The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Clyde72's Shaving Journal

Cvargo said:
I can't find anything wrong with that shave.
Thanks Chad!
DocHoliday0831 said:
Baseball size hail is fairly substantial!! Good shave though.
That is is TJ! Thanks!

So far the weather is missing us. Going to the north and south of us it looks like.

The severe weather went to the north and south of us. Tornado watch has been canceled for here.

For those of you who use Soap Commander products. A reported EF3 (will have to be confirmed) tornado touched down about 1/4 mile from their house. They are okay and no damage to their home.

I saw the posts from Soap Commander. Was happy to see that there home is safe. God knows that family has gone through enough.

Nice shave. Glad the severe weather missed you. That storm system rolled through here over night. Will have to check for hail damage at some point today.

I was watching on the news about the storms in your area. That's some large hails and with it destroyed roofing. I am wrapping my brain around baseball sized hail!

Cvargo said:
I saw the posts from Soap Commander. Was happy to see that there home is safe. God knows that family has gone through enough.

A former co-worker of mines house was destroyed near Soap Commander.
Quijote said:
Nice shave. Glad the severe weather missed you. That storm system rolled through here over night. Will have to check for hail damage at some point today.

Hope you don't have any damage!

I didn't see any. From the weather reports, it appears that it went just south of us.

good stuff man! i don't know if its my eyes or the forum, but the pics look top notch!

It took me a little while to get around to reading your journal...awesome stuff. I am excited to have you as part of the cadre, your journal is a beautiful way for the newer guys to get a feel for what’s in store.

Sskim3 said:
good stuff man! i don't know if its my eyes or the forum, but the pics look top notch!

Thanks Tom!

DocHoliday0831 said:
Nice setup Craig!

Thanks TJ!

CBLindsay said:
It took me a little while to get around to reading your journal...awesome stuff. I am excited to have you as part of the cadre, your journal is a beautiful way for the newer guys to get a feel for what’s in store.

Thanks Chris!
I'm excited to be here!

Okay I've fallen behind, which is something that I don't like doing, but anyway here is the catch up.

3-21-2018
Straight Razor Shave #140

Pre Shave: Bull Dog Original Face Wash
Razor: Klas Tornblom Eskilstuna.
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Synthetic Shaving Brush, Marble Handle
Cream: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel After Shave Balm

Love the scent of this soap and ASB. Almond and Cherry are the predominant scents. Captain's Choice is a great product with excellent customer service!
Whipped up an excellent lather with the Maggards brush. 3½ passes with the Swedish Steel and I'm BBS. Little to no alum sting and only 1 slight weeper.

Finished with the ASB which is a great balm. My face is feels great!

Setup 3-21-2018

3-23-2018
Preshave: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Cleansing Gel
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Black Handle Flare Tip S4
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Brush: Crown King The Tali Long Rider Suave Shaving Brush - 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Italian Barber The Beach
After Shave: Florida Water Cologne
Cologne: Florida Water Cologne

I was just wanting a quick and easy shave this afternoon, so I went with the Super Speed. The Crown King brush whipped up a great lather with the Beach Soap. 3 passes and some touch up and I'm BBS++, no wait I'll call this a Grail Worthy shave!! No alum sting at all.
Finished with the Florida water both as an aftershave and cologne.
I'm smooth and smelling good!

Setup 3-23-2018

As typical I'm headed to the cigar lounge. General Cigar Event there tonight and I scored with the following:

Bought 20 cigars and would up with 5 free cigars, an ash tray, a punch, a lighter, and a gift set with a lighter and 6 more cigars free!

3-24-2018
Straight Razor Shave #141

Pre Shave: Urth Face Scrub and Wash
Razor: Allegany Instrument Corp. WP 5/8 cira 1920 to 1940
Brush: Saponificio Varesino SV 2.0 Shaving Brush in Ebony wood
Soap: PannaCreama Nuàvia - Rossa
After Shave: Paladin Shaving After Shave Balm
Cologne: Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa EdT

This shave is brought to you by in no small part by cmh737 aka Chris H. I bought the brush from him and he PIF'd my the Soap.
1st of all the soap is awesome! It probably would have been along time before I got to use this soap if he hadn't sent this to partial to me. The scent of this soap is great!!!! I love it. According to PannaCreama's website the scent pyramid is:
Woody
Tobacco, Indonesian Patchouli, Virginia Cederwood
Woody Oriental
Agarwood, Caldeonian Sandalwood
Amber
Amber, Musk

I used the SV method (bloom soap with a layer of water on top, leave while showering, dump bloom water into scuttle, us a squeezed out brush to load, add drops of water as need) to lather the soap.
The strength of scent in the bowl is a good 2.5 of 5, bloomed it opens up to a 3.5 of 5, and lathered it a is a full on 5 of 5 filling the den with the aroma! The scent last throughout the shave. Performance is excellent! Easy to lather, great slickness, cushion/glide, and residual slickness. Yes this soap is expensive, but the scent alone is worth the price. When I use this up, I'll have to find a way to purchase this! Thanks Chris!!!

I had a lapse of concentration while doing the chin on the WTG pass and gave myself a nick and and then immediately followed that with another, I mean like on the next stroke, on my chin. Bad Approach angle!! Yeah I knew better! Mr. Murphy was in the house it seems. Went ahead and did the XTG, just wasn't feeling it, no more seepage, but I grabbed the Flare tip and did the ATG pass and clean up. Would have been a BBS++ If not for the seepage.

Only alum sting was on the nicks. Finished with the Paladin ASB with a couple of spritzes of the Acqua Di Parma. And followed that with a few more spritzes on the pluse points. Yeah I'm BBS+ and smelling great! FYI, the AdP and the Nuàvia - Rossa pair together great, IMHO!!

Setup 3-24-2018

I've fallen behind in journal reading. I plan on catching up tonight and if necessary tomorrow.

Whoa that was quite the catch up! Awesome shaves and nice Baccy haul!

Whew, quite the catching up lol. Excellent shaves Craig! Partagas was one of my favorite cigar brands back in the day when I smoked them.

Back