The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

There's a lot in one post there. First congrats on the 800. I'm sure there are many battle wounds built into that number.

And thank you for all the time put into that razor. I'm honored by all the work you've put into it. I hope I can due it justice.

And finally, I wanna see a shuttle!! We went to Cape Canaveral just a month before they open their shuttle exhibit. I've see one overhear on top of the plane that shuttled it back to the cape, but never up close.

Monday 3/26/18
Straight Shave #801

Rubberset 400 TGN 24mm Finest
G.Wostenholm Pipe Razor
L.A. Shaving "Myrkvior"
Truefit and hill "freshman"

Did a quick touch up on the Welsh slate and the results were great. The soap...well, the soap is going in the "to-go" box, it is a non-performer that will not be used again. Shame really, i enjoy the light yeasty scent. Despite the fading lather from hell (a.k.a Los Angeles) the shave went well and the two day growth was easily wiped away.

I guess today's lather issue proved that all that is needed is a slick surface, good stretching and a sharp blade.

Nice shave Chris, albeit with the disappearing lather ala Williams (for me at least).

I didn't have good luck with LA Shaving either when I used a couple years back.

I have to wonder if the new releases by Groomatorium are any better performers...or if the scents are any stronger?

So I just realized. This site doesn't have the laundry incident story on it yet. Chris I think you better transplant that story.

Cvargo said:
So I just realized. This site doesn't have the laundry incident story on it yet. Chris I think you better transplant that story.
I’ve posted it to the Newbie section under my personal entry. If I find any others i’ll Put them there too.

Wednesday 3/28/18
Straight shave #803

• WD 24mm silvertip
  • Lisa's Natural test sample #3
  • Carl Monkhouse 5/8 Wedge (in Easy Aces scales)
  • Florida Water
  • Burberry London
Today is day 2 of Lisa's Natural sample #3. I enjoy this scent although i have no idea what it is. I thought it was a Nag champa or Patchouli like scent when i smelled it on arrival but it lathers into a very different scent, brighter and more citrus like than incense like. The performance of this soap is far better than my experience with sample #2. Lathering with a synthetic made a quick and easy lather but the badger brush was rather difficult...sort of. I say difficult because it never achieved a volume or loft, just filed the brush and covered my face with a thinner creamy lather. If i were looking for a more traditional lather I might be upset but knowing "lather" doesn't have to be thick and full to do a great job i pressed on.

The razor for today is one i have really enjoyed, it has a beautiful shape and feel in hand and delivers a great result. I picked this razor up in 2016, it was listed on eBay as an Easy Aces but it was obvious to all who looked that it was NOT a Genco. The hinge pin is a gnarly looking job that looks a little like a nail turned pin, but it functions perfectly. The size and shape are VERY reminiscent of the Genco Easy Aces but it is marked "wedge" on one side (despite being a hollow ground blade). Only this morning did I notice the markings on the other side indicate this is a Carl Monkhouse razor. The irony is, i have wanted a CMON for some time now but wasn't willing to pay the cost for the ones I have seen. This particular specimen was picked up for a grand total of $15. Great steel at a great deal.

The shave itself resulted in a very pleasing BBS with great post shave feeling.

Great razor find. I hadn't heard of him before and had to look it up, but that seems to be quite the razor.

Great shave with a neat hybrid mixer razor! Obviously a 'fixin with what ya got' situation there.

Back