that out sometime soon maybe.

It takes some serious voodoo to lather modern Williams lol. Glad you are here Craig!

3-19-2018
Preshave: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Cleansing Gel
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable I2 set on 6
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Parker Silvertip
Cream: Proraso Red
After Shave: Proraso Red After Shave Lotion

Just wanted a no muss no fuss shave this morning. Kinda hard to bet this hardware and software for providing that. Whipped up a great lather in no time, 3 passes and just a tad of clean up. No nicks or weepers. Basically no alum sting to speak of. BBS achieved.
A good splash of the ASL and I'm good to go!

Setup 3-19-2018

Well supposedly Jim Cantore is in town, along with a passel of storm chasers, I hope and pray they made the trip just to take in the local scenery and the Space and Rocket Center. We are under a tornado watch at the moment till 11pm. 4 Tornado Warnings with one confirmed tornado about 90 miles west of us. Baseball size hail reported. National Weather Service has issued a PDS (Particularly Dangerous Situation) for all of North Alabama. I'm going to be watching the weather closely, could be a long night.

Back